The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Ask Me Anything about landing page design and development.

K

Administrator
Administrator
Internet Marketing Deals
High Converting Landing Pages | ConversionWise
Ask Me Anything about landing page design and development.

LPG(AskiMeImage) (1).jpg

Myself and @Andy Haskins from the Landing Page Guys invite you to ask us anything about landing page design and development.

Useful articles:
Contact Information:
Email:
oliver@landingpageguys.com

Well here's my dilemma. I have no problem creating webpages or implementing the techniques such as social proof, trust, etc. My problem is my overall page design, colors, and the likes are just horrible and looks very amateur. Basically I have the technical side down just not the design part. My question is, how much does this hurt sales/conversions? I know that people say ugly is better but its 2016 I don't really think that applies anymore.

Hi @tom804,

Whilst ugly may not be better, there's certainly a case for simple being better when it comes to your page design. The overall structure and vibe of your page can play a MASSIVE part on your conversions and if colours are clashing, space isn't being utilised correctly or users are getting confused by the flow then you're potentially losing out on valuable conversions.

Of course, there are many different variables that go into a marketing campaign and the vertical/niche and demographic of your audience is one of them, so you've always got to make sure you're catering to them, however, never fear! If you're having problems getting the design locked in how you envisage there are a few small things you can do and consider to make a big difference.

1) Use the AIDA principle (I harp on about this often, as it's simple yet effective) - This will help you to implement the techniques such as social proof, trust etc as you'll have a framework to follow. What do I mean by AIDA? Attention, Interest, Desire, Action.

Attention - Offer a clear, concise value proposition that triggers an emotion with the visitor. A large headline that asks a question, or states a pain point that you can solve along with how you're going to solve it, an example from our current website:

Increase your business sales and conversions
with our fully responsive, affordable landing pages.​

It quite simply explains what you can achieve, and what is used to do it. We've tested many variations of this headline but this one has been performing above and beyond.

Interest - Pique the users interest by offering them the benefits and solutions that your product or service will provide. You can include features should you wish but ensure that there is a direct link to a benefit so that the user can see how you're going to solve their issue.

Desire - Make the visitor want your product by hitting them with elements such as images, videos and walk throughs where they can see it in action. Pair this with your social proof and trust, testimonials, reviews, comments, 'featured in' seals for maximum effect.

Action - Give the visitor the easiest route to take action on your page, hit them with your call to action. Whether it's a form, purchase button, out link, click to call, make it super easy for that visitor to get what they want.

2) Utilise white space and minimise distractions. Whilst it's great to inject colour into your page, just ensure that the elements you want to be seen are the ones that are clearest, whether that be a headline, button, form etc.

Make sure that you're not including elements that really don't need to be there and use lead-ins where ever you can to give the user direction (an arrow pointing to the form, an image of someone pointing or looking in that direction etc)

3) Use colour to spark emotion with the user, I did a post a while ago on this which you can see here.

4) Test! Stick the page in VWO or a similar too and just test different combinations of colour, layout etc to see what works.

Hope this helps, never hesitate to drop your page if you want some actionable points specific to the page.

Hi @tom804,

Whilst ugly may not be better, there's certainly a case for simple being better when it comes to your page design. The overall structure and vibe of your page can play a MASSIVE part on your conversions and if colours are clashing, space isn't being utilised correctly or users are getting confused by the flow then you're potentially losing out on valuable conversions.

Of course, there are many different variables that go into a marketing campaign and the vertical/niche and demographic of your audience is one of them, so you've always got to make sure you're catering to them, however, never fear! If you're having problems getting the design locked in how you envisage there are a few small things you can do and consider to make a big difference.

1) Use the AIDA principle (I harp on about this often, as it's simple yet effective) - This will help you to implement the techniques such as social proof, trust etc as you'll have a framework to follow. What do I mean by AIDA? Attention, Interest, Desire, Action.

Attention - Offer a clear, concise value proposition that triggers an emotion with the visitor. A large headline that asks a question, or states a pain point that you can solve along with how you're going to solve it, an example from our current website:

Increase your business sales and conversions
with our fully responsive, affordable landing pages.​

It quite simply explains what you can achieve, and what is used to do it. We've tested many variations of this headline but this one has been performing above and beyond.

Interest - Pique the users interest by offering them the benefits and solutions that your product or service will provide. You can include features should you wish but ensure that there is a direct link to a benefit so that the user can see how you're going to solve their issue.

Desire - Make the visitor want your product by hitting them with elements such as images, videos and walk throughs where they can see it in action. Pair this with your social proof and trust, testimonials, reviews, comments, 'featured in' seals for maximum effect.

Action - Give the visitor the easiest route to take action on your page, hit them with your call to action. Whether it's a form, purchase button, out link, click to call, make it super easy for that visitor to get what they want.

2) Utilise white space and minimise distractions. Whilst it's great to inject colour into your page, just ensure that the elements you want to be seen are the ones that are clearest, whether that be a headline, button, form etc.

Make sure that you're not including elements that really don't need to be there and use lead-ins where ever you can to give the user direction (an arrow pointing to the form, an image of someone pointing or looking in that direction etc)

3) Use colour to spark emotion with the user, I did a post a while ago on this which you can see here.

4) Test! Stick the page in VWO or a similar too and just test different combinations of colour, layout etc to see what works.

Hope this helps, never hesitate to drop your page if you want some actionable points specific to the page.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question with so much golden knowledge. I going to print this and use it as a guide.

MI
Back