The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

What happened on this day in history?

Wow, wow, wow! This was a super-busy!! day in history around the world!

World History International: On This Day In History

Really long list, so I just added the link instead of filling up the thread.

A few lightlights:
- today would have been Lucy and Desi's 55th wedding anniversary. :)

- 1st meteorite known to strike a woman (Liz Hodges-Sylacauga Ala) (1954) I can't believe they started tracking how many women have been hit by meteorites

- George Harrison releases his triple album set "All Things Must Pass" (1970) Great album, by the way.

- Beatles' 1st album in 25 years, "Live at BBC," is released in Britain (1994) Okay, this might only be important to me. :)

- France performs nuclear test at Fangataufa Island (1978)

- Soviets stop jamming Radio Liberty; 1st time in 38 yrs (1988)

There's TONS more!!

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for starting this, @AF-Roger

Today in history...

Plans for the dictionary began in 1857 when members of London’s Philological Society, who believed there were no up-to-date, error-free English dictionaries available, decided to produce one that would cover all vocabulary from the Anglo-Saxon period (1150 A.D.) to the present. Conceived of as a four-volume, 6,400-page work, it was estimated the project would take 10 years to finish. In fact, it took over 40 years until the 125th and final fascicle was published in April 1928 and the full dictionary was complete–at over 400,000 words and phrases in 10 volumes–and published under the title A New English Dictionary on Historical Principles.

MI
Back