The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Cutting Placements for a Profitable Campaign

Bashy

Launching my 4th campaign after 3 failed attempts i am now seeing a profitable campaign without optimization.

Spend : $11.36
Made : $15.00
Profit : $3.64
ROI : +32.04% (if my math is correct lol)

I am using pop traffic and a ripped/tweaked landing page and using CPVlab to track.

Looking at the data in CPVlab i can see a couple of site IDs which are sending lots of traffic but no clicks or conversions and a couple which are showing some clicks but no conversions.

My question is what sort of strategy would you recommend when choosing to cut placements. For example if a site sent 170 visitors and CTR was 0.58% but no conversions or a site with 105 visitors with 0% CTR and 0 Conversions would this be cut.
I'm inclined to cut anything which has sent 100-150 visitors and 0 conversions unless the CTR is 3-5%

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Launching my 4th campaign after 3 failed attempts i am now seeing a profitable campaign without optimization.

I am using pop traffic and a ripped/tweaked landing page and using CPVlab to track.

Most excellent. Now you can clean out the garbage traffic and scale.

Is this mobile pop traffic?

Looking at the data in CPVlab i can see a couple of site IDs which are sending lots of traffic but no clicks or conversions and a couple which are showing some clicks but no conversions.

Very likely bot traffic. You need to block the bad traffic in your traffic source. This is called scrubbing your traffic and it is extremely important to learn to do this and to do it as soon as possible. For one, you do not want bot traffic or fraud traffic and clicks to get to the advertiser, so scrub them. Secondly, you do not want bad traffic to effect your relationship with the network or the advertiser. It will cost you money and may get you into trouble with the network and the advertiser.

My question is what sort of strategy would you recommend when choosing to cut placements. For example if a site sent 170 visitors and CTR was 0.58% but no conversions or a site with 105 visitors with 0% CTR and 0 Conversions would this be cut.
I'm inclined to cut anything which has sent 100-150 visitors and 0 conversions unless the CTR is 3-5%

On pop traffic, I think I'll give a shout-out to @servandosilva for answers on pop ROI.

Thanks for your reply @T J Tutor :)

I'm using Popads for this one tho targeting mobile only.

Today i had 2745 visitors, 104 clicks and 1 conversion. Most of those clicks came from traffic sources which sent 1/2 visitor so a 100-50% CTR. If i'm not mistaken i really need placements to send more traffic to be able to see if its worth keeping or binning.

I'm using a survey style lander without backbutton (wanted to see how this performed first) so i'm assuming most of the clicks are genuine.

I can see a few more siteid which are not performing such as 76 hits and no clicks but i'm not sure if cutting these is too premature.

For scrubbing I'm looking at the ISP's and they all seem genuine but i guess these can be faked with something running in the background. Is detecting JS a good way of removing bots?. I've seen online that most spam bots don't run Javascript.

Thanks for your reply @T J Tutor :)

I'm using Popads for this one tho targeting mobile only.

Today i had 2745 visitors, 104 clicks and 1 conversion. Most of those clicks came from traffic sources which sent 1/2 visitor so a 100-50% CTR. If i'm not mistaken i really need placements to send more traffic to be able to see if its worth keeping or binning.

I'm using a survey style lander without backbutton (wanted to see how this performed first) so i'm assuming most of the clicks are genuine.

I can see a few more siteid which are not performing such as 76 hits and no clicks but i'm not sure if cutting these is too premature.

For scrubbing I'm looking at the ISP's and they all seem genuine but i guess these can be faked with something running in the background. Is detecting JS a good way of removing bots?. I've seen online that most spam bots don't run Javascript.

Be sure to keep an eye in your tracker for traffic coming from the same IP's. As well, when you get an abundance of traffic from one traffic source, keep in mind that many spammers and bots are likely using proxies. Not always, but often, and they can hide themselves inside your traffic. I've always split test a minimum of 5 landers and 5 creatives on rotation. This way, it's easier to see patterns that are not performing. I always depend on the tracker data and always scrub the traffic as quickly as possible.

You cannot remove bots, but you can block their traffic from within most traffic sources. Keep in mind, these traffic sources, most of them, are scrubbing also. However, as much as half of all internet traffic now is bots and as much as 25% in the ad traffic can be bots. The traffic sources are fighting these bots, they are doing their own scrubbing, but it is a "Herculean" task keeping up with it all. This is why we need to scrub also, some of the fraud traffic always gets through the traffic sources scrubbing.

Even though you might be getting bot traffic you should wait a bit longer to ban any placements.
Every visits might not be bots, and if the non-bots are super high quality these placements might be worth running even though 90% of the traffic is coming from bots. Now when you have a converting campaign, let it run for a while, collect data, don't touch it for 5 days, and then make decisions on good and valid data.

Feel free to asking questions though, I know there's a lot of blunders in the beginning.

Thanks @comegetbravo

I've got a good amount of data so far but nothing that screams out to me that i should cut XYZ etc.

Right now my stats for the past 3 days are 13,807 visitors, 285 clicks 10 conversions. All told i'm $2.08 up as yesterday was a low day with 1 conversion and $14 spend, then today was 3 conversions with $4.22 spend.

I think ill run it for another 2 days as you mentioned to see what happens. See if i can spot any trends in the data and adjust targeting to suit.

This is my first profitable campaign so trying to learn as much as i can while it lasts and hopefully make a small profit.

Thanks @comegetbravo

I've got a good amount of data so far but nothing that screams out to me that i should cut XYZ etc.

Right now my stats for the past 3 days are 13,807 visitors, 285 clicks 10 conversions. All told i'm $2.08 up as yesterday was a low day with 1 conversion and $14 spend, then today was 3 conversions with $4.22 spend.

I think ill run it for another 2 days as you mentioned to see what happens. See if i can spot any trends in the data and adjust targeting to suit.

This is my first profitable campaign so trying to learn as much as i can while it lasts and hopefully make a small profit.

Good job here [B]@Bashy[/B] :cool:
Thank you for sharing, looking forward to
your success! :D

Been a while since my last reply. Thanks for the messages everyone.

Since this is my first profitable campaign I've made loads of mistakes but I've also been testing. Basically just trying to optimize off my own instincts which has been hit and miss. I've worked out the best time of the day to run the offer, the best landing page and the best traffic source. Sadly the traffic source is limited in traffic for my targeting so it wont make tons. Having said that I'm not sure if i went too targeted too soon. I may run another campaign for the same offer and start again to confirm my results.

Ideally i need a lander which has a higher CTR but I'm not sure if the offer will even produce that, its not exactly thrilling. The first lander i tried has always done the best but CTR is still in the 0.5-1% mark. CVR is anywhere from 4.5% to 50% depending on the number of clicks that day. Sounds off but as an example 6 clicks today, 3 conversions.

Still finding this fun and enjoy the experience :)

banners
Back