The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

ELI5: Mobile Affiliate Newbie Here

papacharlie

affiliate
Just staring out as an affiliate marketer in the mobile space and I've decided I would like to run traffic at app installs. I know many people aren't willing to give up their 'secrets to success' so I'm not sure if I should be expecting much here or not. Either way, Can those familiar give someone like me (not so familiar) a quick run down of how to get things off the ground?

So far I've tried a few traffic sources: airpush and mmedia, driving towards games like game of war, clash of kings and have had no success. i.e 0 downloads and about $100 spend. To provide some more details, I am simply grabbing my affiliate link, plugging it into the aforementioned traffic networks, selecting geo, os, and general targeting interests and then driving that direct to the Play/App Store (with aff link).

What am I doing wrong?

Just staring out as an affiliate marketer in the mobile space and I've decided I would like to run traffic at app installs. I know many people aren't willing to give up their 'secrets to success' so I'm not sure if I should be expecting much here or not. Either way, Can those familiar give someone like me (not so familiar) a quick run down of how to get things off the ground?

Most of us are happy to share our winning ways, we just don't always share our exact campaign details, but we share exactly how we developed them anytime. You need to read between the lines sometimes. Example, I have several content sites in extremely under served niches and I never share the niches of these sites or the links to them because they are my bread and butter at the moment. However, I always share with anyone exactly how I went about finding the niches and developing these sites.

@LukePeerFly , @cashmoneyaffiliate , @williamrs , as well as many others here share incredible details that will lead you to winning campaigns. You just need to read through the forums and you will see an abundance of great details to get yourself up and running a positive ROI.

So far I've tried a few traffic sources: airpush and mmedia, driving towards games like game of war, clash of kings and have had no success. i.e 0 downloads and about $100 spend. To provide some more details, I am simply grabbing my affiliate link, plugging it into the aforementioned traffic networks, selecting geo, os, and general targeting interests and then driving that direct to the Play/App Store (with aff link).

What am I doing wrong?

Can you share your tracking details? Also, have you considered getting some custom landing pages created for your campaigns?

First off I want to thank @tjtutor for your response. It's refreshing to know that there are others out there willing to help.

Can you share your tracking details? Also, have you considered getting some custom landing pages created for your campaigns?

I have considered custom landers but I assume this makes more sense for desktop campaigns. Is it commonplace for mobile as well, such as for app/game installs?

As far as tracking goes I am using affiliate provided tools- I believe has offers. Is there a much better way of doing this?

First off I want to thank @tjtutor for your response. It's refreshing to know that there are others out there willing to help.

You're welcome brother!

I have considered custom landers but I assume this makes more sense for desktop campaigns. Is it commonplace for mobile as well, such as for app/game installs?

You need to split test direct campaigns and campaigns with landing pages. When using a landing page, if you can't build a good one on your own, then get over to the Landing Page Guys (or another resource) and get them done for you.

As far as tracking goes I am using affiliate provided tools- I believe has offers. Is there a much better way of doing this?

I am not certain that you will have enough features available for some of the details you will require when using the typical network trackers. I haven't used them for a while, years, but I do know that Voluum, Thrive, AdsBridge, and a host of others have incredible data dissection that help you really zero in on your targets.

Landing Page Guys, Voluum, Thrive, AdsBridge - all excellent suggestions. I love that Voluum has both a free option and the ability to use a demo account before you commit to anything.

Example, I have several content sites in extremely under served niches and I never share the niches of these sites or the links to them because they are my bread and butter at the moment. However, I always share with anyone exactly how I went about finding the niches and developing these sites.

@tjtutor can you kindly elaborate a bit further on the methods or practices you used to find these verticals?

Also, would it be suggested to pick one vertical/type of offer and stick with it for awhile so as to keep a focus? I see a number of folks suggesting that approach.

Last, I would like to hear thoughts on particular offers that tend to be easier to work with or at least ones to stay away from as a newbie? i.e. I'm not looking for big payouts or high ROI just stuff that has a higher than avg conversion stream so I can get some momentum/data/learning going.

can you kindly elaborate a bit further on the methods or practices you used to find these verticals?

I need to write a guide for the forum I think regarding research. It seems to be the Achilles Heel of most Newbies. They just don't want to do it.

First, you ask how do I find the verticals. I don't find them, they are there for everyone to plainly see. Relationships, money, health, politics, religion, etc.

I think, and correct me if I am wrong, but I think you're asking about niches. You find your niches by researching verticals. In other words, if I wanted to research niches in the Relationship vertical (some might say dating, but it is bigger than that), then I would research topics that relate to Relationships. If I decided to promote within the dating niche, then I would gather all of the information I could find on the breakdown of that niche.

Examples:
deaf people seeking deaf people
men with herpes seeking women/men with herpes
fat girls that like skinny guys
men that love men that love the outdoors
men that love women who love fishing

Etc., etc., etc. Niches are endless. You need to drill down in a vertical to the sub niches and then seek out data on the demographics, available traffic, what brought conversions, subject matter that they respond to, etc.

Also, would it be suggested to pick one vertical/type of offer and stick with it for awhile so as to keep a focus? I see a number of folks suggesting that approach.

