The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Hiding/Cloaking identity in email communications

Wotack

Hi All,

I have a question around the registered address that Mailchimp (not sure if Aweber requires it too, but I'm pretty sure it would do) requires when sending an email campaign. How do people manage this?

I know that many will say that if you are comfortable selling a product then it won't matter if you put your registered address down as where your business/partnership/sole entity or whatever resides. But what for those who are not comfortable with associating an email campaign tied in to their real address? So for example say my campaigns are targeted at loans or adult content for example (it's not - just yet anyhow, but just to illustrate a point). I do not want the possibility of exposing my address and my family to any possible direct contact (in person or being sent anything) from people who I am marketing to. To put this in perspective, I would not want my daughter opening the front door to someone who bought some adult content via a link in some email campaign of mine and thinking that they have the right to turn up at my door asking for a refund.

Do people use a PO box that they register? If so are there any suggestions on good services to use? I am UK based, but would be happy to be registered anywhere ;-) (somewhere hot and not rainy preferably ;-) ).

Or are there other alternatives?

Any advice, help on the above would be greatly appreciated.

I've just joined the Dojo too by the way after deliberating for a number of weeks and can thoroughly recommend it. It's well worth the price.

I HATE having to put my real name and address! I don't think it's safe, for one thing.

An alternative is to rent a P.O. Box. I had one until I moved, haven't gotten a new one, there isn't a P.O. conveniently located to where I live now.

Thanks Azgold, good to know that a PO box is a common method in anonymity. In cases where you don't put your real name and address (assuming you use a fake one) is that a cause for concern in terms of legal problems with Aweber/Mailchimp as I guess the reason they ask for it is to adhere to some marketing laws.

Thanks Azgold, good to know that a PO box is a common method in anonymity. In cases where you don't put your real name and address (assuming you use a fake one) is that a cause for concern in terms of legal problems with Aweber/Mailchimp as I guess the reason they ask for it is to adhere to some marketing laws.

Sorry @Wotack but I don't really know the legality. I know that laws have become much stricter to protect consumers. Could you use your website address instead of your actual name? Doesn't help with the physical address issue, though.

Thanks @azgold, yeah seems like a sticky one.

Mailchimp say they can ban you if the contact information is false, however there doesn't seem to be any legal requirement (in the UK at least http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2426/regulation/22/made) to actually put a registered address on communications (this is apparently for the safety of Mailchimp) - The Importance of Permission | MailChimp.com: KB Article

Hmmmm, interesting, I guess it's a bit of a grey line in that as long as you are only emailing people who have consented then it's not too much of an issue where the sender address is registered in that it is essentially flying below the radar of the MAilchimp/Aweber police (again assuming that Aweber requires this).

In fact that may be a really useful guide/section for the Dojo under "Legal" - in terms of legal do's and don'ts of marketing to make sure the Authorities don't come a-knocking ;-)

Thanks @azgold, yeah seems like a sticky one.

Mailchimp say they can ban you if the contact information is false, however there doesn't seem to be any legal requirement (in the UK at least http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2426/regulation/22/made) to actually put a registered address on communications (this is apparently for the safety of Mailchimp) - The Importance of Permission | MailChimp.com: KB Article

Hmmmm, interesting, I guess it's a bit of a grey line in that as long as you are only emailing people who have consented then it's not too much of an issue where the sender address is registered in that it is essentially flying below the radar of the MAilchimp/Aweber police (again assuming that Aweber requires this).

I used to have an Aweber account - love Aweber - but I was using my real name there, didn't try anything else.

I would think that there are many marketers who use their online names vs their real names. That's how they market themselves.

Be careful with MailChimp, they don't like affiliates. You may want to export your list info periodically, just in case.

Thanks for the tip @azgold, yeah I am considering Aweber as I already have a Mailchimp account which we currently use for clients and their Marketing Newsletters so don't really want to risk the Affiliate stuff being mixed up with our core business.

Appreciate the responses :)

Thanks for the tip @azgold, yeah I am considering Aweber as I already have a Mailchimp account which we currently use for clients and their Marketing Newsletters so don't really want to risk the Affiliate stuff being mixed up with our core business.

Appreciate the responses :)

No prob. If you do decide to give Aweber a try, I think you'll never want to use any other. They really are great, including their customer service. Or at least they were when I used them.

I opened a Canadian AR after the new CASL regulations came into effect. They are so convoluted that I wanted lists to be handled by a Canadian provider who understood them a whole lot better than I did. :)

To me i am always so afraid to engage in the platforms that ask me to have the real name and address on them. We today live in the world which people can purchase your information and use it for manipulative reasons. I therefore will not support the move. I in fact always deny joining the such like networks. I can work well and I value the privacy very much. I do not want to be stalked and monitored on everything i do just because i submitted the real name and address to the network.

To me i am always so afraid to engage in the platforms that ask me to have the real name and address on them. We today live in the world which people can purchase your information and use it for manipulative reasons. I therefore will not support the move. I in fact always deny joining the such like networks. I can work well and I value the privacy very much. I do not want to be stalked and monitored on everything i do just because i submitted the real name and address to the network.

I share your concern but it is getting difficult not to deal in your real or company name these days.

I hate having to give out personal information but in some cases, I don't know how to get around that.

You could always just get a virtual mailbox from a place like: travelingmailbox.com

All that matters is that the mailing address is a valid address that you can receive mail from.

You could always just get a virtual mailbox from a place like: travelingmailbox.com

All that matters is that the mailing address is a valid address that you can receive mail from.

Whaaaat? Cool, never heard of a virtual mailbox, thanks!

Just had a look, what a great idea! Too bad it's only in the U.S.

The only thing that made me a little uncomfortable is the idea of somebody else seeing my mail before I do, and them deciding what should be shredded.

Still, I love the idea! Seems like a perfect solution to me.

Then, why are you on the internet if you're worried about privacy? What do you think your ISP is doing? The second you use any network connected device, you've lost your anonymity.

-----

Get a DBA and do the following for CAN-SPAM addresses if you're in the US. I don't know if other countries use the 9 digit address.

Name: Use DBA Name
Address: Use imaginary street address using your company slogan
City/State/Zip: Give your real city, state and 9 digit zip code for your physical address. (The nine digit zip code is the key and is usually found on your junk mail).

Myxzptlk FishStix Inc.
123 Tastee Way
New York, NY 12345-6789

This is an old school trick from the direct mailing days.

Last edited:
MI
Back