The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

How A Wise Swede Got Even Wiser (My 2nd Niche Site)

Hey guys!

It's been a long time since you've heard from me, but fret not - I'm still around!

This is my 2nd follow along. You can read about my first one HERE.

Introduction

(Skip this section if you just want to read about the new site)

I'll use exactly the same approach as in my first follow along. Why? Because it works. However, you may be wondering what the point of this 2nd follow along is.

Well, when I'd been running my site for close to 3 months, I saw a message from Oliver (K) where he pointed out that my following was small (compared to what could be expected after 3 months I guess).

At first I didn't reflect upon it very much, as I was busy building links. However, as I was getting ready to go to sleep, the short line from K kept being played in the back of my mind. So, knowing I wouldn't be able to sleep, I looked into it.

After 3 months, I had 335 followers on Tumblr, ~100 followers on Twitter, ~2k followers on Pinterest, ~160 followers on G+ and ~40 followers on Facebook. When looking at how few that were sharing my links/posts, it felt like I was putting in lots and lots of effort and got very little in return.

So I decided to do a little experiment. I suspected that my niche was too generic, whereas my products generated little interest in people to pass them forward (kinda like in a "oh, those are cool. let's move along" fashion). I decided to look for a niche where people were sharing way more content than my current audience, and I found one with just a few 1st page competitors.

My New Site

My new niche site was started on Saturday, May 3rd. It's not even been a week yet and let's just say that I love when it turns out I'm right about my suspicions. :)

The previous site's got visits from 988 users in 3 months time. So far, on this one, I've had 991. I beat my old site in just six days!

But it doesn't stop there. Some of my products are already shown on the 2nd page of Google and my followers are just CRAZY about sharing my stuff. I wish I could show you my stats from ahref, but unfortunately it cannot find stats for the site yet. :)

Speaking of followers, I'm getting plenty of those too;
  • Tumblr: 223
  • Google+: 5 (and 425 on a pen name account, which will drive people to my G+ page)
  • Pinterest: 105
  • Twitter: 65
  • Facebook: 0 (just started promoting it)
  • WeHeartIt: 330
  • TheFancy: 7

The most important aspect I was looking for among followers - when trying to find a niche - was passion. I needed them to be truly passionate about the things they discussed. It had to be a niche they'd defend with the lives of their mothers if somebody questioned/attacked it. And so far it's working out fairly well!

I am now getting significantly more shares on all the social networks than my first niche site got. My most popular product on the previous Tumblr account got 7 notes (yes, after 3 months). The most popular product on my new Tumblr account currently has 70(!) notes. Go figure. :)

Conclusion

Before you start bashing me about my post, please keep in mind that I did NOT create this follow along to brag; even though it may appear that way. What I'm trying to demonstrate is how bloody damn important it is to target the right niche, which I found out the hard way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly happy that my first site builds really slow. It's allowed me to exercise patience and really challenge myself into never giving up, plus it'll make the following sites that I build feel like a breeze. :) Furthermore, it's gonna be a lesson I'll never forget and it should keep me from picking really bad niches from now on.

I hope this is useful for some of you, and I hope to see some active users peeking into and commenting on this not so private diary. :)

Thanks for reading,

Michael

Last edited:
Why would anyone bash you about your post? Really great work, looking forward to seeing how it develops. Considering buying Screw95 myself...

Your other thread was great so looking forward to this.
Thanks man, I appreciate knowing people are keeping an eye on what I'm up to. :)

Why would anyone bash you about your post? Really great work, looking forward to seeing how it develops. Considering buying Screw95 myself...
At the time I was writing the post I was so excited and it felt like my post came out a little "braggy", I guess I just needed to emphasize what my purpose of the post was. :)

Have you checked out Jay's (Screw95 author) free videos? How do you like them, and have you tried anything from them?

Thanks man, I appreciate knowing people are keeping an eye on what I'm up to. :)

At the time I was writing the post I was so excited and it felt like my post came out a little "braggy", I guess I just needed to emphasize what my purpose of the post was. :)

Have you checked out Jay's (Screw95 author) free videos? How do you like them, and have you tried anything from them?

