The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Handing out leaflets how effective ?

temi

affiliate
I used to handout leaflets about my business outside computer fairs and other venues where people who may be interested in my services are know to frequent. This was done in conjunction with other adverts methods, I really cannot tell how effective the lefletting was but I have seen statistics that seem to suggest you get about 4 or 5 % response rates from leaflet distribution.

Have you use this marketing method before? what was the response like?

leafleting is one of the best forms of marketing (on a ROI basis). The trick is to make sure you hit the right demographic.

you mentioned 'computer fairs', I am not sure if that would be the best place to target, although it depends what product you were targeting of course.

if you are trying to get businesses individually interested, then certainly that is not the place.

Damn I could write an article about this, because as i am typing I am contradicting myself with thoughts like " hang on Old Welsh Guy, that isn't exactly true, because leafleting a computer trade fair with a leaflet about reselling packages and a high level of support would been Ideal situation" :(

Ok so deep breath and a statement, here goes.

Leafleting is probably the best offline method of marketing reactively! BUT it depends on the the time old FACT of the 3 basic rules of the perfect marketing campaign

1. Right message
2. Right person
3. Right time.

If you get those threee elements right, then you are marketing, get them wrong and you are advertising!

OK I just decided I need to write this up as an article LOL

I would say a 4 to 5% result rate was on the high side for this kind of advertising, I would think its more 1 to 2%.

Its a lot of hard work for such a small return rate. You would possible do better by trying to get your service inside the official program guide, people tend to sit and read those at home as they also contain other related products/services.

There is also nothing worse for business than seeing your advertising on the ground trodden on when some people drop or throw them when out of your site. :sorry:

There is also nothing worse for business than seeing your advertising on the ground trodden on when some people drop or throw them when out of your site. :sorry:

I like the bit about your advert being trodden on, yes, it can be 'orible' . In a previous life, I worked at a manager at ........ , part of their marketing mix is quarterly leafleting, I think they got very good response rate (5-6%) they usually attach a money off voucher, that is probably what did the trick for them, we all like discounts and BOGOFFs

Now I would got the other way :)

OF COURSE the large % of your lefalets are going to end up on the floor, 97% would be the average! :(

I would simply accept this, and measure how far away from the point of distribution they were being dropped the farther the better IMo. because THAT means I have grabbed and held their attention! :)

I am a salesman at heart, I am currently setting up a new venture, and to PROVE to my new salesteam that what i say can be done CAN be done, I intend sitting down along side them in front of them all, and telesell my new product. This is how a good sales/marketing person works.

1. I keep ACCURATE records
2. I ONLY record decision maker calls as counting towards my ratio.
3. I keep going.

What do I mean?

SIMPLE.

Marketing is ALL about delivering your message to the three points I mentioned earlier.

Right message, right time, wrong person = no sale

Right time, right person, wrong message = no sale

Right message, right person, wrong time =- no sale

Do you see how it works?

If I call someone to sell them a new TV, and they have just bought one, does that mean my product is poor? NO it means the timing is wrong. Can I do anything about the timing? NO so i have done nothing wrong = MOVE ON TO NEXT PROSPECT.

If I call someone who is unable to take any new work on, does that mean my product is poor? NO, IF he/she likes the product, and IF you have sold it properly, then you should be able to ask him/her for referrals, and sell to them EASIER as you have been referred.

IF I am speaking to the Saturday girl who does not make the buying decisions, is that a problem of my product? NO.

BUT and this is the point:~

IT IS YOUR JOB TO ENSURE YOU ARE DEALING WITH A DECISION MAKER.

Right person
Right message
Right time

Temi I think I am writing my article as we speak LOL.

I like the bit about your advert being trodden on, yes, it can be 'orible'

You can live with you thinking its 'orible' but not when your would be customers think its 'orible' I remember some business/advertising stuff I was involved in some years ago and being told about the sub conscious mind seeing stuff on the ground as rubbish and relating that to the services on the paper/leaflet.

Temi I think I am writing my article as we speak LOL.

I agree with you, I think you post has turned to a mini article :)

If all the important point you mentioned and the item on sale if of high enough value, and a high number of the 3% response converts to sale, it will more than pay for the leaflet and leave enough profit for the next campaign.

I will definitely consider using it a part of my marketing mix if I sell items that could be marketed using leaflets.

Temi, marketing is about calls to action.

When considering the nbast path of action, you need to think about what and when the people are going to get the message.

RIGHT TIME ;)

Can someone ask questions about this to save me blathering on all night?

I have been to watch Wales CRUSH Italy in the six nations today, and it is close to my bedtime LOL

Can someone ask questions about this to save me blathering on all night?
Just keep blathering LOL...
The question is, given that most of the audience in this forum probably use search engine marketing for their services, do you think they can still benefit from using this very traditional marketing method called leaflets, say a web designer for example, could his business benefit from him going to the high street and distributing well written and well printed leaflets to boost his sale?

Seeing as we did this recently as a test market for a web design product we are launching (part of the above), I can say ABSOLUTELY.

but it MUST be the right message. if your message is the same as everyone elses, then you are wasting your money.

Which brings me on to the next point. Reactive and pro-active marketing and the hybrid system.

Reactive = taking an action then waiting for the client to contact you
Pro-active = contacting the client direct.

i prefer the hybrid system where you drop a leaflet say, then telesell it immediately afterwards, with an opening line of, 'we dropped leaflet into your premises recently, did you see it?'. If they say yes, then you go on, if they say no, then you go on anyway!

You must hae a reason to contact a business, and a letter/leaflet is a great opener., it will at LEAST double or treble your sales conversion ratios.

Am I giving away too many secrets? I am off to my bed now as I have some reading to catch up on. My hero is about to plunder Wessex after plundering Mercia, northumberland and East Anglia. However, I thnk he might have underestimated king Alfred brother of Ethelread . Hindsight is a wonderful thing ;)

Leaflets

Hello All

This is my first post.

I have had the privilage of running the UK marketing department for one of the largest logistics companies in the world.

When i first started no one had heard of us and the original method to get the name out was to advertise in any publication known to man any small sporting event i.e rally cars, football grounds i called it the shot gun approach simply you spread the word to a mass audience.

I added a little bit of control and made sure we only targeted niche markets which i knew we where excellent at, which results in a better campaign and also got the name out in key industry sectors. i.e We where excellent in Retail and Automotive Logistics so sponsoring a Fashion show run by high end car manufacturer in a rich area of the country. (dead cert to get Directors and MD's of the right types of companies).

Now i have taken the same targeted process to web design and promoting my business. The idea of handing out leaflets could do a number of people, wastes a lot of paper which ends up in the bin or in the street, or you get saturated with jo public wanting cheap sites they will never actually use and be a pain in the arse.

I have found well placed adverts in places i know business people will be i.e a fitness gym where membership is over £50 a month (simply you know you will get either self employed or senior management) and also dropping business cards into small to medium sizes companies in an industrial estates.

Using this method i have not only gained business from the gym but i have also started to get business and enquiries from the businesses i dropped my business cards into.

Targeted advertising is the best way forward. They say you will get 7% response but in reality you will get less.

Thought i share my views.

cocoonfx,
Thanks very much for sharing your marketing experience with us and welcome to UK WW. So you get less than 7%, but overall, was it worth it? Did you at least recoup your marketing outlay?

MI
Back