The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Basic PHP/MySQL website

lala56

affiliate
Kind of have the tiniest bit of a clue about PHP now as I read the book "PHP and MySQL for Dummies" to get a basic understanding...

Would like to build up my knowledge and develop a very basic website using PHP and MySQL. The data for the navigation bars, heading and content should take the data from a PHP script accessing the MySQL database.

As far as displaying the content is concerned it seems not too daunting, but to have a code that recognises which navigation element the user clicks and then to display the right heading and content that is going a bit far for me. It would be so cool if someone at least could let me know if that is a lot to ask for (willing to put some hard work in :cool: )...

lala

It depends of how complex you want the site to be.
However, I thinks a starting point will be searching Google for
breadcrumbs php

Cheers.

Will have a browse. But seems I did not clearly state what I am after (happens very often to a German like me;-))...

With navigation I simply meant, that you have a navigation bar with home, about, service, contact for example. And this one should not be hardcoded, but brought in through PHP showing highlighted the item (home for example) that the user clicked, so that he/she knows where he/she is. I thought it might be an idea to do this somehow with PHP (am I silly here:cry: )...

lala

Are you sure what you want is not called "breadcrumbs"? After you'll run a Google search you'll might see that's exactly what you described.

You are right: I will find exactly what you said when I enter the term in Google. But this is like a path to the page you are currently on as such...

I meant: Lets say you have a website with 4 sections only, which has a navigation bar at the top. Instead of hardcoding those links: can't you generate it through PHP, so whenever you add some more sections you do it in the SQL database instead of in the HTML file? Or even better is there a way to have a text file with a caption (which represents the heading) and some text, which can be used to get the mentioned 4 navigation bar items, the headings and the text for all of the four sections accordingly?

That would be marvellous:p

lala

banners
Back