The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Wordpress arranging posts question

ayushpant

affiliate
Hi,

Does anyone know if we can arrange posts in Wordpress. I'm talking about Wordpress, not Wordpress.com *just for clarification*.

For example, the latest post goes on the top. What if you want the post lets say on position number 5 to be the first one to appear when someone visits your website.

Anyone there????????????:)

Moved this from general affiliate to the RSS forum where
one of our blogging experts can find it.

I'm sure Teli knows. There may be a plug-in.

Yes, it's possible to change the post order in WordPress. A couple different options, actually.

First, you can modify the query for grabbing the posts in the loop. For instance, adding:
Code:
<?php query_posts('order=ASC'); ?>
before the start of your WordPress loop.

The alternate way would be to use the Custom Query plugin (the plugin is no longer maintained by the author, so you'll need to download it from the directory listing). It's a great plugin that's saved me some time on more than a couple occasions. :)

Hope that helps,
~ Teli

Thanks a ton Teli. Would give it a try and see how it goes. I was thinking may be by doing a select query, I can get random posts displayed on the frontpage.

I didn't really know before getting into Wordpress that it doesn't have a way or organizing posts. Therefore, I prefer Joomla as it is 10x more powerful than wordpress.

However, now that I have almost completed a project in Wordpress I will continue with that one. But, in future I will keep in mind the limitations of Wordpress before I start any project.

I didn't really know before getting into Wordpress that it doesn't have a way or organizing posts.

Yes it does and I just gave it away in the post above. :)

With WordPress, you can use the query_posts template tag to organize your posts in a variety of ways. If you want to learn more about it, then head over to the query_tags codex page to read about it.

Comparing Joomla to WordPress is like comparing apples to oranges as they're created for different circumstances. Joomla is more of a Content Management System geared towards building community sites were WordPress is more linear (though it's possible to build WordPress out into a CMS for a community site).

~ Teli

Joomla is more of a Content Management System geared towards building community sites

Teli, with all due respect I will have to disagree with you here. Although, i do agree that Joomla is indeed an advanced Content Management system, but it is definitely not just geared towards building community websites.

There is much more to Joomla than just community websites. For example, there are tons of components and modules available that can help you tweak your Joomla website the way you want.

I would encourage you to take a look at this website that we developed right from scratch using Joomla:

Quackpit

There are several modules and components that we use on this website. Although, I am not the owner but I have programmed significantly for this website.

I own 5-6 websites that I have developed entirely in Joomla and none of them are community websites. Joomla can be used for almost anything, the possibilities are endless.

Although, i do agree that Joomla is indeed an advanced Content Management system, but it is definitely not just geared towards building community websites.
I probably should have been more clear on what I meant by community websites. That's my fault for not communicating what I meant effectively.

I fully understand that you can build just a regular website with Joomla and when I mentioned that it was "geared more towards building community sites", I simply meant that it was more robust for building sites along the lines of portals that have a number of different module sections that don't necessarily need to be combined -- for instance, article/news, stores, and blogs.

Joomla does this with relative ease, however, to turn a WordPress site into a portal site of that nature, you would need to do a lot more too it -- hence, my reference to WP being more linear. Everything is combined -- news/articles/stores/blogs unless you actively separate them and it can become a pain to do.

Using Joomla to build a single page website, IMO only, would be overkill because of how robust it is. In fact, a few of my previous clients had me migrate them off of Joomla because it was too complicated for their particular needs (not necessarily because the software was bad or anything). In the same vein, others had me migrate to Joomla because they needed a more portal-esque website.

To me, comparing WordPress to Joomla is still like comparing apples to oranges. The two softwares are for two different purposes and they both depend on what the end user needs out of his website.

~ Teli

banners
Back