Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

how to master copywriting?

ismail elouatiq

Affiliate Manager
Affiliate Manager
Admusketeer
Hello everybody
I would like to ask anyone here who has good skills in copy writting to tell me a best source to learn and master copy writing ?

I'd suggest The Boron Letters as a solid, entry-level look at the core concepts:

https://www.amazon.com/Boron-Letters-Gary-Halbert-ebook/dp/B00BMWEFR4

Easy and fun to read.

Is that a ref link? If so, you should mention that and also provide a non ref link. But you're right about The Boron Letters.

Definitely Gary Halbert: The Gary Halbert Letter

Also, anything by these guys, they're legends:

David Garfinkel
Dan Kennedy
Drew Eric Whitman

Also, Copyblogger has a Copywriting101 course, think it's free. There are many courses available from many people, including names you'd recognize in the AM world, so I suggest you pick one and focus on that, just as you would when learning affiliate marketing. :)

Really, all you need to get started is the Gary Halbert Letter that I linked to. Follow his instructions then decide if you need more training. Bonus is that it's free. :)

Is that a ref link? If so, you should mention that and also provide a non ref link. But you're right about The Boron Letters.

Not sure if it's a ref link, but it's not an affiliate link, if that's what is meant by "ref." I'll make sure to mention that in the future. :)

Not sure if it's a ref link, but it's not an affiliate link, if that's what is meant by "ref." I'll make sure to mention that in the future. :)

Oh, sorry - yes, I meant affiliate, thanks. Still on my first cup of coffee.

78114-Coffee-I-Need-Coffee.jpg

Legendary copywriter Eugene Schwartz created a system of working that, before he was finished, enabled him to write nine books (including the classic Breakthrough Advertising), dozens and dozens of successful ads, and countless articles for well-known publications all over the world.

He did it all by — in his own words — writing only 3 hours a day, 5 days a week.

And he did it in style.

As one of the highest-paid copywriters of the 1950s and 60s, Schwartz lived very comfortably in Manhattan, became a world-class art collector, and a respected Biblical scholar.

His technique for getting copy written is offensively simple.

Here’s the thing, I know what you’re going to say about this.

“That’s so obvious.”

Or …

“Yeah, thanks for wasting my time. I’m a serious copywriter and this is insulting.”

That’s fine, ignore this approach at your own professional peril. Or, use it and watch your career accelerate.

The hard work clause
Before I lay this thing out, let me be clear that Schwartz was a consummate craftsman.

He worked incessantly to both improve his copywriting skills as well as prepare for jobs through dedicated research.

He even joked that, by the end of a job, he’d know more about a product than the person who’d created it.

He did this by reading, re-reading, and re-re-reading all the information he could get his hands on about the product and by systematically marking down the benefits — as stated by its creator — one by one.

This gave him unlimited ammunition going into the writing part of the game.

If you don’t know your craft, you’re sunk.

If you don’t do your research — trust me — your gig will end in humiliating failure.

All right, on with the show …

3 hours a day, 5 days a week
Schwartz said that learning the craft and doing the research are the hard work.

Writing, as many can attest, can be the impossible work.

You stare at the blank screen, blinking and terrified. You get up and grab another coffee, you walk around re-organizing your bookshelf.

You drink.

You pick at your teeth.

You Tweet something stupid.

You’re blocked.

Eugene Schwartz never had writer’s block. He never faced self-doubt in front of the page. How did he become one of the most powerful copywriters in the history of the business?

He set a small kitchen timer to 33.33 minutes and pressed the start button.

Here’s the part where you either roll your eyes and leave in disgust or read on and potentially change your game. Make your decision.

Schwartz describes sitting at his writing desk five days a week. It was a cluttered disaster, but he had a ritual and he never wrote anywhere else.

He’d have his coffee on the left, with a little cream mixed in, and a few pens on his right, displayed just so.

He’d turn to his machine and the ad he was working on (admittedly, he didn’t have to worry about Twitter back then).

Then he’d set the small timer for 33.33 minutes.

Once that timer was set, there were only a few simple rules:

1. He could drink coffee
  2. He could stare out the window, or at the wall
  3. He could sit and do absolutely nothing for 33.33 minutes
  4. He could write the ad
  5. He could not leave the chair for any reason
  6. He could not do anything else
That’s it. He just sat in front of his open page with research notes and a skeleton outline on it.

He’d usually sit in that chair for a few minutes until he got bored, and then he’d slowly start typing.

When the timer went off, he’d stop — even if mid-sentence — and go do anything he wanted for 10 or 15 minutes. Then he’d go back and do it again.

Craft and research were the fuel, but boredom was the key. It got to a point where he just couldn’t sit there for half an hour doing nothing … so he wrote.

He sat down and set that old timer six times a day five days a week. 3 hours a day.

All right, technically that’s 3 hours and 20 minutes a day. Close enough.

Nine books. Dozens and dozens of successful ads. Countless articles. One hell of a living.

Anyway, that’s how one of the world’s greatest copywriters got his writing done.

You can like it, dismiss it, laugh at it or embrace it, but old Eugene Schwartz took it to the bank again and again and again and again …

@Ashley Desouza - do you have permission from Copyblogger to reprint this article here? If not, it will have to be deleted.

Anytime you want to share some great information or articles, please summarize in your own words, credit the original author and site it was originally published on.

Hello everybody
I would like to ask anyone here who has good skills in copy writting to tell me a best source to learn and master copy writing ?
1. Try to write everyday for at least an hour.
2. Write for people, not search engines.
3. Don't stuff your writing with tons of promotions.
4. Read blogs that write on similar topics that you do and monitor which of their articles gets most attention from the readers. Try to inherit some of their style (but not all).
5. A bit contradictory to the previous point, but still - be unique. No one is interested in reading regurgitated information.
6. Don't forget to add visuals to your writings.
7. Before starting to write, make a plan/outline of what you are going to write.
8. Writing is editing, so allocate some time to edit&proofread. It's better to do this next day with a fresh mind.

As for the sources, read blogs like Moz, SearchEngineJournal, BlogStorm, Kissmetrics, Content Marketing Institute, etc.

Hello everybody

It takes years to master this skill my friend and a lot of practice as well. Also, you have to be very keen in finding articles about copywriting... All in all, you just got to have the right attitude and you'll become an expert in no time...:)

1. Try to write everyday for at least an hour.
2. Write for people, not search engines.
3. Don't stuff your writing with tons of promotions.
4. Read blogs that write on similar topics that you do and monitor which of their articles gets most attention from the readers. Try to inherit some of their style (but not all).
5. A bit contradictory to the previous point, but still - be unique. No one is interested in reading regurgitated information.
6. Don't forget to add visuals to your writings.
7. Before starting to write, make a plan/outline of what you are going to write.
8. Writing is editing, so allocate some time to edit&proofread. It's better to do this next day with a fresh mind.

As for the sources, read blogs like Moz, SearchEngineJournal, BlogStorm, Kissmetrics, Content Marketing Institute, etc.

Pretty useful. Thanks!

A master is the one that works a lot and can do his work in a perfect way. 100% perfect. You have to write a lot to become a master.

I think the best way to have good skills in copywriting is to copy write every day and a lot! Practice makes perfect!

Yes...and read a lot. Writers need to read and also need to leave the keyboard long enough to recharge and to have new experiences that can contribute to their writing.

Hi every one
its a good way and easy and faster way to copy content. But copy write claims is occurred to copy and paste content

Last edited by a moderator:
MI
Back