The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Stealing a domain name

gkd_uk

Hi

I came across a post where a user had a owned a domain name for several years.

Someone transferred his domain to joker.com and when he tried renewing the domain at his original host, he was not allowed. But when he renewed at joker.com the registered owner is now showing as joker.com.

How is this possible?
And how was someone able to transfer a domain name which did not belong to them?

sound too complicated to guess what happened. You really cannot tranfer a domain that does not belong to you as a tranfer request will be sent to the registered owner's email address, unless someone else has access to you email address.

You can also lock your domain to prevent tranfer.

Found this interesting article:

We've all seen this famous quote: "It's better to give than to receive." But how many webmasters are willing to give their domain names to anyone who asks? More than you think, unfortunately. Recent changes to domain name transfer policy means you could lose control of your domain name just by neglecting to read your email for a few days.

Read more

Nominet domains are virtually impossible to hijack, if you want to transfer a domain, you need to send identification and payment to Nominet first

For top level domains, it depends but at most registrars you need to lock you domain yourself while some seem to lock it for you by default.

Not sure I subscribe to that philosophy

Found this interesting article:

We've all seen this famous quote: "It's better to give than to receive." But how many webmasters are willing to give their domain names to anyone who asks? More than you think, unfortunately. Recent changes to domain name transfer policy means you could lose control of your domain name just by neglecting to read your email for a few days.

Read more

I have checked my .info domain which is locked.

I'm sure my .co.uk are locked. I have just sent a request to my hosting company to find out where I can check this.

banners
Back