The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Do anyone remember Pascal and cobol?

That was some crazy times back in the days. Always amazed how far we have come.

Yep. I remember it. I started coding in Turbo Pascal WAY back... I remember learning to write small routines in inline assembly to put some graphics on the screen. Like switching to Mode X, output single pixels and lines and stuff. Geeky as hell :)

At the time I thought it was incredibly cool because I was hand-coding pretty much everything myself.

Now I can look back see how incredibly inefficient it was.

Nowadays you have the option to leverage a lot of different technologies together with simple script languages and have robust, cash producing websites (just to take an example) in just hours.

It's really amazing if you look at it from that perspective how far we have come.

Ah, the excellent days of Commodores, 286's, and 'extended ram'. I learned BASIC first then moved up to Pascal. Good times & fond memories. :)

That was some crazy times back in the days. Always amazed how far we have come.

Oh yeah, I remember those blue screens with SLOC's (single lines of code). We used to compare KSLOC's at the end of the day when working on those Honeywells, IBM 4330's and 40's, and the Burroughs as well. Got to work on the CRAY at NORAD for three days as well. man have things changed.

Fortran was mostly science based and Cobol of course was business based. Then I got into Basic, then VB, then VBA, then C, then java, then C#, and finally I got into .NET. haven't coded for over fifteen years now.

I don't miss it much to be honest.

haven't coded for over fifteen years now. I don't miss it much to be honest.

Oh man I miss it so much. There's nothing better than having your work appreciated and helping folks get things done.

The thing I *don't* miss are the ungrateful and ignorant folks who have no idea about anything and want you to wave your magic wand when something doesn't work the way they expect it to. THAT's the part that I don't miss. Introvert problems I guess, lol.

The thing I *don't* miss are the ungrateful and ignorant folks who have no idea about anything and want you to wave your magic wand when something doesn't work the way they expect it to. THAT's the part that I don't miss.

Me too, there were lots of arrogant leaders throwing their weight around all the time.

I worked for a business whose database code was so outdated that when Y2K started approaching they hired a couple of elderly dudes to come in and write COBOL to get it ready. It was so outdated that they couldn't even get a restorable backup of the thing. I chatted with the two old guys; they were really interesting and quite funny.

The business finally closed up shop last fall - still running the same database.:D

cobol is a powerful language Some European banks still using it :) but only for calculation purposes

MI
Back