propellerads adcombo
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hostgator - Avoid

Discussion in 'Domains and Hosting' started by Welshsparky, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welshsparky

Welshsparky Affiliate affiliate

Hello all

Major Rant coming!

I moved all my websites to my Hostgator reseller account at the end of last year. In the 3 months they have been there, Hostgator have blocked my site on 2 occasions due to CPU loads.

They did it this week, but the best thing was they never even told me. I only found out when I noticed my site was down!!

Needless to say I have spent the last 2 days moving all my sites (25+) to a dedicated server in the UK.

REcommendation

Do not use Hostgator! Their support department take on average 8 hours to answer tickets and when they do their answers are absolute tripe.

To resolve my latest issue took 8 emails, 2 phone calls to the USA and an email to their CEO no less.

2. SkinnerW

SkinnerW Affiliate affiliate

This is not the first time I hear about Hostgator blocking sites due to server load, but at the same time there are many happy users...

I guess if you have a busy site Hostgator should be avoided...

3. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy Affiliate affiliate

If you intend hosting low level CPU traffic then HG is fine. ANYTHING off the mainstream and I would not reommend them.

i use them, but it is only really so I have a couple more IP's, NONE of my premium sites are on there, I wouldn't trust them to take my dog for a walk, let alone play a part in my main income stream :(

4. temi

temi Facilitator affiliate

I think this comes back to what I have been saying about hosting companies, there is no perfect hosting company out there :( I have used hostgator for about 2 years and I rather like their services very much just like I think Heart Internet is the worst possible hosting company on the planet but I know about 2-3 people who has had not problem with their services whatsoever .

5. rhyswynne

rhyswynne Affiliate affiliate

I'll be honest, I'm on Hostgator and I've yet to have problems. My main site only gets 400 hits a day though. What sort of numbers are we talking about Welshsparky?

6. bochgoch

bochgoch Affiliate affiliate

hmmm.... like rhyswynne I'd like to know what volume of traffic you're getting. I was considering a Hostgator reseller account myself so I'd love to know where they draw the line...

7. hotpop

hotpop Affiliate affiliate

It's only good for some blogs or personal sites.
    To high traffic forums or other sites, VPS is good choice

8. mikeinlincs

mikeinlincs Affiliate affiliate

Im with hostgator and been very pleased with their service to date only had a couple of times where the servers where down for couple of minutes in the last 11 months.

I used to be servageNOTnet thats the name I gave them, in the six months I was with them their servers where down for a total of 272 hrs or just over 11 days no refund given.

So don't go with servage or you'll not get any.

Mike :)

9. temi

temi Facilitator affiliate

When did this happen to you Mike? I have used them for about 2 years, never had any down time.

10. mikeinlincs

mikeinlincs Affiliate affiliate

Temi, I left them last march and moved to hostgator and not had any major problems since then. Servage had a DOSA and it took them 4 days to fix it. Just what you need when your trying to get a new site going.

They blamed the scripts I was running + SMF for the problems, I was having with MySQL and after 90+ emails over the last 4 months I was with them, it was too much so I moved. I found out after I had moved that your ok with servage as long as you don't need to use a database.

Mike :)

11. webster007

webster007 Affiliate affiliate

i have learned to stay away from gator and ipower they both are horrible in my own opinion

12. skybow

skybow Affiliate affiliate

I don't have big traffic but I have a few sites on HG. I like their live help because I screw things up a LOT!

Featured Resources (View All)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
adsxposed