The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Optimisation philosophy discussion

krass

Hi, just wanted to throw this out there. Anyone here cut os, browser versions early on in their campaign? Or do you only optimise offer, lander, carrier, placements, and don't go into the os and browser environments.

What are the arguments for or against this?

Some offers obviously relate to very specific carriers, browsers, and devices. So, it only makes sense to do granular targeting that way.

In any case, it always makes sense to optimize across parameters like that. Right off the first campaign.

Not all traffic sources allow that kind of granular targeting though. So if a camp is green on popads on certain android versions it'll never work on sources that don't allow that kind of targeting

That's right, @krass -- Optimisation, I believe, must be fired off on various levels. If traffic sources allow for such targeting, it's awesome. Despite that, there's still the landers, angles, banners, and many others that we'd need to focus on.

I always start with lander and offer optimisation, then i go for OS, Browser etc. For OS, Browsers, placement and others, you need more data as each element is having considerably more variables, so you need more data to optimise them and cut off the poor performing ones.

Thanks for the input. What about carriers? If a carrier is not performing do you cut it early on or do you optimize other stuff first.

Interesting perspective on the OS and browsers. I almost never go into those. Would like to learn your thought process when it comes to those

From my experience, cutting the carriers drops the traffic to a huge extent, specially on pops. So after lander and offer optimisation, I go for OS, browser & Placement. I always do that in combination on voluum report to cross check the data for each, analyze it and then cut out the poor performing ones. Cutting one OS or browser may effect the whole campaign as it might work well on other placements. I often set out rules based on my data analysis. So analysing data by cross reference has always helped me a lot. Carrier is something I do at last.

From my experience, cutting the carriers drops the traffic to a huge extent, specially on pops. So after lander and offer optimisation, I go for OS, browser & Placement. I always do that in combination on voluum report to cross check the data for each, analyze it and then cut out the poor performing ones. Cutting one OS or browser may effect the whole campaign as it might work well on other placements. I often set out rules based on my data analysis. So analysing data by cross reference has always helped me a lot. Carrier is something I do at last.

Interesting. What about offers that only accept android or ios. That leaves you with just the browser to optimise.

I tried cutting os versions but as you said it ruined the whole campaign. Browser versions too.

Interesting. What about offers that only accept android or ios. That leaves you with just the browser to optimise.
Well, I meant OS versions and browser versions. Cutting the whole OS will definitely impact the campaign. If the offer accepts just IOS or Android, then just cut out bad performing OS version based on the data you have(after comparing). If you can set out rules for your campaign based on data comparison then you can see increase in conversion ratio too. You just have to play along with your data to optimise your campaign to the max. Finally, everybody has their own way of optimising a campaign. I am just sharing the way I do.

Web page content has its place and is very important not only the search engines eyes but also in the perception and eyes of your viewer. The more well written, relevant, unique web page content you have, the more the visitors to your site will think of you as an expert in your field.

It isn't optimization if you're just cutting, that's just targeting more narrow and receiving less traffic.

Optimization has to do primarily with landers, ads, offers, server speed, etc.

From a philosophical perspective, I think of optimization as making any change (to any campaign related variable) that 1. lowers avg. cost per click or 2. increases earnings per click, without decreasing profits.

MI
Back