The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Can sombody clarify my undserstanding of AM

urbano

affiliate
I am new to this so am havign info overload but kno wI will get there eventually.

So I sign up to a network and get accepted. I decide to run an offer on super dooper dog food.
  • I decide my trafiic will be paid
Now this is wher emy first confussion comes in . I want people to see an ad for super dooper dog food and my goal of this campaign is to get hem to submit their email address .

So what have I got here ? I understand this to be a CPA campaign becuse all I am asking for is an action (i.e the supplying of an email) In particular this CPA is a Submit model beacuse all I am asking for is the submission of an email address ...

Have I understood this correctly so far??

My next issue to address is 'how will I get my traffic to the people?' I have already decided it will be paid for but what method . So I ask the 'Dog food deluxe traffic company' for some suggestions. The manager says go fo rppv.

So my total understanding here is I will pay 'Dog food deluxe traffic company' an agreed (bidded on ) price for each time my ad is viewed. However whatr I really want is for the web surfer to actually click on my ad and fill out the form so I can get paid.

Have I got the terms and process jumbled is the correct sequence ?

ppv, cpa and cpm etc all have me confused at times (I have read teh guide but will read it agaian)

thanks

you sound like you got it! although it is kind of hard to understand your english, don't forget to track and split test. ;)

Let's get the basics down.

CPC/Cost Per Click. You pay a certain amount (bidding price) for each click that has been made on your ad.

PPV/Pay Per View. You pay for each view/visit on your personal landing page or offer's landing page. Depending which link you've set for an ad. So when a user clicks on your ad and gets to your landing page first where you explain them about Dog Food, then that'll be counted as a View. If you've set the link of the ad, pointing to the offer link directly, than that's where the view will be counted.

CPM/Cost Per Miles or Cost per 1000 impressions. You pay a certain amount for each 1000 impressions you get. So for example: $2 CPM implies: You pay $2 for each 1000 impressions. If you have 8000 impressions, then you will pay: $2 x 8000 = $16.

What does an impression mean in regards to CPM? An impression is when a visitor simply SEES your ad, he doesn't click on it yet. So in other words, an impression is the exposure of your ad to the visitor.

CPA/Cost Per Action. You pay whenever a certain action takes place. For example, if you have a campaign in which you want to start gathering e-mails. You'd set that campaign up as a CPA. The action you expect to get, is that users submit their e-mail and in return, you'll pay the cost for that action. Or if you want to sell a product you can run that under CPA as well.

CPS/Cost Per Sale. You pay whenever someone makes an actual purchase on your site. So you pay the network through which you are running the ad, a certain amount every time when a sale takes place.

CPA and CPS are most of the time a win/win. You only pay for what you get.

So you have an offer you want to promote. Which is by what I understand that you're telling us, a submit offer. So you generate a lead whenever someone submits his e-mail address on the offer's page. Now, if you want to go for promoting that offer through paid advertising and then question becomes: "What do I do, do I go for CPC/CPM or PPV?". CPA/CPS would be a little different to pull off on an existing advertiser's offer. If however, you were the sole advertiser of an offer, meaning that you are the actual source of the offer. Then CPA/CPS would be the way to go for you.

Your decision is to go for PPV. Well, great. If you got the budget, go for it! PPV can be extremely lucrative once you hit the sweet spot but you'll need data first. So there will be a lot of splittesting taking place.

What is splittesting? Splittesting is whenever you're using different approaches to "test" how well a certain change/approach performs. At the process of splittesting you'll be gathering details in which you will be able to see what changes worked best for you in terms of ROI. Some of these changes could be: A different network, different landingpage, different ad. Things of that nature.

I wasn't clearly able to understand in your post what your exact problem was but I figured this information would do you good :). If you have any questions just let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah to clarify Im looking at it as if I am trying to get people to fill in details on an email form and if I can make them do that another company pays me for getting them the info.

Yeah I am unsure of what sequence things go in and how they work.

