propellerads adcombo
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Suggestion Forum Arrangements

Discussion in 'Support and Feedback' started by Marc, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Marc

Marc 武士- Spamurai moderator affiliate

Hi K & TJ,

after watching the newbies for quite a time I'd like to suggest some new arrangements for the forums and subforums:

1) Moving the Introductions to the first place in the Newbie Affiliate Marketing and making the Introductions the first subforum in there.

2) Moving the Newbie Affiliate Marketing to the top of AFix, because it'll be the first thing newbies will see once they log in.

3) Adding something like "Please Start Here" or "Please Read First" to the headline of Newbie Affiliate Marketing. Thus, the headline would read something like this: Newbie Affiliate Marketing - Please Read First

4) Summarizing some subforums in these forums: Technical and Creative,
    Business and Infrastructure + Business Resources and Marketplace: E.g. combining Hosting + Scripts, Copywriting + Design, Research + Testing etc.

5) Moving The Dojo to the last place in AFix, because Dojo members are usually advanced members and will easily find The Dojo also at the end of AFix.
    In addition, The Dojo could thus be a kind of symbol for "The House at the End of the Road".

In summary, my suggestion for the arrangement of the forums would be:

Newbie Affiliate Marketing - Please Read First
    Introductions
    What is Affiliate Marketing? (START HERE)
    Newbie Helpdesk
    Learn and Share
    Follow Alongs & Case Studies
    Official Coachings & Courses
    Succes Stories & Bragging
    General Affiliate Marketing
    ...​
    Business, Resources & Legal
    ...​
    Technical and Creative
    ...​
    General Forums
    ...​
    Home at last - The Dojo

As always, just a suggestion ;)

Regards

Marc.

game333 and azgold like this.
  2. azgold

azgold Moderator moderator affiliate

I think that's a great idea! So many of them can't seem to find it, or don't know to look for it.

Sorry, Marc but I have to disagree with you on this one.

a) Every forum I've ever seen or been on has the paid forum near the top. You paid, so it's elite. Newbies salivate to get to that level. It's like an exclusive, private club. Actually, that's exactly what it is.

b) You paid, you get top of the forums privilege, no scrolling necessary, no muscle spams in your index finger from working a mouse or your phone screen. :D

Marc likes this.
  3. Marc

Marc 武士- Spamurai moderator affiliate

No problem at all, it was just a suggestion, and I didn't see that point of view...

A bit of sports doesn't harm, but you're also right here, in these spheres all movements are performed by the Butler :)

4. azgold

azgold Moderator moderator affiliate

Between this and the Last Post forum, I'm getting quite a workout!

That's right! :D

5. K

K Administrator Administrator affiliate

Great suggestions thank you Marc.

Thoughts on these @T J Tutor

Marc likes this.
  6. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Administrator moderator affiliate

I've thought this through many times and always come to the same conclusions. We need to be appealing to all levels of marketers. Marc's suggestions place too much emphasis on the Newbie. We already make the Newbies very prominent, we don't want to scare off the more experienced marketers from coming here to participate and contribute. We also want the more experienced marketers to feel they can up their game here as well.

Introductions should not be in the Newbies area as not all members joining us are Newbies. Introductions are not threads that members seek out for return visits once they have settled in, therefore, I don't see a need to make the Introductions forum more prominent. I've given this some thought on this a number of times over the past year. I always come back to the same conclusions. If it were to be moved, then maybe move it up one level from the General Discussions to beside the General Discussions in the General Forums category. No need to make it more prominent than this. New members are prompted to make an introduction and once they do, their post is then in the New Posts as well as showing in the Most Recent Posts List at the top.

This is taking a top down approach, progressing from Newbies at the top to the more experienced at the bottom. This isn't appropriate, it simply isn't the message we want to send. To be honest, the current organization is excellent. It is structured so that both the experienced and the Newbies have choices at the top. I feel the current category organization shouldn't be modified except with maybe a couple of minor adjustments as I note below.

You are talking about amending the category title. The "What Is Affiliate Marketing? sub forum already says "Start Here". I don't think it's necessary to place extra emphasis on the category title by saying "Start Here". It would be redundant.

While we are known to be a Newbie friendly community, we want to be thought of overall as a "go to" community for all marketers at every level. If we structure the categories with a top down approach, we make the category distribution look like a training forum where you go from "Module 1 Newbies", to "Module X Dojo". It makes it look too much like one has to achieve levels.

Personally I like the the top three categories exactly like they are. Any paid services (like the Dojo, or any other paid programs) should always be at the top of the categories for two reasons.
    1. One, it keeps the paid services above the fold, in the most prominent location, and in the minds of anyone that has not yet joined the paid services (the location helps the trigger). Paid members of anything in the Executive Forum want to see their forum access in a prominent position. After all, it's a psychological VIP pride thing.
    2. Anyone that has paid for a service, or program, wants to feel they are in a special group and demoting the category to the bottom of the page defeats this.
    No, this disorganizes more than organizes. I strongly oppose this restructuring. It's like trying to fix something that isn't broken.

I have to completely disagree with this. Dojo, and any paid services should stay at the top and above the fold.

Introductions should not be in the Newbies category. Introductions are for everyone, not for Newbies alone.

If the Coaching, Programs, and Courses forum were to be moved, it should be moved to the Executive Forums and Coaching Category. After all, they are paid services and programs. "Learn and Share" is the title, not "Buy, Learn, and Share"

The only changes, in my opinion, would be as follows:
    1. Maybe move the Coaching, Programs, and Courses to the Executive Forum.
    2. Move the Introductions Forum up one level to reside next to the General Discussions and Lounge.
    The rest is too dramatic a change and I feel less productive and definitely disorienting. It would result in a disruptive flow. Our current category flow is remarkably good and really doesn't warrant any dramatic changes.

Over all, I think the current structure of categories is great and flows quite nicely. I am a writer at heart. In writing we know to offer a small, but elegant, set of information at the beginning of a story so that all readers have something to look forward to in the story to come. We have this now with the top three categories. Something for everyone. The top three categories address the VIP (Executive Category), The Newbie (Newbie Affiliate Category), and the Enthusiast (the Learn and Share Category). This is a proven architecture in all information venues. No matter whether it's books, blogs, or forums, this formula works the best and altering this formula would be an error in my opinion.

There have been a lot of refinements to the layout of the categories and forums through the years and I think what we currently have fits well with the needs of the membership. I feel that most of the above suggestions above result in disruptive flow and not an improvement on the current flow. I appreciate the effort, but the flow of this communities categories and sub-forums have been shifted and refined to the point where they "purr like the AM29 V-12 of an Aston Martin Rapide S!", a smooth roar of power and with a distinctive and proven style.

My 2 Cents

K, Marc and Daria_WapEmpire like this.

Featured Resources (View All)

adsxposed