The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

How to Tighten Up a PPC Campaign?

azgold

Administrator
Administrator
Dojo Master
Well, TJ - as if I haven't flung enough questions at you already....I have another.

I understand the importance of monitoring PPC clicks/campaigns, etc. but HOW do you do that?

In the channel/keyword stats below for one of my campaigns running on 7Search, you can see that only three channels/keywords are working to pull in clicks and not very well, at that. No conversions so far. Do I pull all keywords/channels except the three with clicks? Pull all but the one with highest clicks, or maybe the two highest? Drop that particular campaign altogether?

How do we know when it's time to drop or adjust a campaign? What should we be looking for in our stats as things go along? Aside from conversions, I mean. At what point should we be saying to ourselves that it's time to tweak or quit?

Thank-you!

N0D0Dna.jpg

Last edited:
I understand the importance of monitoring PPC clicks/campaigns, etc. but HOW do you do that?
Okay, so you should be getting data from three sources. The search network, the tracking data, and the network data. The first thing you do is confirm whether or not the overlapping data from the three match up. Then consult the data in the tracker more closely. Eliminate keywords that don't produce, eliminating partners that seem to send lots of non-converting traffic by partner blocking, and scheduling ads for the time periods that produce traffic and conversions.

Then, without knowing, I am guessing you did not do an entire weeks campaign run. It is very important, IMO, to run a campaign for a minimum of five days. Many may not agree with this, but I have found it to provide more accurate data. I try to do 7 days runs. I have learned that there are hidden gems in the week with some campaigns that in some cases can add another 7% or 8% to overall conversions. Small time slots that seemed to provide the majority of conversions. So at least 5 days for me and preferably 7 days. Remember that the entire purpose of running ads open throttle for that period is to get enough data about each day, you are buying data and not losing money. You are paying for data that wil tell you when you can earn from the campaign.

In the channel/keyword stats below for one of my campaigns running on 7Search, you can see that only three channels/keywords are working to pull in clicks and not very well, at that. No conversions so far. Do I pull all keywords/channels except the three with clicks? Pull all but the one with highest clicks, or maybe the two highest? Drop that particular campaign altogether?
Yes, lose the non-performers.

In addition, before going on, I am wondering if you have at least 10 ads and 5 landing pages. 5 ads for the landers and 5 ads for direct links. You see, you need to try various forms of your ads to see if various forms of copy can out produce the others. Various forms of the landing pages does the same. You also get to see if direct links out perform the landers, and so on. Sometimes, just a small word or a contraction can make the difference between earning or not. Sometimes it's the colors.

How do we know when it's time to drop or adjust a campaign? What should we be looking for in our stats as things go along? Aside from conversions, I mean. At what point should we be saying to ourselves that it's time to tweak or quit?
You'll know if you don't find a way to earn during that 5 or 7 days of open throttle ads.

Last edited:
Oh, boy. I have a lot of work to do.

To add a little more info re a few of the things you mentioned:

I am direct linking (quit using Bevo for a bit because I screwed up the last two campaigns, didn't do something right) from several banners - one for almost every size 7Search offers. They are very attractive banners. I've been thinking of trying the text ads....obviously (from your reply) I should!

The campaign has been running for ten days.

As of 10:47 p.m. EST, I have 20,000 more impressions, 4 more clicks, 0 conversions. Even the clicks are slowing down, maybe this one has run its course. I'm going to pause it for now, as I am already over your recommended seven days and it has cost, rather than made any money. Not sure if I'll delete it and run a different one, or save it for later.

Network stats show five fewer clicks than 7Search.

I believe that I have decided to go with Bluehost for my VPS, with likely sign up tomorrow. Then I will be implementing landing pages, as well.

I've noticed that it always takes two or three days for traffic and clicks to pick up. The first day or two, things seem sluggish.

My preference for anything is to know what I'm doing before I do it but since October, I've tempered that....now I start and figure I'll learn as I go. If I wait until I understand it all thoroughly, I'll never get started. I know this about myself.

As always, HUGE thank-you, TJ!

