The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

How do you use Content from other sites?

davesev

affiliate
Hi,

I am looking to create a lead magnet and blog content. I have got some great content I would like to use but I have got this from many other websites.

Is there any issues with me using this? Do I need to include the website where the info was taken? I would like the info to look like it's from my website (to maintain my authority).

Do I need to rewrite the articles/info?

Thanks,
Dave

Yes, you required to rewrite.

But according me, If you are not a content writer and cannot possibly rewrite articles. Then You can use this article from 2 types like (1) if you use spin article tools like spinbot, article-rewriter, articlerewritertool.com, and many free websites which make spin article. (2) You post this article and at the last you give Source URL of the original article. Like "Source URL of this article or original Article or Article copied from here: xyz.com"

If you build your site with wordpress you can use an rss importer, you can then creat your own feeds and import content from other sites, just make sure you put a do follow link and credit to where the original post came from

Hi,

I am looking to create a lead magnet and blog content. I have got some great content I would like to use but I have got this from many other websites.

Is there any issues with me using this? Do I need to include the website where the info was taken? I would like the info to look like it's from my website (to maintain my authority).

Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave,
Please don't copy content directly from other's website especially when they are your competitior because if you give them link, google will give credit to those guys and if you post content in your website, you may have to fight legal battle for violating copyright rules.
So my advice to you is that, please take reference from those sites and create a good quality content for your website and also add few exclusive points to give your content a unique touch.

You can curate content, which means part of the article or social comment would be on your site, along with some of your own writing to introduce or comment. However, to read the full article, people would have to click through to the other site, which I assume you're not going to want. But this is legal.

I would suggest rewriting the articles to avoid problems and to keep people on your site.

also add few exclusive points to give your content a unique touch.

Amen. This is where so many get it wrong, and why spinbots/auto-rewriting tools simply fail. You need to benchmark and then beat the content you're pulling from. "Inspiration", "theft", "re-purposing" - whatever you want to call it, it's fine and quite normal in the digital age. But you need to add additional value or you're just spamming, not creating a competitive advantage for yourself (which I imagine is part of your reasoning behind this re-purposing).

Amen. This is where so many get it wrong, and why spinbots/auto-rewriting tools simply fail. You need to benchmark and then beat the content you're pulling from. "Inspiration", "theft", "re-purposing" - whatever you want to call it, it's fine and quite normal in the digital age. But you need to add additional value or you're just spamming, not creating a competitive advantage for yourself (which I imagine is part of your reasoning behind this re-purposing).

"Theft" is NOT fine. I've gone after people who've stolen my content. It's call plagiarism and it's illegal and could get you slapped with a Cease and Desist, or a DMCA.

Using a short, particular passage within your article is fine. Using more than one from more than one person you can usually get away with, too. But you have provide a source and source link to the original.

Yes, you required to rewrite.

But according me, If you are not a content writer and cannot possibly rewrite articles. Then You can use this article from 2 types like (1) if you use spin article tools like spinbot, article-rewriter, articlerewritertool.com, and many free websites which make spin article. (2) You post this article and at the last you give Source URL of the original article. Like "Source URL of this article or original Article or Article copied from here: xyz.com"

I am going to go with including the source of the other article as I don't want to pretend I did the work, but I am providing it. Are there any restrictions to using their work? Do I need to inform them?

e.g. if I publish a recipe from another website on my site, and I include a source to the site where I got the recipe, do I need to contact them? put in any disclaimers? etc.?

"Theft" is NOT fine. I've gone after people who've stolen my content. It's call plagiarism and it's illegal and could get you slapped with a Cease and Desist, or a DMCA.

Using a short, particular passage within your article is fine. Using more than one from more than one person you can usually get away with, too. But you have provide a source and source link to the original.

Outright theft is indeed not okay. However, re-purposing content is a fact of life in the digital age. As someone who creates unique content for a living, it hasn't been a fun realization to come across, but it's the truth.

That said, what you're talking about is straight up ripping something, which isn't what I meant by listing those loose synonyms for this concept (that of taking something that already exists and performs well, then personalizing it, improving on its highlights and eliminating any negative/useless aspects).

If you look at any breaking news story online, you'll find many outlets that make a living off this concept. Someone posts the scoop, then it's stolen/borrowed/repurposed, (usually) credited quietly, improved upon, and then slyly presented as near-original.

Definitely continue to go after people - that's the good fight, and outright theft is lazy and detrimental. But this "race to 10x" is the norm. What OP is asking for is a middle ground and I think its ineffectiveness will become apparent to him soon enough. "Content spinning" is delicious in the eyes of a automation-hungry big-data-loving CEO, but it won't resonate unless the content is always original, even if it's built on well-trodden ground.

I am going to go with including the source of the other article as I don't want to pretend I did the work, but I am providing it. Are there any restrictions to using their work? Do I need to inform them?

e.g. if I publish a recipe from another website on my site, and I include a source to the site where I got the recipe, do I need to contact them? put in any disclaimers? etc.?

Easy rule: if you hit "copy" then "paste" and don't credit the source, you're doing it wrong. (That usually means it wasn't so short as to be trivial - a sentence or two is fine, but you should still credit - I mean, why not credit? It's free and social.)

This stuff is a grey area in general - might want to Google it to see how it might suit your specific situation. Usually asking permission is friendly/smart, but sometimes you can open a can of worms you hadn't intended to deal with.

re-purposing content is a fact of life in the digital age

You're right, I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood you.

"Content spinning" is delicious in the eyes of a automation-hungry big-data-loving CEO, but it won't resonate unless the content is always original, even if it's built on well-trodden ground.

I agree with you!

but you should still credit - I mean, why not credit?

Exactly.

Usually asking permission is friendly/smart, but sometimes you can open a can of worms you hadn't intended to deal with.

Also true. I think best case scenario is to add value or validation to your original article with a snippet or two (with accreditation). You can use someone else's article as a template, rewrite adding original value, or expanding and taking a different angle on the same subject as the original source article.

The whole point is to offer something of VALUE! That will get you return readers.

Hi,

Thanks,
Dave

Hello there! One thing you have to keep in mind when you're using content from other sites is you have to credit your source as much as possible. Also, try to at least "not copy" the entire content by rewriting it in your own words and add more infos which are not found in the original content... And most important, avoid plagiarizing other's contents.

If you want to maintain authority, then you have to keep in mind of these things I've just shared.. Rehashing contents is allowable as long as it is done the right way...:)

banners
Back