The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

5 Reasons your Landing Page doesn't WORK

S

StaceyRicci

How hard can building a landing page be? There is only a handful of elements practically every landing page consists of and the room for error is minuscule, right? Wrong. Like with every other line of work, the devil is in the detail. Here’s the 5 reasons your landing page is not converting.

Nonsensical headlines
You want your headlines to be as clever as possible, it’s understandable. You might’ve even delved into the pun business expecting people to admire the sharpness of your mind and click that sign up button. Unfortunately, this is not what people want. What they appreciate is an actual information on your product condensed in a short headline. That’s what you should focus on while trying to come up with a content for your landing page.

Lack of optimization
As it is widely known, people are likely to leave the page if it takes more than 3 seconds to load. It doesn’t matter how fancy your graphical design or how high the resolution of the images on your site is, users will be annoyed by the wait. In fact, the right thing to do is to avoid using hi-res images on your landing page. Use a simplified page code and services that optimize images. This will ensure your message reaching the public.

Your page is not mobile-friendly
If it is the case, you’re simply missing out on 50% of the traffic. Mobile is truly a huge segment of the Internet and one should never ignore it. If you think that mobile users are not serious about their online activities, you’re wrong. The studies show that responsive design can multiply the number conversions by several times. Consider that as a solid improvement for your landing page.

Vague info
Guess what happens when people visit your landing page and struggle to find any substantial information on your product. Think they smash the sign up button and become a member? Nope. They leave. And this is why you should pay attention to providing them with relevant data and screenshots of your product while avoiding obscure descriptions and unrelated images.

Cluttered GUI
The sole purpose of a landing page is making a lead to take a particular action. And it is hard to take an action when you’re not sure what’re you supposed to do. The most common mistake is placing a whole bunch of useless stuff (such as contact us, company history, team bios, etc.) on the page. People usually have a hard time remaining interested when there’s a lot to click on. Keep your landing page basic.

Not that all these faults are necessarily present on your landing page. But you might want to take notes if it is not performing so well.

O
How hard can building a landing page be? There is only a handful of elements practically every landing page consists of and the room for error is minuscule, right? Wrong. Like with every other line of work, the devil is in the detail. Here’s the 5 reasons your landing page is not converting.

Nonsensical headlines
You want your headlines to be as clever as possible, it’s understandable. You might’ve even delved into the pun business expecting people to admire the sharpness of your mind and click that sign up button. Unfortunately, this is not what people want. What they appreciate is an actual information on your product condensed in a short headline. That’s what you should focus on while trying to come up with a content for your landing page.

Lack of optimization
As it is widely known, people are likely to leave the page if it takes more than 3 seconds to load. It doesn’t matter how fancy your graphical design or how high the resolution of the images on your site is, users will be annoyed by the wait. In fact, the right thing to do is to avoid using hi-res images on your landing page. Use a simplified page code and services that optimize images. This will ensure your message reaching the public.

If it is the case, you’re simply missing out on 50% of the traffic. Mobile is truly a huge segment of the Internet and one should never ignore it. If you think that mobile users are not serious about their online activities, you’re wrong. The studies show that responsive design can multiply the number conversions by several times. Consider that as a solid improvement for your landing page.

Vague info
Guess what happens when people visit your landing page and struggle to find any substantial information on your product. Think they smash the sign up button and become a member? Nope. They leave. And this is why you should pay attention to providing them with relevant data and screenshots of your product while avoiding obscure descriptions and unrelated images.

Cluttered GUI
The sole purpose of a landing page is making a lead to take a particular action. And it is hard to take an action when you’re not sure what’re you supposed to do. The most common mistake is placing a whole bunch of useless stuff (such as contact us, company history, team bios, etc.) on the page. People usually have a hard time remaining interested when there’s a lot to click on. Keep your landing page basic.

Not that all these faults are necessarily present on your landing page. But you might want to take notes if it is not performing so well.
Great stuff.. One more thing is the page loading time. How frequently your landing page is loading? If it's fast then chances are more clear that you will be getting more visitors to stay on the landing page.

Loading time is part of optimization.
Optimization is now one of the necessary factors in SEO too. There is lot of aspects of optimization.
Below is some check list

1. Optimize your images (Most important factor)
- Use css sprites (if you are using lot of images in your css code)
2. Use reputed web hosting (Using a good host is important, SSD enabled, good cpu,ram and processor)
3. Use fast loading and optimize themes. (If you are using wordpress)
4. Use CDN for faster content delivery (It boost score significantly and help to gain speed )
5. Cache Plugins (If using WP, there is lot of free plugin)
6. Database optimization (In general, but mainly for WP)
- Delete post revision
- remove unwanted comments
- Delete trash posts
7. Enable Gzip Compression (reduce page size)
8. Delete unused plugin and themes (for wp users)
- Used well coded plugins
- Use plugin only if it is necessary
9. Optimize CSS and JS (Very important point, Minify css and JS and reduce the number of files (merging in one))
10. Leverage browser caching (Increase page speed drastically )
11. Use light weight social plugins (If you are using social plugins make sure they are light weight, use simple version)
12. Adopt minimalist approach (This is current trend, use less images, flash, and heavy graphic)

I have tested multiple different landers, and a few things I've noticed.

Have a separate lander for desktop and mobile vs a responsive page. Easy to do (Google it); but speeds up landing page.

Tried video landers vs headline & bullets... Headline & bullets seem to work more effectively for PPC.... Save video for your sales pages...

Simpler is better... On Bing, for example, Headline/bullets/image/CTA above the fold... Then related text below to keep the guys at Bing happy (and to increase your QS). Dynamic keyword insertion ont eh lander below the fold also helps with Quality Score....

For landing page speed test (how long to load and tips for improving) I use a free tool at gtmetrix dot com. They also have a great guide to optimizing WP sites for really fast page loads.

Dear All.
I'm new here and just learning the basics of Internet Marketing .
Can some one explain the purpose of the landing page and/or it's functions ?
Is there a topic with explanation ?
I see it's crucial but still don't get it's job :)

Thank you

Nice advices ,personaly i create a landing page with a video of mine talking .I think this inspire more faith to people that your things are good and not a crap ebook plr

thanks for this great thread, me i focus the optimization of my landing page to a spytool, as i know that normally every good spy tool out there can help me doing this, so i use ADMobiSpy ,to help me optimizing my landing pages and banners, for my mobile campaigns and moreover for the cheapest price that i know on spytools, but the problem with the loading time of the Lp, is something i know is very important for Lp.

Good

Nonsensical headlines

Lack of optimization

Vague info

Cluttered GUI

Good points.. Thanks a lot for posting them here

banners
Back