The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Newbie question about 'HubPages' website?

katie1988

affiliate
Hello everyone :)

I wonder if any of the more experienced affiliates can help me....?

I'm new to affiiate marketing & so wrote an article a few months back & just put it up on Hubpages with a few relating Amazon links at the bottom of the article. I forgot about it for a while & when i went back to it i realised that my article had recieved just over 17,000 views & was on pg1 of google (when the appropriate subject was typed in google toolbar)
According to amazon i haven't made a penny, so i was wondering how much traffic on average do you need to start making money from an article?

Also, when i looked at my own article on HubPages from google, i noticed a big advert in my article which i didn't put there, trying to sell stuff relating to my article. Is this the norm on HubPages?

Apologies if i'm sounding thick but i am a complete newbie to all of this! Any advice generally on the above would be great. Thank you :)

Hi and welcome!

I've been a hubber since 2008, I think, and was also a volunteer in two of their weekly programs, so I can help you with that.

"my article had received just over 17,000 views & was on pg1 of google"

Yup, HP articles get indexed almost immediately. It's great for that. Up until all the shake up with the Google algo changes, hubs went online instantly when you hit the publish button. Ahh, the good old days. Now, they have to go through an approval process. :(

"According to amazon i haven't made a penny, so i was wondering how much traffic on average do you need to start making money from an article?"

Just to be sure....you did sign up and receive approval from Amazon, right? Did you also sign up for your Adsense and HubPages earnings? Those are things you have to do to make any money on HP. Add eBay to that list if you want to. Not sure if they're still offering Kontera or not but I think so. I only used it a few times then turned it off, didn't like it.

Re Amazon, I make diddly-squat, really. Think I've been paid $243 since I started all those years ago. I have sales sitting there for another payout but they aren't at minimum payout level yet. Most of my hubs were written for HP and writers, they aren't money makers. However, I know some hubbers who make a great deal more than I do.

Making those sales depends on what you're writing about. For example, I know one writer who did extremely well writing about musical instruments. He sold a bunch of Amazon instruments after he published that hub. Another writer profited well from hubs about gardening tools.

I have sold a variety of items, my most popular being a book about sugar addiction. Sadly, the Amazon percentage being what it is, I don't make that much on it. Christmas is my best time for Amazon as I have a number of gift idea hubs.

Some of my hubs, I don't insert keywords into the Amazon capsules, I go to Amazon and hand pick the products I want to display. Sometimes, you can find a product that is more highly relevant to your hub. I don't know what you wrote about but that could be helpful, as the auto display sometimes shows items that really don't fit.

"Also, when i looked at my own article on HubPages from google, i noticed a big advert in my article which i didn't put there, trying to sell stuff relating to my article. Is this the norm on HubPages?"

Yes, it is. HP is a revenue sharing site with a 60/40 split. You can turn ads off but then it is considered to be a non-commercial hub. And your ads wouldn't be shown, either.

I practically lived on HP for three or four years. We had so much fun and wrote so many hubs, it was crazy! Now, many of the original hubbers have left in protest and many things have changed. I haven't published a hub since I got sick in 2012 but I do want to get back to it someday. I absolutely love their platform. Sure do miss it the way it was, though.

If you need any help or have any more questions, feel free to ask. Hubbers help hubbers. :) By the way, what is your HP name? If you don't mind saying.

dont think i can add anything to this one. it was a great response. yea you need to go through an approval process to earn through your hub pages.

MI
Back