How to set up search engine friendly 301 page redirect

temi

affiliate
=============================================================
Original posted by OWG of Umbrella Consultancy, umbrella-consultancy.co.uk
=============================================================
Creating a .htaccess File to Configure a 301 Redirect
------------------------------------------------------------------
The .htaccess file should be in the DocumentRoot directory for your web site. IMPORTANT. check to see if there is already a htaccess file there, if there is then download that, and ADD the instruction below, then upload it.
NEVER edit the htaccess in word or any other stylesheet type text editor as they create underlying code. use either notepad, or WordPad.

The .htaccess file contains two columns. The first column is what you want redirected and the second column is where you want it redirected to.

For example, to redirect an entire web site to another site:

Redirect 301 / newdomain.com/

Or, to redirect just one page to another page:

Redirect 301 /index.htm domain.com/index.html

This will cure all ills

OWG

---------------------------------------------------------
Original post can be found here:http://forums.ukwebmasterworld.com/viewtopic.php?p=2649#2649

Same here, I think a bit of work on the error page can help catch some users that would otherwise get annoyed and leave

This is definetly something we need. As often as we see the error pages on Lifesupporters because we're hosting with Canaca, we should have a better error page set up.

Any customers of Canaca should just make their error pages their Home Pages. Man those guys suck!

I actually think my 404's have a higher page rank than my index.php page does.

rofl actually I was going to make a similar comment, nice idea on making the error page the homepage, sometimes it feels like it. :(

I actually have it on my "to do" list but that list is growing exponentially by the hour.

If it is permanent shifting it's good but if you are using a 301 for a "temporary" shift in traffic that's risky. There is no guarantee hw long, or even if Google will reindex and rank the old page when you drop the 301.

Right temi, I agree with you, redirecting the old domain using 301 redirect moved- permanently is a good idea, doing so you’ll be able to redirect all traffic from the old domain to the new domain.

However I'll suggest you should publish the changeovers to an online press release informing the online community of this changeover; usually people forget to do that.

etechsupport said:
However I'll suggest you should publish the changeovers to an online press release informing the online community of this changeover; usually people forget to do that.

This is new to me, how do you do publish the changeovers to online press? I have actually never done and online press release please give me url of sites one should send such press release to
Thanks

temi said:
This is new to me, how do you do publish the changeovers to online press? I have actually never done and online press release please give me url of sites one should send such press release to
Thanks

This could be done on press release sites such as PRWeb.com and http://www.theopenpress.com and the industry-related authority sites. Whatever press release your issue, remember to include a link to it.

banners
Back