The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Webhosting Question

IWater

affiliate
Hi,

I'm about to start with PPV and have always used a shared webhosting before.
So I have a few questions.

What is the difference between a VPS and CDN and which one should I use?

And what domain register do you suggest for PPV?

Thank you,

Last edited:
The domain registrar is not important. Any registrar will work. If you're using HTML landing pages, a CDN is the better option. I caches your page on multiple edge servers and deliver from the server nearest to the end user. This greatly improves the speed. You can find more about it on my HTML landing pages on CDN post. If you're familier with shared hosting, you'll be fine with CDN

And if you're using WordPress or PHP based landing pages, you should go with a VPS. a VPS is expensive than CDN. It needs configuration and maintenance. CDN doesn't need that and it's faster than VPS.

If you should go with a VPS here's my recommended VPS providers.

The domain registrar is not important. Any registrar will work. If you're using HTML landing pages, a CDN is the better option. I caches your page on multiple edge servers and deliver from the server nearest to the end user. This greatly improves the speed. You can find more about it on my HTML landing pages on CDN post. If you're familier with shared hosting, you'll be fine with CDN

And if you're using WordPress or PHP based landing pages, you should go with a VPS. a VPS is expensive than CDN. It needs configuration and maintenance. CDN doesn't need that and it's faster than VPS.

If you should go with a VPS here's my Recommended VPS providers.

Thank you,

I'm planning to use a HTML landing page.
But why are people using wordpress for landing pages?
Since its only to redirect.

WordPress is easy to use. A person without any coding knowledge can create a landing page with WordPress. And there are so many options and so many features.

HTML pages in other hand, needs some coding knowledge to create. It has limited features and Wordress.

WordPress is easy to use. A person without any coding knowledge can create a landing page with WordPress. And there are so many options and so many features.

HTML pages in other hand, needs some coding knowledge to create. It has limited features and Wordress.
Thank you,

For HTML and CSS and a few images only its the best to use CDN?

Heya @Freddy63, and thanks for this clarification.

Is there also a way that CDN and WP could marry?!? :)

Or is PHP always a hindrance? :(

You could put the static content on a CDN but there's a lot resources WP needs which would be tricky to move to CDN unless you're competent at PHP and theme hacking. I would think wordpress for serving PPV pages is not a good idea. You need fast loading pages and wordpress is a slow clunky old beast. When it's loaded with a lot of concurrent requests it doesn't handle it well at all. Good for building out websites but I'd never use it for a landing page.

You could put the static content on a CDN but there's a lot resources WP needs which would be tricky to move to CDN unless you're competent at PHP and theme hacking. I would think wordpress for serving PPV pages is not a good idea. You need fast loading pages and wordpress is a slow clunky old beast. When it's loaded with a lot of concurrent requests it doesn't handle it well at all. Good for building out websites but I'd never use it for a landing page.

This is true of out of box WordPress. But you can optimize WordPress for performance. And there are even methods to server WordPress pages as HTML pages. So I don't agree, with right optimization WordPress could be as fast as HTML pages. But each method has it's own pros and cons.

So in conclusion, @bweed and @Freddy63:

For WP only VPS, if one like me has only average coding skills in html and php ?

If you're not confident writing html/php from scratch then use WP. Create your LP as wp pages not posts. And install comet cache plugin. If the content is static then you can reduce page load times significantly. . Maybe 80℅. Raw php or html and you can probably halve that again. But I wouldn't be confident saying how much that last half would matter to CR without split testing. Another thing for my to-do list.

Another option in place of or as well as comet cache is CloudFlare. It will cache wp pages as static html and serve it via it's own CDN. And it's free. It can be a pain the butt updating it though as it's easy to forget to tell CF to clear it's cache and you think you've got an updated version online but really your visitors are seeing the old cached version.

The other catch with with wp is irrelevant if you aren't using scripts in the page but without plugins to allow it you can't really add code snippets through the wp page editor. It sanitises everything and strips code out be default.

CDN = host file.
Web Hosting = Host file and run script.

CDN were used in the past to avoid heavy bandwidth which overloads their server.
But CDN can't run script, that's the disadvantage.

CDN = Content Deliver Network.

I simplify it as much as possible. Hope you can get it. :D

There are two types of content on the Internet: Static and Dynamic.

Static content is the kind of content that never changes. It just exists on the server and can be downloaded without the server needing to do any kind of pre-processing before sending it to a visitor. Static content is HTML files, CSS files, images (usually) and Javascript files (javascript is processed by your browser, not the server)

Dynamic content is the kind of content that changes, like, every time you log in to Facebook, you get new content. This kind of content requires the server to process the request before it sends you the result. PHP, and other server-side programming languages all produce dynamic content.

Content Delivery Networks (CDN's) serve static content only. CDN's do not replicate your PHP code and do not process it before sending it to your visitors. Server-side applications like Wordpress require the server to process the PHP code before the page is served up to the visitor. Thus, it requires some interaction with the server and can't be served directly by a CDN. Therefore, if you're using Wordpress, only your static content (your images, CSS files, etc) will be served by the CDN, and you'll lose the speed boost of your CDN for your dynamic content.

Hope this helps!

It may seem a bit irresistible to search and compare different webhosting packages - the hosting market is so competitive.

banners
Back