The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Google Trends --Fact or Fiction?

Graybeard

I am always a critic of anything Google --they are always suspect in my eyes --maybe because I think they have become Internet bullies --guess who Mr. Robot's thinly veiled nemesis was:D

However, I had some interesting confirmation of Google Trends *possible accuracy* this morning.
COVID-19 was the topic and it should be noted that any fudging might be foolish on this subject for the reason that much government and NGO (Non Governmental Organization) data is readily available to detect the accuracy. With that reservation said;

February 19, 2021 I collected the following data from Google Trends:
covid_trends.jpg

Then I took the regional (by US states) .csv download and started to work with the data.
Made a MySQL table for the data
create.png

Found the average 'interest' of all 4 keyword trends in search;
FIND_avg.png

From this I deduced the wide variance with the COVID-19 Vaccine search --unless you have been living under a rock the vaccines are in motion and are much sought after.
interest-trends-sorted.png

This image is date February 20, 2021 from this a drew some conclusions (right ot wrong) for the purpose of developing the charts and content that would be of the greatest interest in my coronavirus site (under development currently). There will be charts updated daily programmatically.

At the time I was deciding what importance and weight to give the CDC vaccination and coronavirus variants. See virus mutation :0 new problem possibly.

That was 10 days ago
  • what I did notice was the New England states (VT, NH, ME) at the top for the list.
  • Relative to the death rates of the entire United States as a baseline (or median) the death rates of these states we well below the averages
    1. so what is happening there?
    2. why all the interest?
    3. why the panic interest?
Well, first thing this morning;
I look at the case growth -- the infection `RATE` (really a misnomer --INFECTION GROWTH MULTIPLIER would be more accurate).

Well look at who's in the 'red' Maine(ME), Vermont(VT), New Hampshire(NH)

These are the count of positive test results or 'cases' over a 90 day period ending yesterday
upload_2021-3-1_9-14-57.png

CONCLUSIONS

So, now I know the reason there's is panic in New England and why Google Trends was an accurate indicator.

Is Google Trends an accurate indicator by GEO and Region on less confirmed subjects --like the offer's product or content subject matter that would be of interest?
I cannot say for sure without some outlying data confirmation.

Granted, the Pandemic is easy --for reason there is a lot of external accurate(?) data available from multiple sources. How much of this is just the tail wagging the dog? Well, there are 513,091 known COVID-19 deaths in The USA this morning ...

The CDC update of the hospital survey today (weekly on Monday?)
upload_2021-3-1_18-8-24.png

The states near the top are on the bottom for my calculated `SEVERITY` index/algorithm.
Fear is a trend perhaps
upload_2021-3-1_18-13-17.png

the national average =1 AS `SEVERITY`

***This list is subject to the consistency of that state and county health department reporting standards and participation; and as such is only including the participants --some reporting is spotty or non cooperative unfortunately.

They are somewhat of a monopoly, so they are free to dictate their rules, and we are just spectators who can use something to their advantage.

Some stages of reorganisation or a working formula may not be clear to us.
It is a question of money; the company is doing everything possible and impossible to be in the black.

MI
Back