The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Biz License?

azgold

Administrator
Administrator
Dojo Master
K, I hope I'm putting this in the right thread category! If not, please move or delete and accept my apologies.

I know that laws differ between countries and regions but I'm looking to just get the general consensus of the community regarding whether or not to get a business license for cpa/affiliate marketing.

In my part of the world, I don't need to get a license provided I operate only under my own name and make less than $30,000/year. So, just starting out, I don't technically need it, although I'm not sure how that applies to a website name/domain that I might start, if it differs from my name.

Do members here recommend getting a business license for a cpa/affiliate biz? I'm assuming it would be a more professional presentation? However, if dealing with networks only, no one would ever see it - except the networks, of course.

Am I missing something in my perspective?

Opinions?

Thx!
Shirley

Being registered or having a license has a lot of advantages but it depends what you do and how you want to be seen.

If you earn over say 30k a year you will end up saving money and paying less tax in the long run as a business.

Also another big factor is that you will get taken more seriously.

Being registered or having a license has a lot of advantages but it depends what you do and how you want to be seen.

If you earn over say 30k a year you will end up saving money and paying less tax in the long run as a business.

Also another big factor is that you will get taken more seriously.

Thx, K. Here, I can claim as a business for tax deductions without a licence (license?) (up to the $30K) but it's that last line you wrote that has me thinking about this more seriously. I hadn't considered that aspect.

Edit: Just thought of another question pertaining to this....does my website/domain have to be the same as the name on my license? I assume not but truly, I don't know how/if one affects the other.

Last edited:
It does not need to be the same (at least in the US). While I have a domain for my business name it doesn't have to match. I would think of what kind of leverage a name would give you. Use it to add credibility to things your going for. Inc/enterprise/group could be a couple of words to add. I.E. Applying to a network as Ontario Media Group give you more credit then Shirley Gold. Just a thought.

You should get that Ontario Media Group.... OMG!

Last edited by a moderator:
It does not need to be the same (at least in the US). While I have a domain for my business name it doesn't have to match. I would think of what kind of leverage a name would give you. Use it to add credibility to things your going for. Inc/enterprise/group could be a couple of words to add. I.E. Applying to a network as Ontario Media Group give you more credit then Shirley Gold. Just a thought.

You should get that Ontario Media Group.... OMG!

Thanks, I love that name! Can I use it if it's available?

Looks like the domain is taken. I'd bounce back and forth between your local business name checker (usually government) and domain registrar. Looks like the CRA does numbers, I barely get around my state government site. so.... good luck with yours:rolleyes:. It's worth it me as I can write off domains, internet, home office, other costs.

Looks like the domain is taken. I'd bounce back and forth between your local business name checker (usually government) and domain registrar. Looks like the CRA does numbers, I barely get around my state government site. so.... good luck with yours:rolleyes:. It's worth it me as I can write off domains, internet, home office, other costs.

Too bad, I thought that was a really great name. Thank-you for checking.

I could just go with a numbered company but to me, that does not do the trick, it's still very anonymous. I'll have to keep thinking about names. I have been running into name probs with domains, especially.

I will check the government sites, thanks for that tip, too.

Hi azgold,

Something you may consider is while having a license does help with credibility, having yourself incorporated in some fashion will protect you personally and give you a much better and stronger credential. Example: my name is T J Tutor, my company is T J Tutor LLC (Limited Liability Corporation). Corporations lend more credibility than just licensing and protects the owners, partners, and shareholders from liable situations. If you are not incorporated, then you can be held responsible for any lawful actions. If you are incorporated, then you, as a person, are protected from legal action and only the corporation can be held liable for any lawful action. The exception to this is if the corporate owner(s) acts to intentionally have his/her company defraud or bring harm to others, then the liability is shared.

I recommend incorporation, several options for this available. Licensing the company is reliant on regulations in the country of origin (where you are incorporated).

T J

Hi azgold,

Something you may consider is while having a license does help with credibility, having yourself incorporated in some fashion will protect you personally and give you a much better and stronger credential. Example: my name is T J Tutor, my company is T J Tutor LLC (Limited Liability Corporation). Corporations lend more credibility than just licensing and protects the owners, partners, and shareholders from liable situations. If you are not incorporated, then you can be held responsible for any lawful actions. If you are incorporated, then you, as a person, are protected from legal action and only the corporation can be held liable for any lawful action. The exception to this is if the corporate owner(s) acts to intentionally have his/her company defraud or bring harm to others, then the liability is shared.

I recommend incorporation, several options for this available. Licensing the company is reliant on regulations in the country of origin (where you are incorporated).

T J

Thanks, TJ! I will have to look into this more. I've heard it's very expensive but I know it would be good protection for me personally.

MI
Back