The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

.htaccess file

lala56

affiliate
Hi there,

Does anyone have experience with the .htaccess file?

Someone said that it would help Google if you enter a "last modified date" in your .htaccess file or scripts in your pages.

I really do not have a clue what a .htaccess file is or which information including the syntax would be necessary.

Thank you,
lala

Lala,
I do not think its a good idea or its true to modify .htaccess just to add "last modified date" if you have not modified anything in the first place. .htaccess is a hidden file (hidden from users and web browser) but you can see if you set your ftp software to view hidden file.
I will suggest you leave it well alone unless you know what you are doing :)

More questions

Temi,

Thank you.

What is the file for? Who would write changes to it? And in case you have updated content on the site do you then have to update the file?

I would not mind to have at least a look on one to get an idea what this is all about. Is there a safe way just to check the entries in the file?

lala :)

Lala,
Yes, its a good idea to have a look. The file is used for a number of thing for example, until about 4 or 5 weeks ago, this forum was at UK Forums - Webmaster SEO & Small Business Discussions - Powered by vBulletin . Then I decided that its better on the current url. I used .httaccess file to point all traffic that are still going to the old url to come to this new url. That is just one of the several uses it can be put to. I hope others will give example of how they have used .httaccess file :)

Separate file

Is there any example file that I could have a look at (including good articles, books etc)? I wondered what the file itself would loook like. Or is it included into t he HTML header?

lala

Lala,
The file is hidden (which means you cannot see it unless you instruct your browser or ftp software to reveal hiddent files as well)

Its and ugly complicated looking file........ I have just pasted one below. Its the defaul .httaccess file that come with a directory software called eSyndicate.
I don't think you need a book for it, just do a search on the net and you will find a lot of tutorials on .httaccess file. BTW, its a Unix/Linux file, I don't think it exist on Windows platform.
-----------here is a .httaccess file---------------------
# enable mod_rewrite
RewriteEngine on

# mod_rewrite rules for categories pages
RewriteRule ^(.*)/$ index.php?category=$1 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^(.*)/index([0-9]+).html$ index.php?category=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L]

# mod_rewrite rule for suggest link page
RewriteRule ^suggest-link([0-9]+).html$ suggest-link.php?id=$1 [QSA,L]

# mod_rewrite rules for new links page
RewriteRule ^new-links.html$ new-links.php [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^new-links([0-9]+).html$ new-links.php?page=$1 [QSA,L]

# mod_rewrite rules for top links page
RewriteRule ^top-links.html$ top-links.php [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^top-links([0-9]+).html$ top-links.php?page=$1 [QSA,L]

# mod_rewrite rules for popular links page
RewriteRule ^popular-links.html$ popular-links.php [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^popular-links([0-9]+).html$ popular-links.php?page=$1 [QSA,L]

# mod_rewrite rules for editors links page
RewriteRule ^editor-links/index.html$ editor-links.php [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^editor-links/index([0-9]+).html$ editor-links.php?page=$1 [QSA,L]

# mod_rewrite rules for view link page
RewriteRule ^(.*)/(.*)-l([0-9]+).html$ view-link.php?cat=$1&title=$2&id=$3 [QSA,L]

# mod_rewrite rules for news page
RewriteRule ^news.html$ news.php [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^(.*)-n([0-9]+).html$ news.php?title=$1&id=$2 [QSA,L]

# mod_rewrite rules for additional pages
RewriteRule ^p(.*).html$ page.php?name=$1 [QSA,L]

# mod_rewrite rules for error pages
RewriteRule ^([0-9]+).htm$ error.php?error=$1 [QSA,L]

ErrorDocument 500 /dir/500.htm
ErrorDocument 404 /dir/404.htm
ErrorDocument 403 /dir/403.htm
ErrorDocument 401 /dir/401.htm

The 'last modified ' notice is sent by your web server. whoever told you to add it to your htaccess is wrong. Most 99% of servers supply the last modified timestamp, but dynamic sites always give a last modified datestamp as the time the spider hits it.

Be VERY carefull what you do with your htaccess,as you can block the robots completely from visiting the site if you get it wrong.

Be VERY carefull what you do with your htaccess,as you can block the robots completely from visiting the site if you get it wrong.

Lala, I will go one step further and say DO NOT TOUCH your .httaccess at all unless you absolutely need and even them, ensure you have a backup of the original .httaccess file so that you can restore it if changes you made goes wrong.
Good luck

No worries

Thank you guys.

Do not worry. I am just curious. I would not dare to change the file unless I know more about it (if it was true that it helps with Google I would have tried to find someone who knows what he/she is doing).

lala

Pm me your url and I will take a quick look at things for you. You can then rest assured as to what needs doing, (if anything)

Hi Old Welch Guy,

I hope you are ok? I did not hear from you for some time...

Let me know if you need any further information.

lala

Lala,
The guys is very very old (about 199 years old lol so he tends to forget things, if you do not get a response from him in a few days send him a PM to get his old memory working :)

Cheers, Temi!

How are you? Enjoying your Saturday?

Will take your advice if I do not hear back till Tuesday...

lala

Thank you!

Yes, cool. Did not think I would have any enjoyment tonight, but my stresslevels have come down (my son just entered the terrible twos)...

lala

Ohh dear :( I know that feeling when they get into the teribble twos, console yourself with the fact that it will be over in a few years, and they will be calm and rational. My youngest is nine... it gets less stressful with each passing year (till the get to the teens :(

Well Lala, you have 11 years to prepare your mind for that :rolleyes: but you may be in for a big suprise, he may turn out to be a very sweet teenager :)

MI
Back