The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

[Follow along] How to create your first profitable campaign on mobile!

comegetbravo

Okay, here we go.

After lurking around this forum for a long time, it's now time for me to give back, and here I will post a case study of a campaign that I've been running for a little more than 2 weeks now (I won't post the campaign as long as it's live, but it'll come soon :))

I'll guide you through the ups and downs of the campaign, because believe me, if you haven't had a difficult campaign yet, you're in for a surprise.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that I, as many on this forum is not a native English speaker, so typos will occur.

Now the campaign I'll be writing this about is an Antivirus campaign for a low tier country, I won't be giving away too many details as I don't really want to create competition but I'll give some scenarios and obstacles that you might face, and how to overcome them.

Campaign planning

This is probably the most important part.

1. Identify your goal
Is your goal a $10k/day campaign, a campaign for learning, or a $10/day campaign?

2. How will you achieve your goal?
Which traffic source are you going to use? What's your campaign budget, i.e how much are you comfortable losing if things turn south?

3. Do some reconnaissance
If you don't have a spy tool, I highly recommend adplexity, as you can actually see exactly which landers your compeitions is using for that exakt offer you're planning to promote!
If you can't afford or don't want to, do some manual spying with your favorite VPN provider and smartphone, or with Opera Mobile Classic Emulator | Opera

4. Select your landing pages that you want to split test, I'd advise that you also split test the same or a similar offer on another network.
For the campaign I'll be writing about, I tried around 12 offers in total before I found the best converter, then when I had found the best offer I saw that there were other networks running it aswell.
Network A: had a good CR for me and was giving me steady profits each day.
Network B: had a 20% higher payout than Network A, but was shaving/scrubbing my conversions.
Network C: had a 10% higher payout than Network A and 0 shaving/scrubbing (personal contact with network owner)

5. Become emotionally detached
I get it, it really sucks wathing the stats at the end of the day and seeing a big fat RED number on the ROI/Profit tab in your tracker, but acting with your gut instinct and panicking when you're not getting any conversions isn't going to help, it'll actually aggravate the situation and you'll end up shutting down the campaign or lose unnecessary money.

Campaign setup

How're you going to set up your campaign?

What targeting should you use? How many different campaigns should you set up?

Personal tip: Better too many campaigns, than too few.

You should set up your campaign to account for different variables so you can identify the winning variables and cut the losing variables, this can in some cases mean that you'll have to set up a lot of campaigns.
I6ag4GW.png

This was my initial setup (I'm using Adsbridge for tracking if the UI is unfamiliar with you)
As you can see, I've got 16 different campaigns set up, the campaigns account for different variables, such as OS, Carrier, Bid, etc. It's a pain in the ass and takes a lot of time to set it up, but it's worth it, you'll thank yourself later if you take the time and set everything up correctly.

After a day or two of running a setup with this many variables you'll see some results on what's converting and what's not - now you can begin optimizing (I'll get to optimization later).

Some tips on what you can split test from the beginning:

1: Bids
Set up stagnated bids, i.e set up the same campaign with different bids, higher bids will result in getting more quality placements, but will cost you more, lower bids will receive worse traffic quality but is usually Much cheaper, but you will have to split test this to see what kind of traffic works best for your landing pages and offers.

2: Carriers
If your offer is a PIN submit (like mine is) there will usually be guidelines on what carriers are accepted, set up one campaign for each carrier, and if you want to - set these up with different bids NOTE: It's very important that you don't change these bids throughout the day as that will heavily impact the performance and statistics, remember "Become emotionally detached"? Even if you clearly see that a bid is doing bad, keep it running til the end of the day - the hours you're running will affect the results, so pausing a placement or a campaign because it's been performing badly during 1 hour is not very smart and could result in you missing out on money.

3: OS
If your offer accepts different OS (Android + iOS, Windows, etc) Set up different campaigns for these different operating systems.

4: Categories
I'm running my campaign on PopAds, which allows me to test different categories
1O9qvZX.png

I don't recommend that you split test any categories except Adult and non-adult as the others can be quite skewed when it comes to which sites are which category..

But set up two campaigns, one with adult and one without.

5: Smartphone vs Tablets
Normally tablets don't perform at all and most of the time it does terribly, but eventually you might find an offer that converts well for tablets, and you'll have a lot of traffic with next to zero competition, since nobody's targeting tablets.