YES, YES, YES! As a Newbie, select one vertical, one tracker, and one traffic source to master. If you work full time at it with a reasonable budget, then you will master these first selections within months. By that time, you will have gained enough insider knowledge to begin adding more to your business.

Last, I would like to hear thoughts on particular offers that tend to be easier to work with or at least ones to stay away from as a newbie? i.e. I'm not looking for big payouts or high ROI just stuff that has a higher than avg conversion stream so I can get some momentum/data/learning going.

This is a question that pops up often. the answer is personal and needs to be determined by you and no one else. you have to determine your market, what you are comfortable with, what draws your interest.

My friend Jay is big in the adult market, but it doesn't interest me. I am formidable in the specialized niche market arena and Jay doesn't like that space at all. Different strokes for different folks.

Many experienced marketers suggest that Newbies stick with the big three verticals to begin (money, health, and relationships).

Example: I don't do well with the broad stroke of marketing in the money and wealth market, but I kill it in a very specialized finance market that is severely under served and extremely small. However, my friend Mike is huge with a very broad finance business but he would never make it serving the market I cater to.

You need to split test direct campaigns and campaigns with landing pages. When using a landing page, if you can't build a good one on your own, then get over to the Landing Page Guys (or another resource) and get them done for you.

@tjtutor As far as hosting the landing page, do you host various landers under the same url? Or how do you go about hosting different landers for the various offers you may be running concurrently?

Last edited:
@tjtutor As far as hosting the landing page, do you host various landers under the same url? Or how do you go about hosting different landers for the various offers you may be running concurrently?

You can have as many domains as you like on the same host. Use a single domain for each lander. You will hear, or read, that others use sub-domains and other less than appropriate methods. Always use a single domain for each lander. The exception to this is you can (and should) have multiple versions of your landers on the same domain so they fit the appropriate device screens. this is why many of us have catalogs of domains we maintain so that we always have something available to fit a new campaign.

Last edited:
You can have as many domains as you like on the same host. Use a single domain for each lander. You will hear, or read, that others use sub-domains and other less than appropriate methods. Always use a single domain for each lander. The exception to this is you can (and should) have multiple versions of your landers on the same domain so they fit the appropriate device screens. this is why many of us have catalogs of domains we maintain so that we always have something available to fit a new campaign.

Why can't you use subdomains? What is the advantage of a dedicated domain name per campaign.?

Why can't you use subdomains? What is the advantage of a dedicated domain name per campaign.?

Well, for one thing, landers on sub domains can screw with your sites SEO values.

Another is that if you have a domain with a bunch of sub domain landers, it will appear spammy to the SERPS.

As well, it just doesn't look good, or professional.

Well, for one thing, landers on sub domains can screw with your sites SEO values.

Another is that if you have a domain with a bunch of sub domain landers, it will appear spammy to the SERPS.

As well, it just doesn't look good, or professional.

Ah yes T J, you're obviously right! I was asking in terms of paid traffic where SEO is no priority at all, have you seen any data indicating it matters then? I'd love to do some testing on this, to see how a full fledged domain vs. sub domain affects CVR. Because it's a pain to manage a million domains when you can just set up some clever wild card DNS routing instead.

Thanks for the reply

I was asking in terms of paid traffic where SEO is no priority at all, have you seen any data indicating it matters then?

There are many references to it being more appropriate to use keywords in the domain name for psychological reasons and some tie it to NLP. I've been do it this way so long that I doubt I'll ever go to using sub domains for marketing.

I'd love to do some testing on this, to see how a full fledged domain vs. sub domain affects CVR.

Yeah, well, I have such an abundance of work that this type of effort wouldn't really serve a value for me. Domains are an asset and I always manage to profit from selling domains down the road. There is no value in a sub domain in that respect.

I've just been getting my feet wet in all this recently. I have a couple questions if anyone could help me out.

1.) I made a few conversions but they did not show up in voluum, what did I do wrong? They were for an app install, so I know that the conversion doesn't take place until they open the app, but it should still post back to voluum right?

The url I put into my .hasoffers network was http://XXXXX.voluumtrk.com/postback?cid=[dv1]&p=[conversion revenue]

was it supposed to be the link under the voluum setup tab labeled postback url?

what did I do wrong?

2.) My AM removed me from skype and does not respond to emails.... Before you ask, YES I probably did ask him one stupid question but that was on my first day :)

Now I'm just trying to get the current top offer listing. What should I do?

I didn't understand why I couldn't pull up the offer landing pages when I wasn't in the right geo. Dumb i know but we all started somewhere im sure. Thanks for the advice but my plan is to get a campaign in the green here and get into a better network.

I didn't understand why I couldn't pull up the offer landing pages when I wasn't in the right geo. Dumb i know but we all started somewhere im sure. Thanks for the advice but my plan is to get a campaign in the green here and get into a better network.

There are no stupid questions. All AM's worth their salt know this. If you have been dropped by your AM, I would contact support and ask why.

As for trying to pull up offers landing pages, you may need to use a proxy in order to see them if they are specific to a geo.

banners
Back