The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

DMOZ Clone directory a waste of space?

temi

affiliate
I wonder if I am the only one in finding open directory clone a complete waste of space, why do what someone else is already doing and doing better than you?

Emm Emmm,
Not at this minute but there are loads of them, I will post a url when I come across one again.

The clone would have the edge if they actually included your site in a reasonable time frame. I actually think it has the potential to be a great idea.

That is part of the annoying thing about it, they do not include your site, they just provide a link to DMOZ inclusion page when you try to include your site.

We are building a directory based on ODp data. However we are moving a lot of categories around, scrapping some, and creating others to make it better than the mess it currently is. Also all submissions will be through us as it is only the data we are using, not a script that dynamically cals data from the ODp.

The ODp is a great resource but it is seriously flawed (for reason best not gone into) ;) But mainly poor/biased/no editors and thouusands of dead links.

You are quite right OWG,
BTW are you still involved with Skaffe or you have abandon that to concentrate on the one you are working on now.
Is the name still confidential or are you able to share it with us now?

Hi Temi, Yes I am still the UK editor for Skaffe, I will not be abandoning that at all, and as for the name well yes we do have it, but not yet ready to release lol.

Cheers OWG,
I look forward to the official name of project code name 'OWG Longhorn' when you are ready to announce it :)

I made the mistake of mentioning to someone online what I intended to call it. I had checked availability of domains, and they were available. Unfortunately this person then went out and registered the domain. Needless to say that is the last time I will ever speak to this person again lol. Some people are just not worth dirt. When I asked why they did this, I was told it is 'dog eat dog' :( & there was me thinking it was 'all pull together ' ;)

That is appalling but not everyone have the same morals/standards but in my experience the first think I do with any new online ventures (even offline ventures this days) it to secure all the relevant domain extension to the name of that project to foil 'dog eat dog' type people.

Now that he has the domain name unless he is in the 'know' he is unlikely to have the resources to make it a success like you will.

Registering a hyphernated version of the domain is not a good idea as he "scumbag" will actually profit from OWG's hardwork, some people who forget OWG's version of the name has a hypen will end up on the "scumbag's" website.

A completely new rebranding is needed.

Hello

Hmmm, really unpleasant surprise. OWG if you think of a full rebranding can you tell us the name of the domain/project?

Ovi

It really isn't a problem honestly lol. It will not put me back at all, after all it is only a directory, and be honest how catchy is DMOZ as a domain name lol? I will rebrand it to whatever I decide as and when we are closer to launch.

The domain will likely be available in a year anyway.

I still can't believe that someone would stoop that low. It may have been an ex-Canaca employee.

No it was someone who is easily controlled. He told someone else who convinced him it would be a great idea to register the name and try to sell it. You have to pity someone who is that easily manipulated really, As I said there are still plenty of good names out there like stripeydog.co.uk which I think is a great name for a uk directory, easily memorised as when you read it you visualise a stripey dog in your minds eye.

And if anyone is going to register it then feel free :d It is a great name (IMO of course) and such a shame to be sat there doing nothing.

I wouldn't do that to you OWG and if I did I wouldn't sell it to you for more than $1000.00

per year ;)

BTW, people allow themselves to be manipulated, if this guy was to use some common sense then he would have realized that purchasing your domain name was a decision minus a backbone. I don't feel sorry for the sucker at all, he was manipulated into being an ass. Manipulated or not, he's still an ass.

banners
Back