There you go, now you can set up a campagin and start running it, I'll update thread sometime next week, in the meantime you should start a campaign and test the waters.

Go ahead and hit the "Subscribe" button to get a notification when I update this thread!

Awesome, I just started with mobile. This should be good :) I'm having a hard time choosing a traffic source. I'm debating between Propeller Ads, ZeroPark and PopAds. What would you recommend? Preferably one that has the ability to really optimize many variables. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing this information on the guides buddy. It is very worth reading through. I will say that it is not only important for newbies but also to the people who are starting on a new network or niche. In fact, this is how you set up and get ready to hit the affiliate marketing world. It is very easy when you document all this so that each day you are able to read and see where you have reached so far.

Hi @comegetbravo

Great guide there... Subscribed

One question.. How do you split the testing budget between all the campaigns. And How much would it be ?

Cheers

Last edited:
Okay, I'm back.

I'll post what I did for the first week, as this was the most difficult period of the campaign.

Day 1: Launch.

I had set up 8 landers and 2 offers.

I let these run for a couple of hours before optimizing them.

These were the stats for the first 5 hours:

Landers:
Pp8dfCq.png

Offers:
3ZCBQLP.png

(Due to tracker not capturing all visits, the Cost, Profit and ROI are not showing the real numbers, add roughly 15-18% of the cost if you want to find out the real numbers) But as you can see, 2 landers showed promising results, I kept running those while pausing the others.

I had chosen 2 offers with different payouts from different networks to split test, I kept running both offers for quite some time as their ROI was quite similar and I could actually see some data on big placements performing better for one offer than the other, this way I could set up rules in the tracker and direct the traffic that was working for which offer to that offer.

I also checked the stats for 3G (mobile) vs WIFI:

tEytQ9i.png

As you can see 3G has a better ROI, but nowhere near as much traffic as WIFI.
(I decided to continue with both)

If you have a really small budget and just want to get a small profitable campaign that can get you $1-10 profit per day, you could chose to continue with only running 3G - (in this case).

At the end of the day these were the results for the landers I continued with:
SRzlb0R.png

So both landers are performing quite equally, the reason ROI dropped so significantly was because I hadn't done any other optimization yet, no placement banned, no day parting (stopping traffic during unprofitable hours) - In my case, simply day parting would make this a positive ROI. (You want to make sure you have solid data before day parting though..)

Then I went on and banned bad placements, I did however, for the placements with huge volume set up separate campaigns for them and optimizing them separately (day parting, models, carriers, offer)

As the campaign is still going strong for me I don't want to reveal too much info, sorry.

Okay, I'm back.

I'll post what I did for the first week, as this was the most difficult period of the campaign.

Day 1: Launch.

I had set up 8 landers and 2 offers.

I let these run for a couple of hours before optimizing them.

These were the stats for the first 5 hours:

Landers:
Pp8dfCq.png

Offers:
3ZCBQLP.png

(Due to tracker not capturing all visits, the Cost, Profit and ROI are not showing the real numbers, add roughly 15-18% of the cost if you want to find out the real numbers) But as you can see, 2 landers showed promising results, I kept running those while pausing the others.

I had chosen 2 offers with different payouts from different networks to split test, I kept running both offers for quite some time as their ROI was quite similar and I could actually see some data on big placements performing better for one offer than the other, this way I could set up rules in the tracker and direct the traffic that was working for which offer to that offer.

I also checked the stats for 3G (mobile) vs WIFI:

tEytQ9i.png

As you can see 3G has a better ROI, but nowhere near as much traffic as WIFI.
(I decided to continue with both)

If you have a really small budget and just want to get a small profitable campaign that can get you $1-10 profit per day, you could chose to continue with only running 3G - (in this case).

At the end of the day these were the results for the landers I continued with:
SRzlb0R.png

So both landers are performing quite equally, the reason ROI dropped so significantly was because I hadn't done any other optimization yet, no placement banned, no day parting (stopping traffic during unprofitable hours) - In my case, simply day parting would make this a positive ROI. (You want to make sure you have solid data before day parting though..)

Then I went on and banned bad placements, I did however, for the placements with huge volume set up separate campaigns for them and optimizing them separately (day parting, models, carriers, offer)

As the campaign is still going strong for me I don't want to reveal too much info, sorry.
Hi where are you hosting your LP's ? CDN or VPS ?

banners
Back