The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

The End of Exact Match Domains is Now?

I heard a lot of news lately that sites with exact match domains are disappearing from google search results.
I only knew Bing do this and now google.
Look at this post from Matt in his twitter page : https://twitter.com/mattcutts/status/251784203597910016
I also did browse some major BH forums, my friends fb page and some people who do EMD's.
Their sites are nowhere to be found and some drops ranking very fast from page 1 to page 9.

Is this really the end of EMD's?
What is your opinion about this issue?

I heard a lot of news lately that sites with exact match domains are disappearing from google search results.
I only knew Bing do this and now google.
Look at this post from Matt in his twitter page :
I also did browse some major BH forums, my friends fb page and some people who do EMD's.
Their sites are nowhere to be found and some drops ranking very fast from page 1 to page 9.

Is this really the end of EMD's?
What is your opinion about this issue?

Some of my friends were the same as you. "Oy vey our EMDs" they would say. Ha ha... My opinion on that matter is that EMDs are now being counted towards the general over-optimization rules, and so you must strive to "brand" your EMD. No more schlocky EMD builds!

Branding an EMD can include having an authorized Google Places listing, all of the Social Accounts with the name, Business Directory listings and so on.

It isn't the end of EMDs, but they're not as easily abused as before.

If you have a good site with decent content then I think you would be very unlucky to be hit by a penalty just because you have used an EMD. Will be interesting to see how widespread these penalties are and what type of sites have been hit.

If you have a good site with decent content then I think you would be very unlucky to be hit by a penalty just because you have used an EMD. Will be interesting to see how widespread these penalties are and what type of sites have been hit.

Yeah I agree. If you have a decent site on an EMD I highly doubt you are going to be penalized just because of the EMD. You just wont 'rewarded' for it like you used to.

It's just all of those crappy bare bone spammy sites that are ONLY ranking because of their EMD that have to worry.

Wow. Thanks a lot of input guys. :)
I am starting out with SEO from scratch so i want to learn the ropes from the guys who do this. :)
Serp is unpredictable don't you think right now?even youtube.

SEO is one big game of cat and mouse - rules don't apply, find something that works and stick to it until it doesnt!
EMD's still hold value but you need good quality content to back it up!

Because this discussion blooms again: I agree with the guys above. Good content is the principal criterion for a site, not EMD.
As long as you fulfill this criterion you have nothing to worry about because of an EMD.
But if one relies only on an EMD and apart from that only has BS content, then hasta la vista and good night - logically!!

I don't see Google just ending it. If you have great content then you can definitely rank well. I think google's beef is with the sites (like one or two of mines) which are one page with a banner, some links and a few sites pointing to it. It's obvious to them what I'm up to.

I agree that Google wont just end it...if you have a EMD with decent content its gonna stick!

I have just one adsense site with EMD and still ranking in first page. No problem at all. I saw even improvement last days, but this is about SEO.
My site is not one or two article site but i ranking high with 5 articles.

I have just one adsense site with EMD and still ranking in first page. No problem at all. I saw even improvement last days, but this is about SEO.
My site is not one or two article site but i ranking high with 5 articles.
Hmm.. maybe its all about the niche right?

While on the subject of domain names. I read different things all the time like you should go for long tail domain like bestblendersaround.com beside of short domain blenders.com because long tail ranks better any truth behind that

While on the subject of domain names. I read different things all the time like you should go for long tail domain like bestblendersaround.com beside of short domain blenders.com because long tail ranks better any truth behind that

The truth is: With a short keyword-domain like blenders.com you probably never will rank, because this domain is probably simply no longer available. ;)

If you want to include blenders somehow in your domain, then you will probably have no other choice than to take a long tailed keyword as the domain.
Or you can try it with blenders24.com, or something like that ...

Longtail ranks better for the specific search term. In the example you have given it would have an advantage in ranking for the phrase "best blenders around".

On the other hand, since you wish to build an authority site with lots of reviews, I would suggest you go more towards a shorter, brandable domain name. Something people will be able to remember.

Long tail domains are widely used for mini niche sites of 5 -10 -20 pages. Google is giving more and more effort into making it harder to rank sites like that, plus Google also devalued the exact match domain value a few months back.

So, long term - brandable domain. Something catchy that has the word blender in it, but I wouldn't recommend over two words.

banners
Back