Last edited:
Well two of my favorite fixers in the world, in the same thread, I might as well chime in and throw my two cents (or pesos heh). First of AZ congratulations on going out there and taking ACTION. Cause no ammount of knowledge will make money unless is put to use. So kudos and best of luck.

I also believe TJ is right on the money with his tips and you should really, take them in consideration for any PPC campaign you ever make... BUT, with this particular offer+traffic source combination, I think you actually have what stock brokers call as a "dog". Not worth your time nor money, and probably a big waste of both. If after a few days you only have LESS THAN 100 CLICKS AND NO CONVERSIONS AT ALL. So there isn't actually any volume there, cause either no one is searching for those keywords/channels at 7search placements, or there's too much competition and you gotta bid way high for any leftover clicks. So data is coming in way to slow. By the time you have enough, to know if it's a viable option or not, the offer will be probably paused/terminated/snatched from you anyway (happens all the time). Or many other things will happen, and you won't make any money back. Cause the volume is not there anyway. And what about the time spent trying to optimize the unoptimazable (hey think I just invented a word).

So in this case launching several banners/text ads/placement combinations, or "twiking" is way "putting the cart before the horse". Cause you will be spreading yourself thin, cause more combinations mean more budget+volume needed to test & gather any significant data. Cause who knows, maybe somebody is making $xx,xxx/day on Google with the same offer, but by the time you make 5 bucks back out of 10 spent on testing it, that guy already ate the whole budget and offer will pause/end/whatever.

Remember most likely 20% of the offers you run, will make 80% of your revenue, so once you find a "winner", you wanna be the first milking that cow till it's dry, cause who knows how long the cow will live, or a new one will come around. So milk that freaking cashcow for all it's worth! :p

So my advice is, find out where the most volume is within 7search, which countries they get most traffic from, then what channels/keywords, get the most of it. So through them you will find the offers that will KILL IT on those. Adapt your offers to the customer base, not the other way around. If most people on 7search are looking for insurance in the USA, I'd look for the hottest USA insurance offers to pitch to them. Or sweepstakes, iphone apps, dating sites or whatever is it they want. Then apply all what TJ adviced you to. And never run a campaign at least you got tracking in check to gather data on best keyword/banner/placement/offer combination. Otherwise is like money down the drain.

Hope I actually managed to make sense, since sleep deprivation and several days of a very nasty flu have taken its toll on me lol. Wish I could help more (or actually help some heh). Great luck & profits.

Cheers.

[video=youtube;VgSMxY6asoE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSMxY6asoE[/video]

Well two of my favorite fixers in the world, in the same thread, I might as well chime in and throw my two cents (or pesos heh). First of AZ congratulations on going out there and taking ACTION. Cause no ammount of knowledge will make money unless is put to use. So kudos and best of luck.

Awwwww, thx DJ! :)

Yeah, it was outside my comfort zone somewhat to jump into the deep end of the pool but I figured it was either "do it or don't do it but pick one." I think there comes a point where all the initial reading, etc. becomes fence sitting. I'm a good fence sitter, best around. :) But I'm trying to change that. The only thing that happens when you spend all your time on the fence is that you get older.

I also believe TJ is right on the money with his tips and you should really, take them in consideration for any PPC campaign you ever make... BUT, with this particular offer+traffic source combination, I think you actually have what stock brokers call as a "dog". Not worth your time nor money, and probably a big waste of both. If after a few days you only have LESS THAN 100 CLICKS AND NO CONVERSIONS AT ALL. So there isn't actually any volume there, cause either no one is searching for those keywords/channels at 7search placements, or there's too much competition and you gotta bid way high for any leftover clicks. So data is coming in way to slow. By the time you have enough, to know if it's a viable option or not, the offer will be probably paused/terminated/snatched from you anyway (happens all the time). Or many other things will happen, and you won't make any money back. Cause the volume is not there anyway. And what about the time spent trying to optimize the unoptimazable (hey think I just invented a word).

So in this case launching several banners/text ads/placement combinations, or "twiking" is way "putting the cart before the horse".

