The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Total newbie hosting clarification

monkeymind

affiliate
Hi there

I'm getting a bit stuck on info overload at the moment that is kind of stopping me in my tracks a bit. I know a lot of the advice suggests VPS but I am not sure I am ready for that yet.

My current situation is I am extremely new to this. The current goal is to create a niche blog with wordpress as a practice project for learning as much as I can.

Obviously I would like to make money at some point but for now the goal is to really practice keyword research and content creation and see if I can get anywhere with it.

My question really is would something like the A2 or inmotion medium wordpress hosting plans be suitable for someone in my situation? (I would like hosting that would allow multiple sites) - both around 5$/6$ a month.

AND

If I ever needed to (fingers crossed) scale up at some point is it easyish to do so or is it a total pain in the doodahs?

ya totally, just go with cheap is fine for now, until you have revenue off that thing no reason to upgrade.

It is super easy to migrate WordPress up to a new plan down the road, usually the host can take care of that if you upgrade too.

Going through the requirement which you have posted, I would like to suggest you WHUK's WordPress hosting package.
Check out the more suitable plans according to your requirement at WHUK's WordPress Hosting official page.

You can use the coupon code "WPSAVE25" to get 25% OFF on any plan of WordPress hosting.

I do understand what you want. The first step that you need to go through is research just to identify several of these service providers. From there, you will be able to weigh and see which one has the best in relation to your needs. However, for a start, do not run for a package that is too big and thus frustrate you when it comes to payments. Just start with basic packages and then scale up as the demand and need rises. That is how you will minimize on the costs and other expenses.

cheers dr forum. A couple of days ago I got a shared package - A2 swift - found a deal somewhere so got the hosting and the domain name for a year for about £11. Bit of a faff because the domain did not actually get registered but all sorted now. The customer service was OK but slow (I think on higher packages you get a better service).

Really for me every step in the whole affiliate thing is new learning and so although I know the shared hosting is not the most desirable option it does let me crack on with trying to learn other bits and keep costs down (some of the more computer technical stuff will likely be stumbling blocks for me whereas hopefully analysis and writing will be easier)

I'm kind of seeing my first niche site as learning project that I hope allows me to make me 1$ online from and then will take things from there. Now debating whether a premium theme (suitable for beginners) might make life easier for me.

I'm getting a bit stuck on info overload at the moment that is kind of stopping me in my tracks a bit. I know a lot of the advice suggests VPS but I am not sure I am ready for that yet.

I would never recommend anyone in marketing use a shared hosting for anything. Here is why:
  1. On shared hosting, you are sharing an IP. These shared hosting IP's are often on spam lists because cheap spammers love to use shared hosts. what they do is over rev the CPU's several times a day sending out spam by email, sending bot traffic to offers, and then eventually get shut down and banned from the host. This leaves an IP that is unusable and while they are running their game on your shared server, your ads will load so slow that your conversions will drop like a stone.
  2. With a VPS, you get CPanel and WHM. Now, while may shared hosts come with CPanel, you get a load more options in your CPanel with a VPS. Your WHM (Web host Manager) is the backside of your CPanel and there are many options in there you should learn. you must start learning from the beginning to manage your hosting environment to optimize it for your marketing efforts. you will never be able to give instructions to anyone to help with server management unless you learn to speak the language and do the work yourself. It is not hard!
  3. If you suddenly have a strong campaign that needs to be scaled up immediately to earn big and you are on shared hosting, you are going to lose the ability to scale because you won't have the CPU Core power, the RAM, or the bandwidth necessary to scale the campaign. By the time they migrate you to a VPS from your shared host, you may have missed the opportunity.
I see it all of the time, I here all the stories, and in the end the shared hosting always causes issues. Ask anyone doing pops and redirects for example.

My current situation is I am extremely new to this. The current goal is to create a niche blog with wordpress as a practice project for learning as much as I can.

How do you plan to monetize a blog?

Why have you chosen to go with a content site platform as a Newbie? Why not get into promoting offers with CPA, CPI, etc. It's easier and faster to monetize and learn over trying to become a content marketer with a blog. Just keep in mind, with a content site, you need to provide content. Are you a writer, and expert in a niche, etc.?

Obviously I would like to make money at some point but for now the goal is to really practice keyword research and content creation and see if I can get anywhere with it.

I would never recommend that plan for a Newbie. Content marketing is the longest and hardest road for a Newbie. Most anyone that is new to this business that tries to start with content marketing gets so very disappointed and quits after a short while.

My question really is would something like the A2 or inmotion medium wordpress hosting plans be suitable for someone in my situation? (I would like hosting that would allow multiple sites) - both around 5$/6$ a month.

In my opinion, you have not developed a reasonable entry point, a reasonable plan, or set reasonable expectations for yourself. You can do so much more and so much quicker by jumping into mobile marketing.

Just my two cents, but I've been watching members for years either make it or break it.

Thanks for the detailed response - I can't really refute your points as you know more!

