The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

From Riches to Rags; My Journey to Poverty and Infamy

newbie arksy

affiliate
To all those here who are more successful than I (read: everyone), I would just like to say; I hate y…I mean Hello!

Introduction

I supposed I should introduce myself. My name is Arkin and I’m 26 years old. I just graduated six months ago after around six years of University with a law degree. Unfortunately for me the industry right now is so far up shit creek that having a paddle right now wouldn't even help. Out of my immediate friends group...we're talking about around twenty graduates, six have gotten jobs and hilariously, only three have gotten jobs in the legal industry.

So after three humiliating months trying to find a job I've given up for the next month to try to focus on other things. Being unemployed does bring you a side of focus with a generous serving of FUCKING BORRRRREEEDDD. With that focus I've started going to the gym and learning another language. You know, because a mere three already isn’t nearly enough.

So far, I’ve tried a few of the classic arbitrage things. Buying shit here for X, selling it there for >X. Unfortunately I simply don’t have the means (capital) to make a good living off of it. I’m not exactly broke, but I am kind of cycling on a string around it.

A chance thread on a forum completely and utterly unrelated to marketing told the tale of a guy who got fired who was now making more than his boss in the CPV affiliate marketing game. Yeah, I wanna be that guy.

Problem is, my list of marketable skills in affiliate marketing range from being none to actively detrimental. I have no idea how websites work, I can’t graphic design to save my Dog’s life (sorry Caesar) and I know nothing about the art of selling shit to people.

Good start.

The Journey So Far

Well, I’m not really sure what I’m doing. Here’s where all you good folks will hopefully be able to do this for…I mean help me.

I don’t really know anything about affiliate marketing. So I decided to do the same thing I do whenever I encounter a new area of knowledge.

I HIT GOOGLE.

Big mistake.

Needless to say my brain is so full of useless and conflicting information that it’s exploded and has been sent off for a refund.

The Plan

In light of my painful lack of capital, I've decided to focus in on free marketing. I’m sure CPV is a million times more profitable but I have no doubt that I’ll cause the local banking sector to collapse if I tried it at the moment.

So I'm going to have a go at free traffic. I kind of like the idea of having my own websites relating to specific topics. I kind of enjoy writing (despite being shit at it, just ask any of my professors...actually...please don't). I would love to own my own review website for example. That'd be sweet. I'd enjoy it a lot more than getting into dating ads. I know people make more money than sovereign mints pump out but that's something I'll consider down the track.

The Goal

Short Term: Three months, be making at least $500 USD a week. That'll give me a platform to be able to legitimately say to myself that this a potential career pathway. Any less and I'll have to grovel for a real job while doing this sort of thing on the side.

Long Term: I want the ability to make the same sort of salary that I was expecting to make with my degree, so about 60-100k a year. EVENTUAL GOAL GUYS. Hopefully more but that’s probably my comfort level.

Very Long Term: Buy myself a gas stove-top, because waiting for the electric element on my stove to heat up is getting old really damn quick.

Umm....hello?

Welcome, Arkin. That's quite an introduction, very entertaining!

First of all, congrats on your recent graduation! It'll be nice having a resident lawyer in our midst. :)

It's sucks that you weren't able to find a job in your field but on the bright side, now you have time to hang out with us and we're fun. (Somebody back me up on this!)

Information overload is very typical in the beginning. Lucky for you, you are now an official AFixer! Soon, you'll be able to study your chosen area with laser-like focus and ask direct questions whenever you need to. You'll even get an answer.

May I suggest you start here: Wiki

And here: Newbie Questions and Answers

The threads on those pages will help you with the fundamentals. Again, ask a question when you get stumped. There are people in this forum who are experienced in a variety of areas and can really be a huge help.

I don't want to be a downer but $500/wk in three months might be a tad ambitious if you have no idea what you're going to do. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, though. In these sorts of instances, I love it when I'm wrong.

By the way, I have a gas stove. Eat your heart out. :)

Last edited:
MI
Back