The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

How to Promote Sweepstakes on Pop Traffic: Short Guide

emily bizprofits

Affiliate
Affiliate Manager
BizProfits
If we know anything about starting out in affiliate marketing, it’s this: don’t plunge head-first. There are easy verticals to start out with and appropriate traffic sources to promote them on. One of such promising offer-traffic source combinations is sweepstakes offers on pop ads.

We have prepared a short guide that you can use to embark on this journey (as advised by affiliate marketers with years of experience in this field).

1. Choose the type of sweepstakes. There are two main categories available in our network – gadgets (iPhones, Samsungs, etc.) and gift cards (Walmart, Costco, etc.) You will want a type with multiple geos available, such as iPhone 7. Ask your AM to recommend some well-converting offers and select 2 or 3 similar ones with rather low payouts. The low payouts will make sure you don’t overspend on testing.

2. Prepare prelanders. Sweepstakes ALWAYS require prelanders, direct-linking will not work here. There is a debate going on whether you should create your own ones or just subscribe for spying tools and use what’s already been used successfully by other affiliates. If you are a complete newbie, using those that already exist seems a better option. However, you will have to clean up each prelander a little and make sure it includes no redirect scripts and other junk. It is recommended to prepare as many prelanders with different angles as possible – it will help in testing. (!) Note: if the spying tool shows that a certain prelander works well in several translations, you can then translate it into other languages and count on similar results. Grab 5 – 10 prelanders to test.

3. Choose a geo to start with and a traffic source. Since you are only starting out, aim for a non-competitive geo and an ad network that will provide enough traffic for such geo. PropellerAds and Zeropark are best to start with. A smart move is to sign for both or even more, which will broaden your perspective.

4. Set up a campaign and start testing prelanders. Since there are two variables in the offer-prelander combination that you are looking for, you need to lock at least one of them. That is, you can test multiple prelanders with the same well-converting offer, or you can test different offers with a prelander that you know works well. We here chose the prelander-first approach, as it’s easier to find a good prelander (with spying tools) than a good offer.

5. Cut the prelanders that perform worse than others. This calculator will help you identify what’s worth further efforts and what is not (based on impressions and conversions). Cut until you have a single prelander left. (!) Note: If you are seeing a huge number of clicks and zero conversions, it’s likely there are errors in tracking.

6. Once you have identified a winning prelander, find and test more similar offers with it. Cut those that underperform.
When the best offer-prelander combination has been found, continue testing with staggered bids, i.e. duplicate the campaign and set slightly higher and lower bids to see how it will impact the ROI. Continue with the campaign that performs better than the other two.

7. Repeat the sequence for other geos and scale it to other traffic sources.

Pop traffic is good for sweepstakes as it allows to identify trends at a relatively low cost. You will then be able to proceed with more budget-intensive sources such as Facebook ads.

There are different formulas to calculate your testing budget. Some affiliates spend ten times the offer payout, others multiply the average payout by two and then by the number of offers you are testing. Others yet factor in the number of landing pages being tested. Whatever you choose, keep in mind that the money you spend on testing will definitely pay back in the long run.

Hi, I would say, it's not bad, as long as you are using an advertorial page.
If you send pop traffic directly to the product page, It just won't work.

Yes, I tried that a few times. But, It didn't work. How do you find a higher converting offer from a few?

1) Do you directly send traffic (let's say POP traffic) to offers?

or

2) Do you use the landing page(s) for those as well?

Thanks for your comment!

There are different formulas to calculate your testing budget. Some affiliates spend ten times the offer payout

Wanted to ask more abt testing.
i've seen many recommendations about tests. Some of them say that you need at least 70 clicks to call test a success.
Some say you need a week of testing and your daily (!) budget must be around 10 times the payout.
Whats your approach on the longevity of the test and its budget?

When the best offer-prelander combination has been found, continue testing with staggered bids, i.e. duplicate the campaign and set slightly higher and lower bids to see how it will impact the ROI.

Key question - can i make these changes within 1 day or i need them to run 2-3 days to show results? I read info that you need at least 1 week of uninterrupted testing to get correct results. And if you get an itch to change something, you shouldnt do it immediately but let it run for 2-3 days. Is it so?

Pop traffic is good for sweepstakes as it allows to identify trends at a relatively low cost

What trends exactly? Cause PropellerAds for example do not allow target sites by theme or blacklist/whitelist them (if i am not mistaken)

Additional important question - how you choose correct bid for the test?
for 0,5-6CPM you get a big range of impressions available. It all depends on CTR and CR which you yet do not know. Sometimes i heard it could be possible that if you pay more for traffic, in the end it result in higher profits.

