The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Affiliate Network VS In-house Affiliate Software - For Merchants

Linda Buquet

affiliate
One of the most common questions I am asked here, on other forums and on consultation calls is "should I go with a network or get my own affiliate tracking software" So here is a post that lists some pros of network vs. in-house affiliate tracking solutions.

PROS of Affiliate Networks
(I'm talking retail product networks like CJ, not CPA networks or info product network like Clickbank)

1) Trust - Affiliates may not know or trust your company, but they hopefully consider the network they are already used to working with, a trusted 3rd party.

2) Payments - a) The network pays the affiliate, which overcomes a big trust issue. b) The fact they issue payments is a time and headache saver for the merchant. c) Affiliates get consolidated commission checks. So even if they only made $20 from your program and 30 from another they'll still get a check. They like that! :p

3) Time Savings, Convenience (FOR AFFILIATES) - Networks are a HUGE advantage for affiliates. Instead of logging into muliple merchant sites each with different logins, different software, different reports - they can login to one network - pull links, banners, run reports - all from one interface they are already familiar with, for ALL the different merchant they are partnered with.

4) Time Savings, Convenience (FOR MERCHANTS) - Set up is much easier with networks. Commissions are handled for you. Some support issues could possibly be diminished.

5) RECRUITING - the biggie in my mind. I think it was Brian Tracy that said, "find out what your customers want and GIVE it to them". Well I say the same goes for affiliates. "Find out what affiliates want and GIVE it to them!"

Lots of affiliates are on networks because they want to trust they'll get paid and want the convenience of a network. So it's MUCH easier to do recruiting on a network. (I do affiliate recruiting for a living, so I know.) :p

Thousands of affiliates are already there. You don't have to go out and find them all, many will find you. You still need to do proactive recruiting, but affiliates are much more likely to join if you are on a network.

Plus most of the top networks have options for you to do affiliate recruiting and/or promotion within the network for an additional fee.

PROS of Indy's (In-house programs)

1) Transparency and Control - The primary reason some merchants want an in-house program with their own software is to have more transparency and control. So if that's really important to you then in-house may be an option.

2) Cost - Some in-house programs are fairly inexpensive and there are no ongoing fees like networks charge. (But you get what you pay for. Look at all the benefits you'd be missing above.)

So now you see why I lean toward affiliate networks for most programs in general, although when I do consultations I can take individual merchant needs and requirements into account and sometimes may recommend an in-house solution.

To discover what affiliate network and tracking software I typically recommend and why, click here.

Anyone else have anything else to add? I'm sure I forgot something.

I'm inhouse solution positive, so I will give you more reasons why to go with inhouse solution:

- Inhouse affiliate softwares often offer more flexibility in content creation for merchants:
e.g. you can create banner types like Rebrandable PDF files (Rebrand PDF feature or viral pdfs), you can create offline coupons (e.g. together with bar codes), peel banners, Zip banners, etc, etc ....

- you can customize design to fit your corporate design of your website

- I know about standalone affiliate softwares, which have better tracking methods as any affiliate network - your affiliates will trust you more if you will choose the right software

- imagine, that one sale is referred by more affiliates ... does any network support splitting of commissions between more affiliates (Split commissions feature) ?.... in our affiliate program we had many angry affialiates, just because sale was assigned to another affiliate just because of order in referring customer to our site

- connecting your affiliate program to other inhouse application is much easier if you can e.g. read data directly from database or use API of your own affiliate software.

- you can integrate one affiliate program with multiple payment processors in same time, nobody push you to use any specific payment processor as often networks does.

- no monthly fees (if you don't install any hosted affiliate software), total revenue - comissions = your profit .... network often charges from each transaction some money

I have in mind next thousand reasons, but if this post will be too long, nobody will read it :)

DISCLOSURE, provided by Linda: This user works for an in-house software provider so is most likely biased.

Linda, I think you just about covered the pros and cons of each in depth.

I would add these pros of networks as well:

6. Networks usually have a ton more features than in-house programs. Videos, widgets, etc. On ShareASale for example we have a ton of these things on our program.

7. Protection. At least when an affiliate is a member of 2 or more programs, a network can help protect you from a bad affiliate. If they have scammed another merchant, then you might be spared the trouble of dealing with them if they are kicked out. Also, with a network, you have some protection with bad affiliates.

Another advantage...

8. Good networks like ShareASale will hunt and find leaks in your program that are chasing away affiliates, such as adware or other leaks.

Yes, as Linda mentioned, I work for inhouse affiliate software company. ... I don't know if I can tell for which one ....

Mat, I think, that it is not true, that networks have more options of marketing materials ... Do you have e.g. Rebrandable PDFs generated for each affiliate with his own values from one PDF template ? Or do you have split commission feature ? ... this is just simple example of what you can't do in affiliate network. Are you able to customize application if merchant will need urgently customize something ?

On other hand I agree with fact, that network operator cares about leaks. If anybody owns inhouse affiliate software, he will probably not notice such problems alone.

Protection against bad affiliates is solved quite well in nearly all common inhouse affiliate softwares, so I don't think this is the most important reason.

I have one important Pros for affiliate network option:
Performance of merchant's server is limited, but affiliate networks are built on server farms, which can handle also unexpected traffic.

On Friday I was on Google Developers Day and Good Data owner presented interesting thing: They published any article about their product in well known newspapers and traffic on their server rised more than hundred times ... similar traffic in inhouse affiliate software can't handle simple server .... only in case you will have your website and affiliate software installed on grid server or something similar.

just based on two of the functions you mention I'll bet I can guess what in-house aff solution software company you're with ... In fact, you were in the running for selection of our in-house app during the review phase ... but now, as we wrap up review and are moving to purchase and implementation phase, it looks like we're going with a competitor ...

Last edited by a moderator:
We look at the details all major points are covered but still there are lot many things to discuss. I have seen the both sides of being an affiliate manager as well as affiliates and also worked with few networks like CJ, AffiliateBot, DarkBlue etc.

It is true that there are pros and cons of both the types whether it is a network based affiliate program on in-house affiliate program. I will like to add some more.

> Networks' entire business depends on the commission generated by affiliates and therefore chances that networks sometimes do wrong things which affects merchants negatively. I have seen a network doing it.
> Merchants have very less control on affiliates who are promoting it. There are many affiliate networks who even don't disclose affiliate details to merchants.
> Affiliate manager of in house affiliate programs can be more flexible in managing affiliate relationships as compared to network as there are common rules in networks.
> If you can make a good relationship with an affiliate of an in house affiliate program you can keep in business for long time but there are more threat of low loyal affiliates in networks.

9. Good networks have a CEO (Brian Littleton of ShareASale for example) who will email you when one of your affiliates is doing something shady.

I never in a million years would have caught an affiliate hurting our program, but Brian did and let me know.

Thanks Brian!

There are definitely Pros and Cons for each type. It is important to understand what your goals are as a company and what type of resources you can allocate to your program.

This is a great place to start your diligence process and hopefully will lead you to try out a few different solutions for your company!

banners
Back