The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

Question about advertising in my own forum threads

frankfortpost

I have a community forum on my website, and I'm still not at the point where I am getting a lot of clickthroughs, and or sales, through my affiliate links on my site.

Since my forum is growing decently, what I thought about doing was every once in a while, or in the middle of a big thread, maybe put in 1 post, with an html affiliate advertisement.

Would you find this offensive if you visited my forum?

I realize that if I did it on every thread, that might be a little bit overboard, but I really don't know.

Any thoughts?

I don't think those are to successful. I seen those ads on other forums and pretty just ignore them much just scroll right past them. I think it is better to put ads on the sides, top, or bottom of the pages rather than in actual forum posts. That way they are there for people to see without it being in thier face.

I agree with Chet. Also FYI forums in general are especially hard to monetize.
I don't think I've ever clicked an ad in a forum and I visit tons of forums.

In addition to the sidebar if you want to do something automatic is...
Well not sure how to do it technically but I've seen lots of forums where after the 2nd post in a thread, a small text ad or Adsense shows. It's inserted automatically, maybe some plugin?

But ya it will turn some visitors off.

A useful tip

I agree both chet and linda. Those forums are ok to advertise within the header or side navigation but not in the actual post/forum section.

A possible idea to increase your clicks and traffic though is to add, if you havn't already, a 'sign up for latest offers/promotions' campaign. This is a great way to keep your visitors informed of any promotions, offers etc as they are choosing to give you their email. When your affiliate program then offers a new promotion/event etc you can then send this on multiple emails (with your link i.d) to all the emails that have signed up.

This email campaign is a good way of increasing your clicks through to the destination affiliate site.

Sign-ups should be allowed in forums

Healthy discussion and analysis of burning topics among the participants are crucial in growth of a forum. I will like to participate in an affiliate forum only to share my views and to get accustomed with affiliate marketing. I usually ignore ads either at side, top or bottom. But I will certainly like to sign up for affiliate marketing campaigns, latest offers etc.

Hey Frank,

I'm gonna agree with Chet and Linda on this for the most part.

But you know what they say, It never hurts to test it right?

Why not throw up a few ads here and there and see how they do. If you get complaints or they just don't perform take them down... On the other hand it may turn over some nice little
profits for you.

I'd take the small risk, see what happens, and give it a try.

I agree...

I certainly agree with you ryan.
It would really depend on the dedication and the strategies involved in every advertiser.

Definitely,

I think the success or failure of these ads could also great depend on what niche market the forum is about.

If you're running a SEO/PPC forum I would think it would be pretty hard to get someone to click on ads.

But maybe a forum about camera repair/photography with a few good ads showing off great deals on new cameras... might.... JUST MAYBE. Have some success

I belong to several forums and I am more likely to click on something on the top, bottom, or sides. I get annoyed with clutter on sites and basically ignore it. I think your best bet is to continue to build the traffic which will get you more click thoughs.

True

Good point Jean...

If you are going to try ads in between forum posts I would keep them pretty mellow and informative.

I was just at this forum with this seizure causing yellow, flashing mayhem banner that said "Jon Sucks Bandwidth" over and over and over and over again.

Here is my impression: :mad:

Stupid seizure banners.

MI
Back