The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

bidding on Keywords and trademark issues

Teresa

affiliate
Hi All

I was wondering if this is really true. From what I understand if I don't have permission from a school such as AIU, I am not allowed to Bid on the keyword, AIU, due to trademark issues. Is this correct?

I know I am not suppose to advertise it in my ads, but am I also not allowed to bid on the keyword AIU as well?

Thanks

I just checked with our Marketing Director and our Executive Vice President, and if it is trademarked, it is illegal, and if you use variations thereof, they could have a strong case of trademark infringement.

In our Terms and Conditions, we list what we do not allow bidding on just to make it clear for our affiliate partners.

How can you get Trademark Rights

Do you guys know a simple straight forward way to get the Universities to allow you to bid on their name for the purpose of advertising only.

thanks

Acually some merchants will let you bid on their brand name, typically only if they dont do any PPC themselves. Some companies have wide open TOS re PPC, others say you can only bid beneath them, but most do not allow and trademark bidding. Some even exclude certain keywords. So you just really need to read the TOS carefully.

The best way to get an exception is to ask their marketing manager, but be aware you are going to have to put a very good case to them.

Good Case?

Would my education portal that has some of the top universities on there be good enough case? Or it is going to take more work than that?

It will take a lot more, most probably. A history of successful ppc arbitrage that will help them choke out theor competitors would probably be the best case.

MI
Back