The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Help with Wordpress/HostGator/NameCheap

gregor100

affiliate
So I am literally tearing my hair out with this. In summary... I have NEVER built a website of any kind before.

I understand this is probably the wrong forum all together to be posting this in but I figure someone might be able to help.

Basically I was reading the case study about 'Wine Aerator World' over on the the lazy ass stoner and I decided that was exactly what I wanted to do.

I picked my niche and then did everything that he did in the case study - make a wordpress page, get host gator, buy a domain with namecheap... This is where it all goes wrong.

I redirected the DNS over at namecheap to point to the nameservers host gator gave me, I changed the primary domain over at wordpress to the domain name, I isntalled wordpress on hostgator and everything was all good. I uploaded the theme to hostgator and I started playing around with it in wordpress. (I never really achieved anything as I didnt know what I was doing, but this is a whole different issue).

Today i come home from work and go to my URL and it just takes me to this page;
i . imgur . com / lDBsuUd.png (Cant post links yet, i'm sure you guys are smart enough to work this one out haha)

Now, last night I was on wordpress, edited the theme, previewd it, everything was looking OK and starting to take shape. I'd downloaded a theme and uploaded it through hostgator and I was editing it fine. Today it just gone. It's just NOT there. At all. There is no sign I ever edited the site.

I am honestly SO frustrated I can't even think straight. I am DESPERATE to get the ball rolling with this and I am getting stuck with stupid little technical issues.

My friend followed the same guide as me but he just paid for a domain through wordpress and edits his themes that he bought off wordpress. EXTREMELY annoying, I wish i'd just done that but I am now so annoyed that I can't let this go.

*** Reading back over this I realise it just looks like a total mess of random questions, hopefully some kind soul can help me out somehow hahaha***

Don't panic we are here to help!

Firstly inbox or leave me the domain here - it looks to me like a cache issue - have you emptied you cache?

Also I built a free video course on WordPress installation here so check it out for some more help, WordPress Step by Step.

Do not worry we will get to the bottom of this!

Don't panic we are here to help!

Firstly inbox or leave me the domain here - it looks to me like a cache issue - have you emptied you cache?

Also I built a free video course on WordPress installation here so check it out for some more help,

Do not worry we will get to the bottom of this!

Jesus christ. I cleared my cache and it now appears to be working.

Cannot believe it was this simple hahaha, this whole incident should give everyone a good indication of just how GREAT I am at this right now!

Thank you. I have a feeling I will make an arse of myself quite a few times in the coming weeks!

I'll watch your guides just now, thank you. I'm having having an issue with the whole wordpress.com and wordpress.org thing... Am I right in saying that you need to be using .org if you want to use plugins? These are all such basic questions, I'd probably benefit from spending a few weeks lurking a wordpress forum to be honest.... God I can't wait to be good at this.

Luke - Thank you for the response. Will refer back to your answer if I get anymore issues but touch wood I seem to be over this hurdle for now..

Your self hosted so you will be able to use plugins and themes - if you need me to install any just pm me details of login, NO charge!

Also watch those videos :)

I am still having problems with this. I took a step back and went onto acbaw, watched through the first few guides.

Everything was going fine up until logging into my admin panel.

Literally followed it step by step, installed wordpress using quick install, clicked on the link to the admin panel, put in the username and password it gave me and it simply says ERROR: The password you entered for the email or username gregor is incorrect. Lost your password?

It is 100%, definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt the username and password they gave me.

Does it need to be the same username as my actual wordpress.com account? On wordpress.com my name is gregor100 but in the quick install I just put 'gregor'? I am stuck. AGAIN!

Going to start annoying people around here haha

Does it need to be the same username as my actual wordpress.com account? On wordpress.com my name is gregor100 but in the quick install I just put 'gregor'? I am stuck. AGAIN!
Why are you on wordpress.com?? I recommend you to change to wordpress.org !!

As far as I know, on wordpress.com you will get only one site, and affiliate marketing isn't allowed.
(but never used wp.com - always only .org​ !!)

Thats my problem! So do I just need to completely forget about wordpress.com and go ahead and sign up a completely new and different account at wordpress.org? i don't really understand... Surely I can just swap them over or something?

Thats my problem! So do I just need to completely forget about wordpress.com and go ahead and sign up a completely new and different account at wordpress.org? i don't really understand... Surely I can just swap them over or something?
1.) yeah, completely forget wordpress.com !

2.) with wordpress.org you don´t need an account or whatsoever.

I figured this out boys, just gonna sy what I did incase any other clown has this problem!

basically I'd signed up over at wordpress.com and made a blog. This was fucking everything up. I got confused and pointed my DNS servers over at namecheap to point to wordpress.com as well instead of hostgator.

Go on to wordpress and fucking delete your entire site. Point your nameservers to hostgator. Install wordpress. Done.

Completely forget about wordpress.com!

Completely forget about wordpress.com!

So it is!!

Forget wp.com, always use only wordpress.org !

Then either install WP directly on your webspace (at hostgator with the software fantastico),
or download WP on your local hard disk and then upload it to your hosted database with a FTP (e.g. FileZilla).

Simply :)

MI
Back