The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Is boosting a post in facebook a scam?

rob2371

affiliate
I have boosted a few posts in facebook and the results "seemed" good until I started looking into the people who supposedly liked my post. Most of the profiles showed that they hadn't posted anything on they're own timeline in months, sometimes over a year! It kind of of looked like the polls are rigged! Ill admit I'm not real verse at facebook so maybe I was looking at it wrong but it sure looked like a bunch of random profiles that are inactive being used to boost my numbers and look like I'm getting something for my money? Anybody else found this or have any info on it? thanks

I saw some listings in the SERPS saying it was a scam; some that didn't.

Just spoke with my son-in-law who has boosted posts for his biz (not IM) and he gets a great response. He said that it depends on the demographics and advanced settings.

How much ad spend are in for so far?

What do you mean? Are you saying that FB would take his money but not give him what he was paying for? Do they do that?
No, I just said that FB has their own rules in what type of ads they can promote. There's no way they take money for an ad they cannot promote if it's against their rule, right
I'm not exactly sure what's going on with his post but maybe like you said, the demographic isn't detailed enough

If FB doesn't approve of your ad, then it's a scam/ Otherwise it's not
they said it was approved and I followed they're rules as best I could understand. it just seemed odd that the likes were all from profiles with very few posts and none very recent.

I saw some listings in the SERPS saying it was a scam; some that didn't.

Just spoke with my son-in-law who has boosted posts for his biz (not IM) and he gets a great response. He said that it depends on the demographics and advanced settings.

How much ad spend are in for so far?
I only spent $10 and it isn't at all the amount of response but the type. for $10 I had almost 2000 views and about 20 likes , it just seemed like the likes were from unused accounts with no recent activity. I wouldn't expect a lot for $10 but I would expect honesty, and it may very well be legit, just seemed sketchy.

I wouldn't expect a lot for $10 but I would expect honesty

Certainly! And you have a right to! I'm glad you aren't out a lot of money, if you're getting useless data and likes.

I have never run FB ads. Are they similar to other PPC sites, where the lower your bid, the lower your impressions and quality of targets?

When you pay for the boost of the posts and even the page, there are very many factors that ar always considered and hence not just a random generate bot based likes. Facebook has several algorithms that are intelligent enough to work within you niche, They will be able to suggest the posts to the relevant persons based on what they like and do hence less ability that you are given like that are not real. I have used it before and I will say it has good results that are very real.

I think FB (or social media in general) ads are something like pay per day rather than per click.

So just to be clear here, you paid for a FB ad, and it got likes that you aren't sure are legitimate? I could see the concern there, but as long as it boosts the profile / effectiveness of your ad, I wouldn't worry TOO much. Like Dr Forum said, they have lots of targeting algorithms and they may show it to tons of people targeting specific people with specific interests until it gets a certain # of likes, and may display it in a way to encourage likes somehow. I haven't posted on my facebook wall for 2+ yrs and I still browse from time to time haha. I'm no expert, but if you can, try and check their recent likes / comments rather than wall posts. Additionally, a lot of stuff can be hidden for privacy reasons.

that's a good Idea, a friend mentioned the same thing..to look at likes instead of posts because a lot of people don't post much but still frequent they're page. as far as the structure it isn't a bid like pay per click more of a flat rate and they give you an estimate as to your number of likes and people reached, all based on the filter settings you select. I have noticed even after the "boost" was over I am getting some results and at this point anything for $10 is fairly promising. i'm just skeptical in nature, lol.

MI
Back