...So my advice is, find out where the most volume is within 7search, which countries they get most traffic from, then what channels/keywords, get the most of it. So through them you will find the offers that will KILL IT on those. Adapt your offers to the customer base, not the other way around. If most people on 7search are looking for insurance in the USA, I'd look for the hottest USA insurance offers to pitch to them. Or sweepstakes, iphone apps, dating sites or whatever is it they want. Then apply all what TJ adviced you to. And never run a campaign at least you got tracking in check to gather data on best keyword/banner/placement/offer combination. Otherwise is like money down the drain.

Whoa. The creatives looked so professional, it never occurred to me that it was a dud. You mean it's them, not me? Haha! I'm kidding around but understand what you're saying, thanks.

Didn't even think of doing things the other way around. Am now doing the V8 palm to forehead thing!

Re "unoptimizable," you are a Mr. Smartypants, 'cause look:
Tl2ztFp.jpg

Hope I actually managed to make sense, since sleep deprivation and several days of a very nasty flu have taken its toll on me lol. Wish I could help more (or actually help some heh). Great luck & profits.

You have been a big help, thank-you! I'm sorry to hear that you have the flu. If it's anything like the one that went around our area the last month or two, you are NOT having any fun. I hope you feel better really soon!

I am direct linking (quit using Bevo for a bit because I screwed up the last two campaigns, didn't do something right)

I actually posted a question for you in a thread you started about your issue there. I didn't see your response. I think I may have the answer to that issue. You cannot truly get enough data without a tracker. If you don't like Bevo then get P202 Free Version installed on your new VPS. You'll need a dedicated domain name for this.

The campaign has been running for ten days.

On average azgold, 5 to 7 days is all you need.

As of 10:47 p.m. EST, I have 20,000 more impressions, 4 more clicks, 0 conversions. Even the clicks are slowing down, maybe this one has run its course. I'm going to pause it for now, as I am already over your recommended seven days and it has cost, rather than made any money. Not sure if I'll delete it and run a different one, or save it for later.

Remember, you are buying data, not losing money. It could be copy, it could be the offer (I had a Dating ad recently that failed and when I changed the link to a different offer it started earning. Sometimes these offers get weak. Especially with Dating, Health, Wellness, and Finance.

I believe that I have decided to go with Bluehost for my VPS, with likely sign up tomorrow. Then I will be implementing landing pages, as well.

Both great ideas kiddo'!

I've noticed that it always takes two or three days for traffic and clicks to pick up. The first day or two, things seem sluggish.

I wouldn't call this typical, but it is typical of bidding low sometimes.

My preference for anything is to know what I'm doing before I do it but since October, I've tempered that....now I start and figure I'll learn as I go. If I wait until I understand it all thoroughly, I'll never get started. I know this about myself.

Get it started, then polish it up as you progress. Nothing ever gets to be perfect.

As always, HUGE thank-you, TJ!

You GO GIRL, you got GAME!!!

I actually posted a question for you in a thread you started about your issue there. I didn't see your response. I think I may have the answer to that issue. You cannot truly get enough data without a tracker. If you don't like Bevo then get P202 Free Version installed on your new VPS. You'll need a dedicated domain name for this.

Oh, poo! I missed it. Will go look.

Re Bevo, it's not that I don't like it. I simply haven't figured it out yet - not just the confusing interface but also all the ### stuff that you have to put in the link to get all the info. I have a feeling the link thingy won't be that hard to learn but the last couple of times I used it, I did something wrong and the clicks weren't registering with the network.

Remember, you are buying data, not losing money. It could be copy, it could be the offer (I had a Dating ad recently that failed and when I changed the link to a different offer it started earning. Sometimes these offers get weak. Especially with Dating, Health, Wellness, and Finance

Right, I forgot! Well, I didn't really forget but I forgot to phrase it that way. Mainly because I didn't buy much in the way of data, my own fault, of course.

Re the copy, I was only running a display campaign.

I wouldn't call this typical, but it is typical of bidding low sometimes.

Ah! Low bids can cause this? Well, I have my answer for that one now. I was quoting low.

You GO GIRL, you got GAME!!!

Thx! :) You are a great cheerleader! Not to mention guide!

banners
Back