Haha fair enough. It didn't come off as braggy at all, just proud that you're getting somewhere. Yeah I'm currently setting up my first affiliate website using his guides on his Youtube channel. :)

Alright guys, I suspect some of you have been waiting for an update on my progress and I just want to say how grateful I am with your patience. I'm pleased to say that some of you will find this post inspiring and hopefully get you to either start your own site or get back on working on one you already run. So here we go! :)

The Site

The website's been running for 2½ weeks. During this time it's been attracting plenty of followers and visitors. The bounce rate is a bit high, but again, that's the reddit lurkers having a 5 second look and leaving. At least I get my links on there!

It's generated a few sales, which you'll see in the stats below. Spoiler alert: I'm quite pleased with the results!

The Stats

2014-05-21 13_25_46.png
Google Analytics (Total)

2014-05-21 13_26_27.png
Google Analytics (Since Last Update)

2014-05-21 13_27_30.png
Google Analytics (Total Organic Visitors)

2014-05-21 13_17_26.png
Ahrefs

2014-05-21 13_22_23.png
Top 10 Google Rankings (Just for fun) :)

2014-05-21 13_20_18.png
Total Earnings (Amazon)

Unfortunately, I cannot access my ShareASale account right now, so I'm not sure if there have been any sales there yet. Last time I checked I was still at $0 :)

The Social

I've gained quite a nice bunch of followers in less than 3 weeks, so I'm pretty happy with that. Once I started posting my products it just took off. Once again, having a great niche seems to be key!

• Twitter: 318 (+253 since last update...)
  • Tumblr: 620 (+397)
  • Google+: 155 (and 541 on pen name account) (+226)
  • Pinterest: 311 (+206)
  • WeHeartIt: 557 (+227)
  • TheFancy: 61 (+54)
  • Facebook: 32 (+32)

And, remember that most popular product, with 70 notes, on Tumblr? Well, it's still quite popular :) It's currently up at 155 notes and another one just broke the 100 mark!

The Conclusion

So, as I've already told you, I'm very pleased with my progress. The website is such a contrast to my first niche site. I put hours of hours of my days into promoting the old site and building links to it, and the main keyword still wouldn't climb higher than page 5 or so. While with this website, my audience absolutely loves what I post because it's so related to something they hold close to their hearts, causing them to post my links everywhere.

I hope this mini-report is useful to some of you, and that it will help you get motivated enough to start taking action. That's what it's all about, and how you really learn. Failure seems to have paid off in my case. Can't wait to see what this site looks like in two months or so!

Thank you for reading,

Michael

Cool! How's that going so far?

Struggling with procrastination but I'm inching some progress. Just have to smash it out from now on. Starting building a new site today, I'll probably make a follow along thread about it :)

Your site is looking good! Do you just post pics of the products you're promoting on your social accounts? Or do you do memes and stuff as well?

Good question! So far I've only posted the products, because they're quite interesting on their own. However, I just finished queuing up niche related images for an entire month (2 images per day), on Facebook/Twitter/G+ and Tumblr. Hopefully I'll see an increase in the follower rate!

Can't wait to see your thread, mate! :)

Last edited:
Okay, since I'll be heading out today I'll only give you a quick update with images and followers. No additional mumbo-jumbo from me. I'm very happy with my following though, so keep an extra eye on that. :) Have a nice weekend, y'all!

The Site

Been running for 4 weeks. Here are the results.

The Stats

anl_total.png
Google Analytics (Total)

anl_since_last.png
Google Analytics (Since Last Update)

anl_organic.png
Google Analytics (Total Organic Visitors)

ahrefs.png
Ahrefs

rank.png
Top 10 Google Rankings (Just for fun) :) -- Main KW ranked at #63, which is the best so far. Been jumping between 67-8#-9# and back several times. Gotta love the dance.

amazon.png
Total Earnings (Amazon)

ShareASale $0 (only got 2 products from it atm)

The Social

Scheduled viral images for a whole month (a total of 60 images, 2 posts per day), on G+/Twitter/FB and Tumblr. Quite successful!

• Twitter: 367 (+49 since last update...)
  • Tumblr: 1129 (+509)
  • Google+: 185 (and 589 on pen name account) (+78)
  • Pinterest: 551 (+240)
  • WeHeartIt: 593 (+36)
  • TheFancy: 139 (+88)
  • Facebook: 39 (+7)

The popular product has broken the 200 notes mark on Tumblr and many more products are following the same path, so I'm pretty happy!

The Conclusion

Almost doubled my Tumblr following since last update. That... is.... insane! Have a great weekend, guys!

Thanks for reading,

Michael

MI
Back