“mobile”/ banners
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Duplicate SEF URL's + Google Sitemaps

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimisation' started by redlinemaxed, Jun 17, 2007.

1. redlinemaxed

redlinemaxed Affiliate affiliate

I have a Joomla website with JoomSEF installed (Which creates search engine friendly URL's). However, with Joomla, there are many ways to get to a webpage, through menues, directly, etc and therefore the SEF componant creates many duplicate URL's (eg /red-neon-kit.html, /red-neon-kit-1.html, etc, etc.)

When i create a sitemap using Vigos GSitemap, obviously it lists all of the duplicate URL's. I know that google hates duplicate content and obviously i don't want my site banned. I have tried to limit duplicate URL's as much as i can but some are still appearing.

I would i be best writing my own sitemap file with only the URL's that are important or should i just edit the generated file and delete the duplicate URL records?

I Don't know if anyone here has used Joomla but hopefully you get what im talking about.

I am just worried that Google willban my site for duplicates. Any help is much appreciated. My url is redlinemaxed.co.uk by the way

thanks!

2. cpalife
  3. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy Affiliate affiliate

Don't use Joomla :D

are you saying that Joomla is producing different URL's for the same content? Because the url's you gave are different.

4. redlinemaxed

redlinemaxed Affiliate affiliate

Not using joomla just isn't an option.

That is exactly what i'm saying

5. maldives

maldives Affiliate affiliate

Duplicate url?? How is it possible?

6. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy Affiliate affiliate

Top Resources

MI