The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Going Pro Affiliate Style

BizMan

I've been looking for some help with continuing growth. I am making a decent side income off of affiliate marketing but not enough to justify full time. There are a lot of beginners guides out there, but I've got a good grasp on most of that (selecting a niche, building a site, backlinks, PPC).

What kind of information is the most useful to continue growing? Should I just look for better affiliate programs or focus on better SEO? What info does one need to go pro and do this full time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Should I just look for better affiliate programs or focus on better SEO? What info does one need to go pro and do this full time?

1st I'd evaluate the niche you are in to see if it's really a good place to focus.

2nd many pro affiliates these days are going the PPC route. It can be a faster way to make money if you have money to invest. But like any investment you can also lose money if you don't know what you are doing.

Hi BizMan:
My affiliate sites are basic Cybermalls, No specific niche. I focus on SEO with lots of text and keywords relating to my merchants and what they provide. I don't use PPC. For instance if someone searches Yahoo for "bed and bath outlet stores" My Bed & Bath stores page will come up usually about #7 out of over 10 million. I can live with that since that page gets over 600 hits a month and does generate good revenue.
To keep it short I would try the SEO approach before launching a PPC unless, like linda said, you really know what you are doing.

Good luck,
Tom

I've been looking for some help with continuing growth. I am making a decent side income off of affiliate marketing but not enough to justify full time. There are a lot of beginners guides out there, but I've got a good grasp on most of that (selecting a niche, building a site, backlinks, PPC).
What kind of information is the most useful to continue growing? Should I just look for better affiliate programs or focus on better SEO? What info does one need to go pro and do this full time?

Another tip you may consider to ramp up affiliate profits (hold on to your seat)...

Talk to people face to face.

But before you say "well, duh Joe!"...the people I am referring to are merchants who don't even advertise on affiliate networks at all...they exist...most of them in your local business area (unless you live on a remote island in the Atlantic that is).

I have 3 key personal affiliate business relationships right here in my local business area that make up about 40% or so of my income per month...each and every month...with no affiliate payment hassles, no headaches, etc...

Did it take work upfront to cultivate those relationships? Yep. But anything that's necessary to elevate your affiliate business above the "normal" levels will take real work. It pays off though.

Talk to people...it's been the offline secret to online business for years actually...because almost no one else is doing it. ;)

thanks guys, that is a lot of good info. I have been trying to decide where to go as my main source for new trends. I like the personal communication of the forums better than just reading articles. I think it would be great to go to a conference and talk face to face.

Joseph Ratliff has a great point here. I am the AM for Early to Rise's Affiliate Program and so far we have kept our affiliate program in house. Most of our affiliates are subscribers to our E-Newsletter and our goal is to grow these affiliates organicly. Since most of our affiliates are somewhat new to the business they are very receptive to any marketing tips we offer on how to bring in more sales. I like to communicate with our affiliates by phone whenever possible to add the personal touch. Affiliates apprciate this and even reffered our program to other affiliates out there and snowball effect has begun.

Joseph Ratliff has a great point here. I am the AM for Early to Rise's Affiliate Program and so far we have kept our affiliate program in house. Most of our affiliates are subscribers to our E-Newsletter and our goal is to grow these affiliates organicly. Since most of our affiliates are somewhat new to the business they are very receptive to any marketing tips we offer on how to bring in more sales. I like to communicate with our affiliates by phone whenever possible to add the personal touch. Affiliates apprciate this and even reffered our program to other affiliates out there and snowball effect has begun.

Thanks ETRdahir! :)

As an added benefit to adding a personal touch, talking to people separates what you do from all of the other merchants out there.

Plus, any super-affiliates usually like personal contact with their AM...I know I do. It makes business so much easier to conduct.

And...in the coming years, one of the ways anyone will be able to increase their market share is by reaching potential JV partners, customers, and vendors personally...as many other people will continue to hide behind their computer screens.

Trying to operate an online business of just about any type...let alone an affiliate business (from both the merchant and affiliate's perspective)...will get more and more difficult without having personal "touch points".

Hey Joseph,

Your spot on here as well. Most people who have an internet business are only reachable via e-mail and there doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency to reply. An Online business is still a business and should be treated as such. This means provide a phone number in your contact page and response promptly.

Regards,

MI
Back