The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

CNAME without loss of email?

lala56

affiliate
I have to point a website at shopping.netsuite.com, but cannot loose any email accounts. I heard there is a standard www CNAME or sth like that, which could be used. Checked in DNS settings for domain, but cannot see anything like that. Does anyone have an idea? I am lost...

lala :confused:

Lala,
I assume its ONLY the website you want to point at netsuite but you want to leave the email hosted where it currently hosted, I'm I right?

Hi Temi,

That is right. Sorry, I always have trouble expressing myself clearly. Might be the German way to do things...;) Do you know how to achieve this?

lala

Lala,
You can easily do this from the control panel of your domain name registration/hosting company. Lets assume you site is currently hosted on a cPanel, do the following:
go to domain WHM once you have login, click on the
Redirects Icon, insert the destination url (shopping.netsuite.com) change the
"Temporary" to "Permanent" , Click add and that is it.

The step will naturally be different if your site is now hosted on cPanel. Some domain name registration company such as easily.co.uk actually makes even easier than the above steps. Who is you domian registered with, 1 and 1 ?

It is 1 and 1. And Netsuite requires a CNAME redirect or A-record listing. Other possibilites would not work properly.

lala

I think you should log a support ticket with 1 and 1 asking them to tell you how to do it from their control panel. I have tried it in cPanel so its possbile.

They do only a meta refresh or frame redirect. That would not do the job, so for now I created a sub-domain, for which only I have created the CNAME. I am still researching the subject...;)

lala

I meant they do CNAME for any domain, but you loose the email accounts if you do for any main domain...

The German explain everything so long and complicated;)

lala

That must be how their system is set up. Looks like you have to make a choice between going ahead with the CNAME modification and losing your email functionalities.

They do only a meta refresh or frame redirect. That would not do the job, so for now I created a sub-domain, for which only I have created the CNAME. I am still researching the subject...;)

lala

Lala,
Keep researching but I you have your domain with a provider and the provider has not setup their sytem to behave the way you desire, research will not be much help without the provider's help. I think you should give them a call and find out of they are fexible enough to bend their rule just this once :)

banners
Back