So for PPV I took there to be 3 stages:
  1. someone is browsing and an ad shows up for dog food.
  2. they click the link for dog food which takes them to my landing page I created (at this point I believe I now pay my fees whether they convert or not)
  3. they fill in the details on my dog food page meaning I have created a conversion (I now get paid due to this action)
Is this CPA or have I misunderstood it ?

thanks

Thanks K, I have read that and feel a bit more confident in my understanding. For some reason CPA really trips me up. I now strat to get the impression how muc I get form the owner of the product for doign the task they requite (eg get an email address ). I had initally thought CPA was an advertising method that I had to pay for like PPV or CPC...but am I righj in thinking it is actually the amount I get paid for the desired action happening.

Thanks K, I have read that and feel a bit more confident in my understanding. For some reason CPA really trips me up. I now strat to get the impression how muc I get form the owner of the product for doign the task they requite (eg get an email address ). I had initally thought CPA was an advertising method that I had to pay for like PPV or CPC...but am I righj in thinking it is actually the amount I get paid for the desired action happening.
Alright, you seem to start to understand it a little better. But hat last sentence you wrote about CPA makes me think you almost got it, but not completely yet so I hope this follow up will give you a clearer image. :)

CPA is an advertising model. Depends through which position you're looking at. If you are an advertiser and you want to start collecting e-mails (list building), then CPA would be a good advertising model for you.

As an advertiser, you would simply go to a CPA Network (Or a lead generation network, but forget about that for now), you get your offer syndicated into the CPA network and then the CPA Network will have their publishers promote your offer.

Publishers of the network would start running your offer and start sending in visitors to your page (offer). The publisher's visitors would then generate the leads. A lead would be in this case, what you -as the advertiser- have specified as the requirement for a lead. Which is, that a user submits his e-mail on the site, this is test action for which you will pay a cost for.

So the publishers send traffic to your offer, the traffic (visitors) generate the leads (e-mail submits). Then you -as the advertiser- would pay the network for the leads that the publishers of that network have generated.

In that example above, I'm describing 2 positions. The position of the advertiser and the publisher:
  1. For the advertiser, CPA is an advertising model.
  2. For the publisher, the CPA offer of the advertiser, is a type of offer that he can promote and generate the leads.

Essentially the advertiser and publisher generate leads. But as an advertiser you're letting publishers generate the traffic and the leads for you instead of you -as the advertiser- going out there and doing all the traffic work yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks Adludum. So if I am the publisher I am trying to get people to fill in the form for the advertiser. The ultimate goal here for me as the publisher is to get people to fill in the form and then the advertiser will slip me a fee for doing this for them (in basic terms)...am I good so far ?

My next question is how do I get the from out there for people to fill in ? I buy traffic ? is this the point where PPC, CPC and CPM come into play ?

Yep! You got it right :).

If you want to use paid traffic, then PPC, CPC, CPM, PPV will indeed come into play.

You can also use free traffic methods. The 3 main free traffic sources are:
  • Social Traffic
  • Blog Traffic
  • SEO Traffic
And then beneath those 3 traffic sources (SEO, Social and Blog traffic) you have an entire tree of different methods on how to approach your promotional efforts in those 3 areas. Do you just stick to social or blog traffic, or just SEO? Maybe combine them all together. Usually when you do SEO you would combine social traffic and blog traffic into your SEO projects.

With blog traffic I mean primarily the blogging sites such as Blogger.com and Wordpress.com. But even when you're setting up a blog there, SEO will come into play. Most people use Blogs to drive more traffic to their main site and give it more boost to the ranking of their site(s) on search engines. But that's something you will understand as you will get more into SEO.

If you'd like to understand the essentials of SEO a little more, you can read up about it right here:
What Is SEO / Search Engine Optimization?

Start there, then an entire world should open up concerning free traffic methods. I always suggest for beginning publishers to focus on free traffic first. When you get in to it you'll learn so much about so many different things at almost no expense in terms of money.

banners
Back