I think I got niche content into my head as when I began trying to look into affiliate stuff that's just the path I went down, probably from seeing recommendations on forums for the affillo blueprint type model as good for beginners and cheap to do dollars wise though time intensive. Plus I thought I had my head around the niche content with affiliate links concept whereas with CPA and CPI I have not really got a clue where to begin.

It definitely seems like a long hard road now i've dipped my toes in. I think a content site appealed to me as I picked a niche that I have many years of interest in (not an expert) and thought it would be do-able for me to think of new angles for content in that niche. I did not realise that I would spend so long over every little detail.

I would definitely say that with the content site although it is going a lot slower than I envisaged to set up (due to me) it has at least been a good learning project.

I am hoping some of that learning will aid me as I try and get an online presence for my real world business (product) - it should at least help me set up a website and I can use the hosting package for that.

On the CPA and CPI side do you know of any idiot's guide to read or starting points to suggest? so I can wrap my head around it.

I do want to stay the course with learning about affiliate marketing and try and avoid some pitfalls though I get the feeling for me it might not be the easiest journey. I would like to stick with this and I really appreciate the direction.

Cheers again for the informative post.

Thanks for the detailed response - I can't really refute your points as you know more!

We just want to make certain we offer enough information so as to enable you to make decisions that will benefit you and get you earning as soon as possible.

I think I got niche content into my head as when I began trying to look into affiliate stuff that's just the path I went down, probably from seeing recommendations on forums for the affillo blueprint type model as good for beginners and cheap to do dollars wise though time intensive. Plus I thought I had my head around the niche content with affiliate links concept whereas with CPA and CPI I have not really got a clue where to begin.

To be honest, there is nothing "cheap" that is usable in this industry. This is a business and it needs to be treated as such if you want to get to where you want to be. When you go cheap, you get cheap results. When invest proper amounts of time and money, you get solid and immediate results to act on. "Cheap" does not provide solid and immediate results.

When you talk about "programs", remember there is always more to the business than any single program goes into. There are some great training programs out there, but when it comes to training someone completely new to the business, that person needs to be learning many other elements to marketing that are often not covered in those programs. It's necessary to learn more about the business than any single training program will offer. That's where communities like this come in. Here you can get a "set of brains" from marketers that are "in the trenches" and working out details of their businesses. They will do the same for you, help you work out the details of your business. Everything you may need to know as a beginner in this business can be learned right here.

It definitely seems like a long hard road now i've dipped my toes in. I think a content site appealed to me as I picked a niche that I have many years of interest in (not an expert) and thought it would be do-able for me to think of new angles for content in that niche. I did not realise that I would spend so long over every little detail.

There is no such thing as a "hard road" in this business, it does not exist in this business unless you decide as a Newbie to not follow the advice of honest and valuable information. The "hard road" adage is a negative mindset that will not serve you. There is no such thing as "information overload" either. That is a "pattern interrupt" designed and deployed by marketers decades ago (and learned from psychiatrists and psychologists), or longer, that is meant to set you up for the marketers angles and triggers when pitching their product, services, course, coaching, or programs. It DOES NOT EXIST! Here is the proof, if you walk into the Library of Congress, or the Smithsonian Institute, you are not met with "information overload" as your first thought. You are met with starry eyed wonder and gratitude. You feel that all the answers you seek are before you and then you pick a starting point in those institutions to begin learning. You should come to a community like this with that perspective instead of the false mind set of "information overload".

I would definitely say that with the content site although it is going a lot slower than I envisaged to set up (due to me) it has at least been a good learning project.

I am hoping some of that learning will aid me as I try and get an online presence for my real world business (product) - it should at least help me set up a website and I can use the hosting package for that.

On the CPA and CPI side do you know of any idiot's guide to read or starting points to suggest? so I can wrap my head around it.

Don't ever use anything called an "idiots guide". Would you hire a lawyer or doctor that learned from an "idiots guide"? All you need to do is start developing your research skills and research CPA or CPI here in this community. There are loads of members here crushing it in those fields and they are sharing with members and guiding members every day here.

I do want to stay the course with learning about affiliate marketing and try and avoid some pitfalls though I get the feeling for me it might not be the easiest journey. I would like to stick with this and I really appreciate the direction.

Cheers again for the informative post.

I suggest you get busy developing a new mindset, it seems to me your mindset is what is causing your defeatist attitude and expectations. In this post you have used terms like "I've not got a clue", "cheap", "long hard road", "idiots guide", and "it might not be the easiest journey"". This is crap thinking, or as Zig Ziglar always said, "You've got a case of stinkin' thinkin'".

If you do not change the way you think, then your thinking will change you. There is no room in learning, or in business, for negative thinking.

Become an expert researcher in this community and in your business. It is something all of practice everyday, no matter our level of skills or success. It is a part of any business and if you do not develop that skill by engaging it everyday, you will fall behind. This is a fast business, a fast environment, and you must be developing your skills and honing your skills everyday. Part of that comes from being an expert researcher.

Last edited:
MI
Back