The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Don't Alexa count your everyday folk

vicdigi

affiliate
Alexa has confused me on a little matter.

Our holiday site receives more hits than any of our websites including our UK Directory.

In fact - hits to late holiday bargains are in between 17,000 and 20,000 per month.

Traffic comes from search engines - mostly Google and Yahoo, then Orange, AOL, Virgin etc.

Yet our Alexa rank for site stands at almost 2 million.

Whilst Alexa rank for this site is irrelavant as search engine targetted traffic is the what we require - why would the Alexa rank for this be so high?

Is this right that the ordinary people and searchers who do not have the Alexa toolbar on their browser stand for nothing?

...Is this right that the ordinary people and searchers who do not have the Alexa toolbar on their browser stand for nothing?

Here is your answer... Alexa only registers data from the toolbar users.

How do they know?
Google know if you install their script on your site.

if you don't give them a way to track, how can they find it?

Let me come at this from a different angle.

Lets take a look at holiday.co.uk, teletextholidays.co.uk - their Alexa rank is low. It is ordinary everyday folk whom also do not have the Alexa toolbar installed that search their websites - even though webmasters also search for holi-deals!

I think alexa rank can only tell you one thing: Popular with webmasters. As tens of thousands of hits from google/yahoo etc does not always seem to benefit your alexa rank and everyone knows this tool is commonly used by webmasters.

I think alexa rank can only tell you one thing: Popular with webmasters. As tens of thousands of hits from google/yahoo etc does not always seem to benefit your alexa rank and everyone knows this tool is commonly used by webmasters.

Yeah, I am believing this to be the case but still am a little curious though!

MI
Back