The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

What are the most relevant factor when choosing a network?

clementeappiris

affiliate
As I am an AM, and constantly looking for opportunities to do a better job, I think the best ways is collect insights and information, in order to take the best decisions.
Thus I would like to know what you guys are looking when starting to work with a new network, in particular, how would rank those factors?
- Offers (Quality, variety, quantity..)
- Payment terms
- Knowledgeable AM
- Word of mouth

Obviously, feel free to add more factors! :)

1) Conversions rate and 2) reputation. When your pushing big volume, the network will work with you on payment terms. EG: If im sending 10k traffic a day and i run out of funds, whose going to suffer the most? For my network when u hit 10k day your terms are twice a week at net 4 for wiring. Im sure if you push higher your network will wire you everyday.

Also when your pushing big volume your network will assign you a senior manager or director, Im sure if you been there for years your a dam good manager.

Thanks for that..I still don't understand what affects Conversion Rate from network to network so much. I think most of the time is random. I am 100% sure that we don't skim covnersions to affiliates, as I have access to my backend, but still some times the same offers for the same affiliates are converting better on other networks, and we only work direct with advertisers..any hint on what might cause the lower CR?

Several factors can impact the conversion rate from network to network; tracking platform that is being used, scrub filters that might be in place, pixels not placed correctly, pixels not firing all the time, shaving, etc.

Yep, tracking platforms and server speeds can impact the conversion rate.

A quick redirect through the various links is important.

Some advertisers also like to "scrub" traffic.

Conversion rates are usually tied to epc's by affiliates.

I usually suggest to affiliates to do a 50/50 split with a third party tracking platform the entire time instead of sending all traffic to network A on Monday and all traffic to network B on Tuesday.

This takes the time of day, week, month out of the equation.

While im not going to say the network, we had an affiliate do such a test. He was complaining about having lower epc's with us then the other network. He did a 50/50 split test with a third party tracking platform and was amazed at what he saw. While his epc's were still the same, the bottom dollar amount was that he was making more money with us than the other network. It had appeared the other network was scrubbing clicks! I dont know what their setup is but the affiliate was sending clicks that were not being accounted for. Obviously this falsely drove up epc's making the affiliate think they were converting great. Why diddnt he see this before? Even though there were many days his total revenue was higher with us, he assumed the only reason for that was because he sent more traffic to us but in reality he sent similar volume to each but the traffic (clicks) at the other network was not reported.

If the affiliate never did the 50/50 split test, he would still be running with the other network thinking he is making more money by running with the network with higher epc's but is actually shorting himself.

Yep, tracking platforms and server speeds can impact the conversion rate.

A quick redirect through the various links is important.

Some advertisers also like to "scrub" traffic.

Conversion rates are usually tied to epc's by affiliates.

I usually suggest to affiliates to do a 50/50 split with a third party tracking platform the entire time instead of sending all traffic to network A on Monday and all traffic to network B on Tuesday.

This takes the time of day, week, month out of the equation.

While im not going to say the network, we had an affiliate do such a test. He was complaining about having lower epc's with us then the other network. He did a 50/50 split test with a third party tracking platform and was amazed at what he saw. While his epc's were still the same, the bottom dollar amount was that he was making more money with us than the other network. It had appeared the other network was scrubbing clicks! I dont know what their setup is but the affiliate was sending clicks that were not being accounted for. Obviously this falsely drove up epc's making the affiliate think they were converting great. Why diddnt he see this before? Even though there were many days his total revenue was higher with us, he assumed the only reason for that was because he sent more traffic to us but in reality he sent similar volume to each but the traffic (clicks) at the other network was not reported.

If the affiliate never did the 50/50 split test, he would still be running with the other network thinking he is making more money by running with the network with higher epc's but is actually shorting himself.

Wow, that is something I had never experienced, thought the scrubbing would only take place on the conversions, meaning not firing postbacks, instead than lowering total clicks, interesting insight, thanks!

Several factors can impact the conversion rate from network to network; tracking platform that is being used, scrub filters that might be in place, pixels not placed correctly, pixels not firing all the time, shaving, etc.
Wait, so what if im not even using pixels on my offer, am i potentially losing out on conversions??

You would only potentially be missing out on conversions if the advertiser or network doesn't manually import them. You can usually figure it out by split testing with other networks and knowing your overall conversion ratio. Some offers also may trigger on different goals, so its important to pay attention to that as well.

Long time production tech here. Everything stated here is completely true:

I don't know of any networks that skim leads off of traffic, unless they fail to import them at the end of the month. That being said, conversion pixel setup, redirect speed, and how many redirects occur before the visitor actually reaches the LP are all major factors in conversion rate differences between networks.

From direct merchants, if you're sending poor quality traffic and you are providing them with a lot of subID data, it seems that internal optimization can cause low CR% on sources with small amounts of low converting traffic. I've generally had greater performance by grouping smaller volume subIDs together before sending them to the merchants.

In terms of choosing networks to work with, payment terms, relationships with the merchants and CAP availability are probably my greatest factors in making a decision.

banners
Back