The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Affiliate Manager Salary

themob92

I'm exploring some job opportunities right now, and I've been having a difficult time finding out salary information for an affiliate manager position (cities are NYC, Boston & DC). The opportunities I'm looking at include affiliate manager positions at CPA networks, direct merchants, and working for agency/opms managing many affiliate program.

I was able to find Shawn Collins' AffStat information from last year at blog.affiliatetip.com/archives/affiliate-manager-salary-data/, but the data isn't broken down by the different type of affiliate manager positions (network, company, working for an opm company), nor is it broken out by years experience or location. I'm also not sure how much to trust the AffStat data, as the lower ends of the survey changed pretty drastically between the 2007 and 2008 reports (~48% were reporting in the under 40k + 40-50k range in 07, only ~35% in 08)

I'm in a unique situation, having recently graduated from college, but I've had a number of years experience as an affiliate analyst (working under an AM) and working as an affiliate myself. My experience is in everything from recruitment, program maintenance, fraud screening, program strategic planning, and technology/cookie/tracking implementation & troubleshooting.

Could anyone shed some light on general salaries (or resources to find accurate, broken-down data) for the entry-level end of the affiliate manager positions across the industry?

Thanks!

I think the reason you are seeing such variance is because there is no standard like there is for nurses, auto mechanics, accountants, etc. Lots of AM's also have this as part of their total responsibility, not their only responsibility, and that may affect the numbers as well.

If the industry ever gets organized, we might be able to get a more detailed list of the ranges and what AM's responsibilities are within those ranges.

Great questions, sorry I don't have the answer you were wanting.

Hi themob,

Welcome to 5 Star. Thanks for joining us.

The main numbers I know are from Affstat and I don't know how much the various types of programs pay.
I would guess in the $40K range plus bonus for an entry level position, as a direct employee, but that's only a guess. Networks, I have no idea how they pay, but have wondered about that.

The OPMs I know would pay a certain amount per client as opposed to a flat base, so it would depend on how many programs you ran and the size of the program to some degree as well.

Sorry I don't have anything more specific for you.

I'm not sure if it will help, but e.g. in Quality Unit we paid our affiliate manager by rule:

(income in last month - (average income of last 12 months)) / 2

Means that we paid him for rising of sales - this is what every merchant needs - rising of sales.

If sales increased faster, he received more and more.

The reason for the large variance is that AM's are sales people. Good sales people make a killing and get what they deserve. Bad AM's deserve to make next to nothing. Also I think you'll find there's a large dispersion between the big corporate networks like CJ or SAS and the smaller CPA networks like Copeac and Ads4Dough.

From my understanding if you work for a big network/corp you're going to get a medium base and a small bonus based on performance. Where a lot of the smaller players are more volatile but have a great opportunity for earning a truckload of cash if you can sell, aggressive, have a willingness to learn 24/7 and people generally like you.

Really just depends on how you feel about the corporate ladder world vs. the hunt and kill world. Everyones personality is different I suppose. It's up to you to see where you fit.

I'm not sure if it will help, but e.g. in Quality Unit we paid our affiliate manager by rule:

(income in last month - (average income of last 12 months)) / 2

Means that we paid him for rising of sales - this is what every merchant needs - rising of sales.

If sales increased faster, he received more and more.

I'm an Affiliate Manager and according to your salary structure, I would have earned over ?20,000 this month!

I've been paid $45 - $60k plus bonus/commission as an AM for a new network and a well known network that has been around for over 5 years.

Salaries also vary by location. If you are in California or NY you'll prob get closer to $80k. I'm basing that on having 5-6 years of experience like I do.

I think the reason you are seeing such variance is because there is no standard like there is for nurses, auto mechanics, accountants, etc. Lots of AM's also have this as part of their total responsibility, not their only responsibility, and that may affect the numbers as well.

If the industry ever gets organized, we might be able to get a more detailed list of the ranges and what AM's responsibilities are within those ranges.

Great questions, sorry I don't have the answer you were wanting.

I agree. There is no set wage for any job involving online business.

I wouldnt necessarily look at the number you get per year...there is always room for comission bonuses, rewarsd for managing top affiliates and other perks and bonuses that come with the job...you're worth as much money as your devotion level...if it's high, theres a good chance that you will see success sooner. and its all about networking!

Affiliate Manager's salary should be paid in following ways:

Fixed monthly compensation + % of sales (That is required for continuous motivation). I am not aware about the US / UK affiliate manager's salary but if we look at India, an experienced affiliate manager with 2+ years of experience earns between US $15000 - $20000 / Year (Including incentives).

That is the reason people love to out source their affiliate management activities to Indian affiliate managers. :)

I think the other thing that will affect this is the type of affiliate industry..

In our industry the salaries can range from 40k - 200k base. It all depends on the company you work for, as well as the location, as well as your experience and your skills.

A lot of affiliate managers are only relationship managers, account managers. I would expect those to be on the lower range. Then there are ones such as myself who have web development and programming skills as well as the social skills, fraud skills, 5+ years experience, know the brands inside out, manage thousands upon thousands of affiliates, take on responsibilities that are not part of their job, work 60+ hours per week etc...

These are all reasons why it would be almost impossible to have an "average" salary for an affiliate manager.

MI
Back