The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

I am Starting a Newsletter. What do you want in it?

OldWelshGuy

affiliate
Ok I intend starting a newsletter that will initially be going out either fortnightly or monthly. I am going to have a couple of sections in there, like forums (where I will list my favourite forums), a top 10 list of forum posts across those forums I visit, and a focus on a particular forum Where I will give a run down of what that forum is or does, what I like and don't like about it. A directories list new and old (top ten newsletters etc. ) and the main section which is a Question and answer section. Where I will be answering peoples questions I might already have done it on a forum for example, but will add it to my newsletter together with a link

I am also thinking that I could invite people to guest write on it in areas where they are stronger than myself. Coding, databasing, scripting design etc.

So there are a couple of reasons for me posting this I guess.

1. what would you like to see in there?

2. Is there anyone who feels they might be able to contribute to the newsletter as a guest?

3. Would you subscribe to it?

4. any other thoughts.

"Where I will give a run down of what that forum is or does, what I like and don't like about it."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some members that subscribe to your newsletter may own one of the forums that you may dislike, so this might not be a good idea.

1) I think adding a list of free directories will be a good idea.
2) At one time I did not have a clue what Page Rank or Backlinks were, so you could include some info about pr, backlinks on your first news letter

James,
1. First thing I would like to see is a link to this forum :)
2. No banner advert on the newsletter, some subtle form of advertising if it carries any adverts at all.
3. Emerging threads in our industry
4. Some hot tips or resources you cannot find in any of the other newsletters targeted at this industry

Yes, I will certainly subscribe to it and I will also contribute :)

To answer the forum thing I think like this. If someone owns a forum I dis, then that is perfect, as the only reason I would dis it would be to help improve it. I certainly would not pull a forum apart for the sake of it. The one thing I have always been is objective in my posts online, so honesty is how it is. If a forum is poor, then doubtfull I would include it anyhow ;)

TEMI: a link to here and a couple of related others is secured ;)

There will be no banner advert and any adverts will be CLEARLY MARKED as OWG BLATANT AFFILIATE LINK :D None of this namby pamby lure them in stuff.

Emerging threads is what I am looking at as well. For example has anyone heard about the new semantic search engine that is in association with ASK? Nope? thought not. here it is then go take a look :) hakia Search Engine Beta

Hot tips is another. what I will also do is carry out quick site reviews for sites I like, or are of people I know (Providing they ask). Another bonus is that the newsletter will be archived to my Umbrella consultancy site, so the backlinks from it will be fairly worthwhile if you are themed to internet marketing. For this reason I will be fussy who I link to as in effect I am promoting that cite as a good resource.

Thats about it really. Thanks for the help so far, any more let me know.

It is in beta. did you scroll down and look at the additional stuff that is there. the way it pulls together semantic information? Keep in mind that it would be like looking at the early days of google. It is not yet anywhere near the finished article. As a research tool it might well end up as the choice of academics.

Okay,
I will go and play with it a bit more.... semantic information, is that supposed to make the search result more relevant to what the user wants or what exactly is the driving alog or reason behind it?

Semantic relevance is themes at its best. Googles algorithm works out relevance by a complicated algo which has at its core, backlinks. Semantic search does not.

OWG, I would certainly sign up to your newsletter, and maybe I will have some question to you though I think that would touch your personal know how so I would better not to ask them.;)

Well, fingers crossed, we will see what happens, a few keywords I tried the result was quite similar to the results from Google but like you said, its still in beta stages

I'd subscribe to your newsletter OWG. And also contribute a few lines if you like.

OWG, I would certainly sign up to your newsletter, and maybe I will have some question to you though I think that would touch your personal know how so I would better not to ask them.;)

Trust me Bagi, I will not hold anything back. The reality is that now and again I need help. I am a crap coder, and I know absolutely nothing about servers and all the hardware stuff. I do however know about the web, sales, maketing, and internet marketing. I don't hold much back, although now and again If a question undermines a project I am working on personally, I will answer it openly, but fill in more details privately. (ask Temi ;) )

I'd subscribe to your newsletter OWG. And also contribute a few lines if you like.

That would be good melkior. What we could do as an idea, is that I could point out how a certain script could be bettered, and you could provide the code for it. Doing it that way would help both users of the script and the writers of the script. I have worked with the teams of a couple of php scripts (ecommerce, articles, directories), and still do behind the scenes., so it would be good to get it out in the newsletter. I thought I might invite people to throw their ideas for improving a script up, and I could then let them know how it could be implemented.

I will take you up on that :)

Thank you OWG for your support I will try to help you as much as it's possible but now I still not really know how I can do it. If you figure it out just let me know and I will do so.

MI
Back