The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

How to do Niche Keyword Research

Linda Buquet

affiliate
After you get your list of things you are interested in or passionate about, then use this example to flush out which niches (key phrases) have enough interest, yet aren't too competitive. (Newbies need low competition, if you have more experience you can handle more.)

These exercises and examples can be used not only for niche marketing research, but also for doing keyword research for SEO purposes or for determining what key phrases to write new articles and blog posts about.

Step by Step KW Research: Help finding a niche

Another example with more tips: http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5...h-keyword-competitive-research.html#post35998

This one is fairly similar, using a different niche. <a href="http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5staraffiliateprograms.com/newbie-affiliate-forum/12699-newbie-interested-affiliate-programs.html#post38278">Step by step Key word research to evaluate niche</a>

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a huge database for affiliates success in any niche. I will bookmark it and come to it again and again. Thanks Linda for this info.

Its nice,supportive forum and also provides a lot of information and guidance for marketing research techniques also gives help for accessing most appropriate resources.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on, Linda. Yes that is true your success on your online business sometimes mainly lays on the right keyword you have. Right keyword research make you compete better on your niche market and even make way for you to gain better online visibility.

Thanks Linda for that great piece of information and let's enhance all of that and bring out some hard core numbers here so that things will be a lot clearer to beginners.

The obvious or not so obvious deal in keyword market research is that you want to find a profitable niche

Profitable niche = large number of searches in proportion to number of competing websites

But it's not just the ratio you want to be focused on but also the actual number of searches of a keyword phrase per *day*.
You want no less than 80 searches per day for ANY given keyword if you're going to be using SEO to optimize your website and No less than 100 searches per day for any given keyword phrase if you're going to be using Pay Per Click (such as Adwords or Yahoo)

On the other side of the ratio you don't want any more than 30,000 competing websites for any given keyword.

Also keep in mind that one particular keyword phrase = market.
So for example the keyword "golf" is a market just as "golf clubs" is a market just as "irons" is a market.

There are three seperate markets here, even though they are also sub-niches within one large market (which in this example would be golf market)
This is by no means the end all to the final equation of whether a keyword phrase is going to be a profitable niche for you.

Once you've dug out a keyword phrase with more than 80 daily searches and less than 30,000 competing websites, then you'll need to dig deep to find out the quality of backlinks those competing websites have and whether they are listed with DMOZ or other directories.

This can take quite a bit of time but it is worth it, and also now adays there are killer pieces of software that give you information within minutes that would have ordinarily taken you hours or even days. Good luck ;)

Yes I agree, subniches are the way to go in those competitive arenas. Google trends is a way to get ideas about what is hot and a combo of wordtracker and google keyword search will help hone down your ideas to one that is viable to use as a niche

Gtends was actually the first tool i used and it helps a lot. Although, if you really want to break down the numbers, i would go for Adwords since it gives a specific number where as Gtends tends to change everytime you refresh the page. Either one helps ,and there are so many niches out there, so just go for it !:)

Great Thread

Nice thread Linda you got to have a niche auidence before you have anything converting. I think this will help alot of people.Mike.

old thread, but good information.
just a small tip - you might want to have a separate AdWords account just to test the real search volumes for a chosen keyword BEFORE you start investing heavily in the niche.
what you do is place high bids for the keywords for very short periods of time (think 10s of dollars bids for 24H), but write poor copy (to minimize clickthrough). if the numbers you get match what wordtracker shows you, happy days. if not, you might want to research some more - you can never rely on tools to estimate what real volumes of traffic Google sees for specific keywords.

To get my keyword ideas I use google adwords and google trends, but I have realized that you need to follow the trends all the time because they can change very quickly. And I also understood that long tail keyword can bring a lot of relevant traffic..

I see Google Trends and Keyword Tool brought up a few times. If you really want to make keyword and niche market research much easier consider using Google Insights. If you have no clue about what niche when using Insights just leave the search blank and don't pick a category. You can always drill down later by category. If you think you have found a trending product/ niche chooses a different timelime for your filter like 90 or 30 days. A breakout term can be a goldmine. Sign in if you want to see numbers.

Google Wonder Wheel is a great way to find sub or micro niches ... give it a try and use Insights along side of it.

Thank you for information. It is really helpful. As for the keywords - I use Google Insights and some local programmes, to fill in the form at Adwords. And it really helps.

I'm going to use that Linda. I was using a free trial of a software that helps analyze keywords and I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out the results. LOL Your way doesn't seem so cumbersome. Thanks!

banners
Back