The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Not so new newbie wading through all the BS

zaskar70

affiliate
Hi everyone,
boy have things changed, a long time ago on an internet far far away I once played around with making money online, big emphasis on the played around part.

Way back in 97 two good friends and I decided to throw up an adult site. This was LONG before any tube sites were even being dreamed of, in fact video's were kind of new and hard to implement on sites, there was no such thing as youtube.

We had a couple female friends who were strippers so we decided to call it stripperfetish.com, long story short I think we worked on it and several cases of beer for about a weekend, found a cheap host, tossed a bunch of photo's we took of our friends and their friends who were strippers onto it and that was that.

To drive traffic back then the thing to do was spam user groups with your link, we would spam, get banned, get a new isp, spam, get banned get a new isp etc etc. Now back then dial up was the way 90% of people got on the internet, cable was not commonplace and there were a ton of different dial up ISP's to choose from.

We did this off and on for a few weeks before being young and dumb we got bored with it and went on just partying and chasing the ladies, every 2 weeks we would get a check for between $400 and $750 bucks from CCBILL for stripperfetish but we never ever went back to it to update it after throwing it up that one weekend.
Our thought process at the time was, man this is boring and its just not worth the time, partying and getting wasted was so much more fun and so good old stripperfetish eventualy died an uneventful death a year later when we failed to renew it for whatever stupid reason.

The crazy thing is it earned cash almost immediately and with almost zero effort by todays standards, if I only knew then what I know now.... but I guess thats why they say hindsight is always 20/20 ;)

Anyways thats my ridiculously big mistake / missed opportunity.

This time around im going to try doing the whole niche site thing with amazon affiliate and clickbank with some adsense.

So here i am back again after all these years wading through all the BS, scammers, snake oil salesman and whatever other predatory a$$holes there are lurking in the world of internet marketing in 2015, so very different from the late 90's.

Hi everyone

WOW, what a story!

Welcome to the AffiliateFix @zaskar70 ! It's great to have you join our community.

boy have things changed

Sounds as though you have some catching up to do.

im going to try doing the whole niche site thing with amazon affiliate and clickbank with some adsense.

Okay, get rid of the word "try", we are a community of "doer's", as you will see for yourself. If you are truly someone that has been out of the loop that long, let me help you out by saying it will be a struggle for you as a Newbie in today's industry to tackle all of that at once. A more seasoned marketer with proven skill sets can do it, you can get there, but as a Newbie doing niche sites, Amazon, and AdSense may be a lot to bite off all at once. Keep in mind that Google and AdSense don't always play nice together as they have different terms of use and some of them are in conflict with one another. If you can make it work right out of the gate, then Kudos to you.

So here i am back again after all these years wading through all the BS, scammers, snake oil salesman and whatever other predatory a$$holes there are lurking in the world of internet marketing in 2015

"Alrighty then", as the church lady says, I can tell you that we weed out all of those from this forum every time we encounter one lurking around. We are a fantastic group of marketers at every level and have an abundance of reps from the networks, traffic companies, as well as tool developers. So, I guess my message is, before you have had a chance to meet and interact with our members, we would appreciate your not suggesting that you may find those types of individuals here.

Here are a few suggestions for you to help getting things started. I'm sure you may already have planned much of this, just covering all the bases.

For every Newbie, we recommend the following to get you up and running:

Every business needs:

1. a plan
2. a schedule for research, learning, and execution
3. a budget.

Remember to read through our WIKI and get to know the basics as well as some of the buzz words in the industry.

I also recommend reading the following thread:

As a Newbie, What Stops You From Getting Started

Here is a set of immediate goals:

1. Get a VPS
2. Select a vertical
3. Select a tracker
4. Select a couple of networks and get your approval
5. Select a traffic source
6. Create a schedule for researching, learning (training), and working. This is a business, treat it as such!
7. Create a budget for every expense (daily, weekly, monthly)
8. Be very active in this forum by researching, asking questions, helping others when you are able.

As well, I highly recommend you join the DOJO as it is full of great tools and contributions for successful marketers.

We look forward to seeing you around the forum!

T J

P.S: hit the "Introductions Thread" (this thread) everyday to welcome other new members to our cozy community, it means a lot to folks to know they are recognized, known, and welcome!

Thx for the welcome T J,
I didn't mean to infer that this forum in particular had any more scammers / snakeoil salesman than anyplace else on the internet, just making a general observation on the state of internet marketing/online business from the viewpoint of a relative newcomer.

I've "been around" before so it's easier for me to see when someone is trying to take me for a ride so to speak. After lurking around many internet marketing forums / blogs / websites for the last month or two I can see how a complete non internet savvy newbie might get taken for quite a bit of money before ever learning a thing.

I'm looking forward to learning all I can before jumping into the ring, sadly i'm one of those guys who learns best by doing. i wish I was the type you could explain a right hook to before ringtime but i usualy need to get hit by it myself before it takes hold ;)

MI
Back