The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Relative newbie to AM, the road to profit

Tim King

affiliate
Hey all :)

I won't post much waffle about me here, just done that in the Introduction forum! I'm new to AM as of a couple of months ago. Started off on mobile, 2 campaigns so far, few conversions but nothing to write home about. Day job pressures have meant the time I can allocate to AM has been very low. I'm part way into two weeks off to focus purely on AM now though so full steam ahead. My aims are:

- Profitable campaign by end of August
- First $10 day by end of September
- First $100 day by end of the year

Ideally I'd love to hit those sooner, but my day job can sometimes hit 80 hours a week which wipes out much chance of anything else.

I've now decided to do sweeps/coupons and start to learn the landing page skills required, no design/web/banner skills so picking it up as I go as quick as possible. From what I've read it will be a better option than app installs like I was doing.

Ended up here after watching the How to make $100 a day from sweeps video, watched K's intro to the Dojo and was sold. Marketing works :D Liked the sound of this place so here I am!

Done so far:

- Signed up with F5 media and Tapgerine
- Signed up with Decisive
- Signed up with voluum
- Domain(s) setup ready to use for LP's when required (using Rackspace CDN)
- Uploaded a few LP's
- Registered my company
- Learnt the basics of Photoshop

To Do:

- Understand how to change LP's for my needs
- Design my own LP's (or find a cost effective way to outsource, more ideal in the long run)
- Pick an offer, coupons or iPhone sweeps I think, can't decide
- Run through what angles I want to try and design a campaign

I'll try to keep this as updated as I can, ideally every day or so.

Tim

Last edited:
On the LP side of things, I'm happy to pick up as much as needed from tutorials etc as I've had to do with Photoshop for banners, but don't want to waste time on something if not needed. What did others do when starting out, invest the time to create/edit LP's or get someone else to do this bit?

From when I wanted to get someone to create banners for me it looked like a costly way to start with due to the volume needed for split testing and the constant tweaks/changes so haven't looked into it for LP's yet.

After a few discussions with people and some searching I'm now running TopStyle as my HTML editor. Nice and simple yet looks like it can get more complicated when needed, code up top, preview down the bottom. Just what I was after. Now time to start tinkering with LP's and thinking about what offer to run, which I think I've narrowed down to either a voucher/coupon supermarket offer or win an iPhone.

My reasoning is:

- I can test over multiple geo's
- Easy to convert to other languages
- Plenty of banner options I can edit
- Variety of angles

Going to sign up for some more networks and traffic sources tonight so I've got them ready for when needed.

Looks like you are on your way friend... just stay at it and it will happen!!!!! The only way it will not happen is if you give up which a lot of marketers do... The key here is (which you already done) set goals you can reach and adjust accordingly. By doing this you will find that whatever you do is going make you profitable....

Offer selected, going to be going for:

Offer: [WAP] Responsive - iPhone6 - SOI - AU
Payout: $2.40
Category: Mobile sweeps
Network: F5 (will add another early next week for split testing)
Traffic source: Decisive (will add another early next week for split testing)
Tracking: voluum

Ranked high for volume and revenue and once I've got the pages done for this I can mirror to other GEO's easily as it's a very prevalent offer it seems.

To do

- Brainstorm the campaign/angles
- Rip some pops and learn to tweak them to what is needed

OK, so my logic was a bit screwed last week, confusing pop and LP terminology.

In my head going down the pop route would be quicker/simpler at this time for me as I wouldn't have to spend time creating/editing banners and could focus purely on the pop page. Would this be wise, or should I force myself down the banner/LP route?

Done

- Got a few angles that I really like that I don't think are being done elsewhere from what I can tell
- One landing page almost complete, another style still to do
- Now all setup with 4 affiliate networks and 4 ad networks

To Do

- Decided to get someone proper (well, a designer from fiverr.com) on the case to assist with LP's, even if just the first few to get me a few styles I can tweak
- Finalise the first lot of pages and send for approval

Done

- Ordered first of at least two styles of LP i'm after, if the first is what I want then will place the next order with the same designer
- Got more detailed on the specs for outsourcing work, will template this for future use

To Do

- Get some more wording done for the LP's to split test some ideas
- Possibly look into the teespring idea, see if some niches can be found. Won't dedicate much time to this, just seems interesting

Just eagerly awaiting the web guy to get things done over the next few days so I can get it approved and start the campaign off!

Why are you jumping from sweep to TeeSpring.
Stick with just 1 idea my friend, it's not a game to play and control it with GUI, but you to code the whole game.

MI
Back