You could say "you need to test", but its very pricey to test all possible bidding levels.
What are recommended testing bid levels for sweeps? Lowest possible? Highest? in the middle?

Thanks

Yes, I tried that a few times. But, It didn't work. How do you find a higher converting offer from a few?

1) Do you directly send traffic (let's say POP traffic) to offers?

or

2) Do you use the landing page(s) for those as well?

Thanks for your comment!

Hey, to my own experience you should use advertorial pages.
Think about it this way, if you are running sweeps on pop traffic, people don't expect to see you page. That's why you need to come up with something that will pull their attention to your page. Meaning, big font on prelander, good images.

On top of that, I recommend to use few prelanders and put it on rotation. You need to spend some budget in order to find your best sources and to cut all junk.

Usually sweeps are really easy to convert, and for the beginning I would start with GEO's which are not in 1st tier. Actually it's relevant to all verticals, if you are getting into a new vertical, never start with 1st tier GEOs. It's very competitive and will burn your budgets.

Wanted to ask more abt testing.
i've seen many recommendations about tests. Some of them say that you need at least 70 clicks to call test a success.
Some say you need a week of testing and your daily (!) budget must be around 10 times the payout.
Whats your approach on the longevity of the test and its budget?

Key question - can i make these changes within 1 day or i need them to run 2-3 days to show results? I read info that you need at least 1 week of uninterrupted testing to get correct results. And if you get an itch to change something, you shouldnt do it immediately but let it run for 2-3 days. Is it so?

What trends exactly? Cause PropellerAds for example do not allow target sites by theme or blacklist/whitelist them (if i am not mistaken)

hey, 70 clicks is not exactly accurate. To what I know, 3 days is good, proper test. No changes, during a test.
3 days will allow you to black list junk sources, to find good converting offer, and to understand which advertorial page converts better. Then once you black listed all junk sources. you should run 1 week test, to get dipper in numbers. Best converting days/hours, devices, browsers.
When you launch a test, be ready to dedicate a certain budget for the test. The larger statistical sample you have the more accurate stats are. Even if you see that you are losing money with a certain source, don't apply any changes until the end of the test. Negative outcome is also a result. (well unless if you have 100k clicks with 0 conversions=) )

Additional important question - how you choose correct bid for the test?
for 0,5-6CPM you get a big range of impressions available. It all depends on CTR and CR which you yet do not know. Sometimes i heard it could be possible that if you pay more for traffic, in the end it result in higher profits.

You could say "you need to test", but its very pricey to test all possible bidding levels.
What are recommended testing bid levels for sweeps? Lowest possible? Highest? in the middle?

Thanks

Most of the traffic platforms have recommended bid. Always set your bid to minimum, and monitor how much traffic you get. If you see that you are not getting a single impression, put a higher bid then. Never start with recommended bid. Only in case if you are not getting any traffic on your campaigns, you should go for recommended bid.

Usually sweeps are really easy to convert, and for the beginning I would start with GEO's which are not in 1st tier.

Thanks for the replies and advices, Sean!

Well, with lower tier Geos i found that since payout is very low ($0,22-0,45), traffic must be really dirt cheap for you succeed.
Here is one of my threads where i told abt strange results i got from testing sweeps in Brazil

I tested another offer.
Got CR 1/11 and CTR (impressions to clicks) around 1,1% which is "normal" for the mainstream i was told.
BUT. with lowest Brazil traffic cost on PropellerAds = 0,5 (and i got very few impressions with this price) and very low payout of $0,22 i cant figure out how on earth i can be profitable, since even with my good conversion rates i still get -51% ROI.

Are tier 3 countries only good for testing in this case? And as soon as i discovered a successful working chain "landing+targeting, etc" i should move it to offer with high payout?

What i need to do in this case, pals?

Advice is more then welcomed!

Hey, to my own experience you should use advertorial pages.
Think about it this way, if you are running sweeps on pop traffic, people don't expect to see you page. That's why you need to come up with something that will pull their attention to your page. Meaning, big font on prelander, good images.

On top of that, I recommend to use few prelanders and put it on rotation. You need to spend some budget in order to find your best sources and to cut all junk.

Usually sweeps are really easy to convert, and for the beginning I would start with GEO's which are not in 1st tier. Actually it's relevant to all verticals, if you are getting into a new vertical, never start with 1st tier GEOs. It's very competitive and will burn your budgets.

You are right, Sean. In fact, I started on tier 1 countries just because the payouts are relatively higher. Now, I see what mistakes I have made in past. They are good experiences.

Thanks for your explanation. :)

banners
Back