The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

what is the difference between data and lead

If this is not a trick question, then I am assuming that you are new to affiliate marketing. I remember the days when everyone kept talking about "offers" and the word offer didnt make any sense to me.

Data can be anything. Actually, everything is data. The number of impressions, the number of clicks, the number of sales.

On a broader sense, a Lead is a conversion. If you are selling an ebook and when someone buys it, thats a Lead. Leads are those instances where your campaign actually worked.

In the context of Lead generation, a lead is a fully filled up form. This is a lead in the classic sales context. So if you are doing a lead generation campaign and when a visitor who visits your page and fills out the form with his name, email, phone number and other details, a lead is generated.

I hope this makes sense.

Data can be anything. Actually, everything is data. The number of impressions, the number of clicks, the number of sales.

What he said :) Also, Leads are data if you look at them from the context of a sales representative. It's just that the data is filtered through some qualification process like the cap mentioned, a Form someone has to fill out to say that they're interested.

I once had a company that bought leads from different sources online. They came in the form of a big spreadsheet that we then gave to our sales reps to call. They had phone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc. so our sales reps would call them. At one point, new laws were made that required all phone numbers to be "scrubbed" (a fancy word for filtered) through a "no call" database... so then we had to buy leads that were pre-scrubbed, etc.

Either you're on the "lead generation" side of leads or your a "lead buyer". So if you're generating leads, your job is to attract people to sign up for something on a form. If you're buying leads, you're paying people to get you signups or just buying a list directly of people who are interested in a specific topic. Technically all the data a buyer has to have is some way to contact a real person and maybe their name.

Heh, sorry about the "trick question" question, but you had me stumped because leads are data. In fact, all a "lead" actually is lead data ;)

Last edited:
banners
Back