The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

HELP: tracking conversions from PPC campaign

chodelka

affiliate
Hi guys,

I have a problem I just can not figure out by myself.

I have a website with reviews of different products. These reviews have regular affiliate links pointing to merchandisers.

My question is: is there any way to track from which campaigns (or traffic sources) conversions come?

Just a quick recap:

- I have a website
- I have a product review page
- on the page I have several links which point to the Advertiser (e-commerce)
- I will send different traffic to this page
- I will generate several conversions

Can I track from which sources are these conversions?

Maybe I can pass some dynamic value from traffic source (Google AdWords or Facebook) to the affiliate link?

Thanks for any help,
Peter

1. By using a tracker, you can setup two campaigns - one for each traffic source and setup the postback with affiliate network so the conversions can be tracked on your tracker.
I recommend Thrive. (30 day free trial then $99).
This is the recommend way to track affiliate marketing campaigns.

2. Alternatively, you can use the subids in the affiliate link and manually make a link for facebook and google adwords like:

http://affiliatelink.com?s1=fb (to use on facebook ads)
http://affiliatelink.com?s1=adwords (to use on google adwords)

S1 part will vary among affiliate networks as it depends upon upon the platform of the affiliate network.
This you can get from your Affiliate manager.
Then in the affiliate network reports, you will be able to see where to conversion came from.

Also, I dont recommend using the exact traffic source name for subids as this info is also passed along to network and advertiser. Instead use a arbitrary value for you to keep track where the conversion came from.

Great info!

So the tracker is the only option?

I was using Voluum before, but it was too complicated for me..

Hi Peter - Yes, using a tracking software is the only way for you to have a global view of what campaigns are producing conversions and revenues.
We have in trackingdesk a special features for website owners that not only drive traffic from paid campaigns, but also from organic traffic (as i assume your website does generate some organic traffic too). Once you've setup your tracking/marketing funnel, you can setup unlimited number of campaigns without having to ever update/change your site's codes and you will be able to track everything and anything from the initial click that will lead the visitor to your site, until the conversion (or conversions) occurring with the affiliate programs you work with.

You're welcome to signup with our software and book a demo with me and I will walk you through the relevant features for your needs.

Best regards,
Laurent

Great info!

So the tracker is the only option?
No its not the only option. Its the recommend one.

2nd option:
2. Alternatively, you can use the subids in the affiliate link and manually make a link for facebook and google adwords like:

S1 part will vary among affiliate networks as it depends upon upon the platform of the affiliate network.
This you can get from your Affiliate manager.
Then in the affiliate network reports, you will be able to see where to conversion came from.

Also, I dont recommend using the exact traffic source name for subids as this info is also passed along to network and advertiser. Instead use a arbitrary value for you to keep track where the conversion came from.

I was using Voluum before, but it was too complicated for me..

Tracking is an essential part of running paid traffic.

Check out this: Gold - Voluum - The Ultimate Guide! | Affiliate Marketing Forum | AffiliateFix

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have a problem I just can not figure out by myself.

I have a website with reviews of different products. These reviews have regular affiliate links pointing to merchandisers.

My question is: is there any way to track from which campaigns (or traffic sources) conversions come?

Just a quick recap:

- I have a website
- I have a product review page
- on the page I have several links which point to the Advertiser (e-commerce)
- I will send different traffic to this page
- I will generate several conversions

Can I track from which sources are these conversions?

Maybe I can pass some dynamic value from traffic source (Google AdWords or Facebook) to the affiliate link?

Thanks for any help,
Peter

Hello, Peter. You can choose any option from the offered above. But there is no way you can manage and choose the best working campaigns without tracker, it's very simple and moreover cloud-hosted trackers allow you to keep all data in one platform, easily navigate and compare the results, with build-in filters on AdsBridge you even can check the best working countries, cities and periods when your campaigns are most successful. Then you can adopt setting accordingly, so get max effect and income.

That would mean that @chodelka creates 2 versions of his site in order to be able to track both ad campaigns.

Like: reviewsite.com/?adwords where the call to actions on the site are manually set like you mentioned and an other one reviewsite.com/?facebook where againthe call to actions on teh site are manually set...

Eventually, what I imagine @chodelka wants is to have one version of his site, create a campaign for facebook that leads the visitors to his site where they can click on the call to actions to eventually convert on the ecommerce site.

This is the feature we have develop and allow to track review sites/portals for both organic and paid traffic.

Eventually you want to to do less and achieve more.

Hi,

I know this thread hasn't been live for a while, but I'm a newbie with a very similar site with reviews, sending visitors to advertisers.

I've been using the referral reports in CJ/linkshare and other platforms to see where my conversions are coming from. Is there a problem working this way?

Also - I now have a small advertiser that doesn't run through a network and can't provide me with the referral URL (they don't know how to do it techincally). Is there a work around or must I use one of the solution suggested above?

Thanks

I've been using the referral reports in CJ/linkshare and other platforms to see where my conversions are coming from. Is there a problem working this way?

Not if it gives you the data you need to optimize your campaigns.

Also - I now have a small advertiser that doesn't run through a network and can't provide me with the referral URL (they don't know how to do it techincally). Is there a work around or must I use one of the solution suggested above?

How do they know who earned the commission on a sale without a referral URL?

How do they know who earned the commission on a sale without a referral URL?

I use this URL to send them traffic: advertiser.com?aff_id=12345
I guess all they do is take the affiliate ID and assign the sale to me.

But I want them to show me the URL on my site that sent them the user, which is what they are having trouble with.
So I suggested that I add a parameter to the affiliate link: advertiser.com?aff_id=12345&subid=somestring
They should be able to store the subid and show it next to each sale, right?
Or am I missing something?

I use this URL to send them traffic: advertiser.com?aff_id=12345
I guess all they do is take the affiliate ID and assign the sale to me.

But I want them to show me the URL on my site that sent them the user, which is what they are having trouble with.
So I suggested that I add a parameter to the affiliate link: advertiser.com?aff_id=12345&subid=somestring
They should be able to store the subid and show it next to each sale, right?
Or am I missing something?

Oh, sorry - I misunderstood your meaning. I thought you meant they didn't provide you with an affiliate URL. *Not enough coffee*

How about using your tracker to monitor the referrals?

banners
Back