The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Disclosure positioning

sarahw1979

affiliate
Hi all,

I am new to affiliate marketing. I have read in Rakuten's guideline that disclosures need to be above the fold of the website. I have seen many sites put them in the footer. Will Rakuten accept my site if it is on the footer of every page? I want to be compliant, but also don't want it to be unnecessarily distracting to the readers on my site. I would therefore be grateful if anyone can direct me to good examples of how to be compliant without being too distracting. Thanks in advance.

FTC: "should be disclosed clearly and conspicuously"

Rakuten Disclosure Guidelines

Rakuten: "Ensure your disclosure appears ‘above the fold,’ meaning the visitor doesn’t have to scroll down to see it. Placing your disclosure ‘above the fold’ makes it easy for the visitor to identify"

Analogy, (harsh one): Joe gets arrested selling crack in the housing project and pleads with the Judge:

"Al and Bob sell crack there and they don't get arrested ..."
Judge tells Joe: "They didn't get caught --you did!"

Rakuten has interpreted the FTC ruling to be applied in their best interests and how to do it clearly and conspicuously
In my opinion, and that is of no real value in this matter: Rakuten has interpreted the FTC ruling in the CYA (cover your ass) using a rather harsh position.

MI
Back