The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Bandwidth needed by a forum?

M

maro25

Hi,
Is there like a general and approximate formula to know how much a given forum (knowing the number of active members) would use as bandwidth?

I presume you mean Datatransfer rather than bandwidth, so here goes.

I have a phpbb forum i have about 400 posts a day, and it uses about 13gig of data transfer a month

yes datatransfer!
Wow only 13gigs, so I am on the same side for a LONG period :) no worries

Yeah I read it correctly 13GB :) I don't think that is much! I have a site that shouldn't have a traffic like a forum (or anything near it) but is sucking 3GB per month

Well. it depends of how many page loads does the forum have? So the more time users spend with you the more bandwidth rate you need.

Regards
D.

it mostly depends on the activity on the forum, which is usually reflected by posts, correlated with number of users, average number of online users and so on. I'd say within 20Gb anyway, but you can have forums that pull in a lot more than that. It all depends on what sort of activity you expect or target.

for 13 gig do you have alot of images on your forum? perhaps excluding all image files would cut that down significantly as that's more than 400 access requests for eahc image a day.

Glad your forum is so popular.

banners
Back